1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 1910 or 2910

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ZeroT, Mar 19, 2005.

Tags:
  1. ZeroT

ZeroT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm getting the Toshiba 46" DLP Screen and have been looking at the Denon DVD players.

My question is what do you really get for you extra money (almost £300) on the 2910.

1910 - £182
    2910 - £475

Physically the 2910 has a HDMI port and the 1910 only a DVI. The Tosh also has a HDMI but I'm sure the picture from both players will be the same (1910 DVI->HDMI, 2910 HDMI->HDMI)

Please help as I want to get one of them but £300 is a big differance!

2. andy c!

andy c!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI,
    Have done this demo at home, into a Philips 32pf9986 and a Denon 2805 reciever.

The 1910 was good picture and audio wise, but the 2910 was about 10% better at picture, and about 30% better at sound, plus its future proof for me having both dvi/hdmi which you can switch between on the player itself, so as and when I get a projector I can use the hdmi for that, leaving the dvi plugged into the TV.

If you shop round you can get the 2910 for less that £500.00

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/

andy c

3. andy c!

andy c!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I purchased thew 2805 on the say so of my dealer, who's opinion I trust as he has supplied me with my Naim 2 channel stuff. I didn't try the other Denon items you mention, but my mate is looking at the 1905 and 2105, and will probably go for the latter due to its set-up features and video switching.

Personally If you don't need the universal nature of the 2910, and the reciever is your only amp (you are not piggy backng it onto a 2 channel pre) I would spend as much on the reciever as I could afford. If you are just using the reciever for surround duties, and with no two-channel (CD) needed, you could compromise the reciever and get the better DVD Player.

FWIW the 2910 is a lot better with CD than the 1910.

I did compare the 2805 to the Yamaha 1500RVS - the Denon sounded better imo and also has better set-up and menu's.

I considered the 1910 into 2105, but then thought for the extra -stuff it lol :D

hope this helps,

andy c!

4. andy c!

andy c!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tony,

I don't think you will go wrong with the 2805 - especially in DTS the reciever goes very loud and is very clear - obviously due to the extra power available. I have mine piggy backed into a Naim pre-power for the front left/right's and the combo performs seamlessly with music e.g. sky+ channels.

I would hold out for the 2910 as well - have you seen this site:
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-...er=15&maxprice=0&deInt=0&mpeg=0#DenonDVD-2900

It shows the benefits etc the 2910 has.

One thing I have found is that if I copy a DVD on any faster than 2x they start to pixellate after about an hours viewing on the dvd player. At 2x they play fine. Strange, eh?

regards,

andy c!

5. nwhitta

nwhitta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I read the review on the site. To me, it reads that the 2900 is better than the 2910 which you might expaect as the 2900 has ben replaced by the 3910. The good news is that the 2900 is still available in some shops and at a discounted price of around £400. In fact I have just bought one myself.

6. andy c!

andy c!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the 2900 is a good buy provided you dn't want hdmi/dvi....

if you do, like i did, you are better going for the 2910...

JMHO...

andy c!

7. Ymegod

Ymegod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I too have just bought a 2900, at a cracking price, and I am very happy. A couple of small problems with discs I have burned from the hard drive of my DVD Recorder but apart from that absolutely excellent.
    Not bothered about HDMI/DVI yet. When it is all sorted out I shall look again and possibly buy a machine with the money I have saved on my 2900.

8. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    The 2910 also has a better Faroudja de-interlacer than the 1910. The 1910 has a DCDi FLI-2301 and the 2910 has a DCDi FLI-2310. Not much of a change in name, but this results in a reduction of macroblocking that the 1910 can suffer from.

9. andy c!

andy c!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ymegod,

slow down you burn speed to 2x if you can, and use a 4x dvd-r. You'll find you don't get any pixellation then. I had this issue with my 2910 but experimented with dvd shrink etc... Also in dvd shrink there is an option re enabling better encoding which results in less pixellation.

I also burn two discs - one for 2.0 and 5.1 DD, and 1 for DTS (if the disc has dts)

andy c!