1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 1910 or 2910???

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by CLH, Nov 25, 2004.

1. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I intend to use the DVI socket on either of these players to feed a Sharp LCD.

Question is which to choose???

I won't be using an AV amp so sound quality isn't really an issue.

But who knows what the future might bring. Is it false economy to opt for the 1910???

2. banjo21

banjo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    I dont know how true it is but I went into a dealer last weekend and asked the same question. The response was...
    The 1910 is far inferior to the 2910 in terms of scart/component outputs HOWEVER it is exactly the same in terms of DVI output. They were his words. Exactly same chips and connections he said on DVI.
    I dont have a digital connection yet so I walked away but may be good info for you. I personally want a top notch component output for now but on a player that has HDMI for the future. Lot of unhappy Denon owners on this forum I see - so I'm waiting for another recommendation. Maw recommended Onkyo, but no digi out on <£600 range.

3. Hilbert_T

Hilbert_T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi CLH/Banjo21,

I'm new to posting on the forums but have been lurking for a while. I've just bought a 1910 mainly due to info that I have gleaned form the DVD forum so I thought I should give some info back.

First off I'm very pleased with the machine and more importantly the picture quality through DVI (to a Sharp XV200 projector) is absoultely stunning. I've not experienced any of the picture problems others have reported; I use mostly PAL region 2 disks. The sound is good too, even with CD, but since I am outputing the digital stream to an AV amp (Yamaha 1400 and Kef Eggs) I suspect that has nothing to do with the DVD player :) .

In short I would recommend the 1910 whole heartedly. I got mine from Technikdirekt in Germany, a little bit slow (3 weeks) but well worth the wait considering how much I saved on it.

Hope that helps

Regards,

Hilbert Transform

4. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hard isn't it. On the one hand I believe that the 1910 has the same DVi connections, on the other hand I might find myself kicking myself for not buying the 2910 and thinking I'd got an inferior product.

What HiFi were quite scathing of the non DVi picture this month saying it was hardly better than a Toshiba 340.

But don't they rate the 340 as 5 stars in the first place???

5. awhb

awhb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing that may (or not) be of relevance to you is the the region-free firmware mods for the 2910 (& 3910) are available on the web, but I have yet to see it for the 1910. Obviously though, of little consequence if you dealer does it for you or... shock... horror... you only buy rip-off R2 discs!
    :D

A

6. Hilbert_T

Hilbert_T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rip-off R2 disks? I suppose they are abit more expensive at $1.80 exchange rate, but you get the superior resolution of PAL and no need for 3:2 pulldown and all that malarky. Seems like a false economy to by an expensive DVD player 2910 and play crap inferior media on them.

Cheers

Hilbert

7. banjo21

banjo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    U think they meant comparable to the Tosh 340 on component or not a patch on?

I read the same article, they were not clear and it appears imho they mean not a patch on......