1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

denon 1910 dvi will not fill the screen??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by acabucca, Feb 17, 2005.

1. acabucca

acabucca
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I'm a novice to all this dvi lark.

I recieved my new sharp 37ga3 today and also bought the denon 1910 purely for dvi.

I am having problems with region 2 dvd, they only fill up half the screen???

If i use a region 1 disc it works fine.

Can someone please tell me whats going on??

I don't know if its the tv or the denon.

:lease:

2. McE

McE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    are you in 720p mode on the player and "pc-digital" on the Sharp side?

I have the same problem with my HD745 but you have to select "AV-Digital" as DVI input and everything should be fine.

3. Loewe

Loewe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same TV (but version 4) and player, and I am dissappointed with DVI. Not much sharper on 720, even on better films, and 1080 is visible interlaced also on TV. Worst of all: The dark scenes are greenish via DVI. I use a simple PC-screen cable, but I don't think thats causing it. I think component (interlaced, the TV does a better progressive job than most players!) is a bit green too. But S-video is absolutely perfect though!

I have turned contrast up (to about +35 on TV and about +3 on player) and brightness down to -3 on player and 0 on TV to get the best blacks in a darkened room and gamma on player up to +4 to for detailed dark scenes while preserving the black. I think turning down the gamma helps a bit but then I loose darker details.

4/3-films get stretched via DVI, must use analog connection (auto format).

Jpegs on CD (cannot use DVD) are stunning on this player!

I love the TV, but RGB (via Scart) gives visible banding/gradiations

4. McE

McE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Good to know... I was thinking I should have better bought the Denon instead of the Samsung. I never tried S-Video yet. Thought DVI, component, Scart RGB is better than S-Video...

But to anybody: Hook up your PC via DVI and tweak the Video-overlay settings in the graficscard menu... simply amazing quality that the samsung could never beat!! sharper, no artifacts at all, better blacks, better contrast and even less motion blur (PAL) with hardware acceleration enabled.... (Gainward 6800GT GS)

I'm going to buy a silent barebone and install a mediacenter.

5. LcdGuru

LcdGuru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    > Hook up your PC via DVI and tweak the Video-overlay settings
    > in the graficscard menu... simply amazing quality that the samsung
    > could never beat!!

I hope the HD745 is not as bad as you say: I've got one on order.:rolleyes:

> sharper, no artifacts at all, better blacks, better
    > contrast and even less motion blur (PAL)

Perhaps the PC gives you better control over sharpness - and with a PC you can generate the native 1366x768 and run the screen in dot-by-dot mode - iso scaling up 720p. However, I would expect black and white to map perfectly to 0 and 255 over the digital link - so blacks and contrast should be perfect from a DVI DVD player. I've seen some posts about reduced 8-bit data range from DVD players (16-235 iso 0-255). Perhaps this is the problem? I'll test mine when it arrives and post the results.

I'm also confused about how motion blur can be better via PC if the underlying digital data and frame rate are the same...

> with hardware acceleration enabled.... (Gainward 6800GT GS)
    > I'm going to buy a silent barebone

I'd be interested to hear how that goes: I don't really want a noisey PC in the TV room. The GA4 fans make enough noise already :(

6. Barnetto

Barnetto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting stuff. I have the Sharp 26GA3 and was thinking about getting either the Denon 1910 or the Samsung for the DVI - but with your comments here and all the other stuff on the forums about macroblocking, I think I might just go back to my first idea of getting the Pioneer 575 with Component only which you can get for £100.

Any thoughts on whether either the Denon or Samsung might be better for component or any other reason (ignoring the DVI)?

7. LcdGuru

LcdGuru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a bit concerned about the gamma control on the DVD player.
    Basically, if the link to the TV is only 8-bits per colour (DVI) then any gamma adjustment in the player will result in greyscale quantisation. IMHO the player should just deliver the raw 8-bit data without adjustment or degredation - and leave it to the TV set to make adjustments - since the TV has more dynamic range for adjustment (eg. 10-bit internal processing + analog controls over the LCD drive).

