1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 1910 Is Jaw Dropping

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by RB5 Paul, Apr 25, 2005.

1. RB5 Paul

RB5 Paul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Bought one of these on saturday to use via dvi with my hitachi 32pd5200 and all i can say is wow,the picture quality is amazing,don't know what macro blocking is but it sounds painful,the picture and sound from this machine are top quality and i haven't noticed any defects at all.

If you havent got one yet run to the shops and treat yourself :D

2. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Good to hear some positive comments about the player for a change - glad youre pleased with it.

Currently Im trying to choose between one of these and a 2910!

Whats the build quality like?

3. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I'm rather attached to my 2910. I believe it has a better Faroudja chip and it plays SACDs and DVD-As. The Denon website has a good comparison tool.

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I would partly agree with your comments, the DVD-1910 is not bad using the DVI socket, sill not as good as other players further up the range. However using the DVD-1910 with any other type of video connection it is completely rubbbish, in fact one of the worst pictures I've seen in a long time.

5. alefsin

alefsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There is a myth floating around that says 2910 uses a better Faroudja than 1910. 2190 uses FLI-2310 and 1910 uses FLI-2301. By comparing the datasheets, it is clearly that these chips are basically identical. The only difference is that FLI-2301 has internal Video DACs and provides both digital and analog outputs. Now, on the more expensive player like 2910, Denon has used the version of the chip that does only have digital outputs and has added top quality video DACs to get a better analog output than 1910. As such, the quality of the output of these two systems on the digital connector is IDENTICAL. So if you don't care for extra features of 2910 (that none are related to the Faroudja chip it uses) like SACD and would only like to watch normal DVDs via a digital connection, the both sets will give you exactly the same output.

6. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Analogue wise though its best to stick for the 2910?

7. RB5 Paul

RB5 Paul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The build quality of the player is very good as well in my opinion,it's got a really nicely finished front panel looks very nice.
    The only bad bit is the ugly remote but i've got an all in one thing that i use so i don't need to look at that bit lol.
    Unfortunatly if you want to change the dvi output from 576p to 720p and 1080i you have to press the button on the front of the machine,but as it looks so good on 1080i i've just left it on that.

One thing i have noticed is that you see more of the picture on 1080i than on 576p,i'd imagine it's how my telly deals with the signals.

I've not looked at the 2910 but as i only use my player for video playback i can't see as how the picture could be any better,saying that i'm just a regular bloke and not into the in depth ins and outs of how these players work.

8. alefsin

alefsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Absolutely.