My advice would be to leave the player gamma as 'linear' or 'off' and adjust your TV instead.

If connecting via analog (eg. component or Y/C) then the output DAC is prolly 10-bits so you have the extra resolution to allow gamma adjustments without greyscale quantisation. Maybe that's why your component looks better than DVI?

8. McE

McE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have currently a P4 D0 @ 4Ghz, 6800GT GS @ Ultra, 1024MB XL Corsair, Creative Audigy 2 ZS (yes I'm proud :D )... in an Lian Li PC71 with a H20 cooling system... no noise... only thing I hear when I watch a movie is the DVD-Rom.

So I wont buy a barebone but a Logitech diNovo Media Desktop 2 with bluetooth and simply hook up my pc with the 10m long DVI cable I own. The number block of the logitech keyboard is detachable and can be used as a remote.

The samsung does not show all blacks (THX optimizer 7 out of 10 :() in dvi mode. And I have still problems to get rid of the pixalation of colors. If there's a face on the screen you can count the colors on the nose with one hand... I had that with the 32GD1E aswell but somehow I got rid of it and I don't know how I did it... my new 37GA4E is still suffering from it... but first I was impressed by the player... till I saw some HD stuff on my PC and then tried watching a DVD with it :(

9. LcdGuru

LcdGuru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's one hell of an expensive DVD player. :)

I've got some test kit which lets me probe the range of video data values coming out of the DVI port - I'll test my HD745 and let you guys know what I find.

10. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    For the money the HD745 is pretty damn good value. Had mine a week and am impressed.

PQ is not quite up to Denon 1910 or Cambridge DVD79, but pretty close (after comparative testing). But of course with the Samsung you can upscale on both DVI and Component all the way up to 1080i including native 760p for the Sharps. All for £110, which is in the same price bracket as non scaling prog component players !

I find best results to date on 1080i component (crisp, good colour balance, deep blacks) or native 1366x768 on DVI with the Sharp LC32GA4 in PC mode (v little pixellation, very sharp images). I find PC Mode on DVI is better than AV Mode, with less artifacts (no tv scaling) and slightly better blacks (but blacks are even better in component).

No probs with lip synch or macroblocking, or the face colour issues MCE has mentioned (yet ?).

Still experimenting with settings and will feedback more after calibrating with dve this weekend.

:clap:

11. McE

McE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    but the 768p of the samsung is only 1024x768 even if the scaled image on 1366x768 has the right aspect ratio... right?

12. Barnetto

Barnetto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone clear up this issue for me? If I get a Denon 1910 and play a 4/3 (old BBC) DVD through the DVI input to my Sharp 26GA3, will the either the Denon or the LCDTV either be able to format it to fill the screen or will I be stuck with a 4/3 box in the centre of the display?? (Will it be the same for all DVI connected DVD players, eg Samsung 745 and CA DVD79?)

I asked someone in Sevenoaks S&V this question at the weekend and he thought it wouldn't be a problem, the DVD would output to fit it to the 16:9 format of the screen.

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    PC wise, the screen needs a 60Hz refresh rate at native res. This will give some frame rate conversion judder. I find it's not too bad on Sharp LCDs, but noticeable all the same. Have a look at the rolling credits, youll see it there.

14. Loewe

Loewe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All movies will fill up your screen via DVI with Denon 1910. But that's the problem; 4/3-stuff will be stretched horizontally (squeezed vertically). This is the case with Cambridge Audio DVD79 too.

But via analog connections (at least S-video) the 1910 and Sharp TV communicates perfect; the TV shifts automatically between 16/9 (full) and 4/3. Very practical, at least with mixed films. This is not the case with CA DVD79, where you'll have to shift manually. At least with the version i tested. With DVI you can't watch 4/3-stuff right (that is with borders on each side) on either of these players. I think you can with Denon 2910 and 3910. Anybody nows?