1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

denon 1910 - disable HDCP

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gilgul, Dec 23, 2004.

1. gilgul

gilgul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have the code to disable HDCP protection on the denon 1910 so it can be hooked up via DVI to a non HDCP DVI display ???

Please help me if you can. I have a NEC VP42 plasma with DVI-D which, as it turns out, is not HDCP compatible, and have already purchased the Denon 1910.

Thanks a lot!

Gil :mad: :lease:

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I don't think you'll be able to turn off the HDCP encryption in the 1910 - sorry.

Cheers, Lee

3. chubbyandy

chubbyandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Lee,

What happens if you run DVI from a player that is DVI HDCP compliant to a plasma display with a DVI input that is NOT HDCP compliant?

Thanks

Merry Christmas BTW

4. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Cant say but it might not work. I think both need to be HDCP.

5. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    You'll get no picture

6. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Or if you do get an image it will keep breaking up.

Cheers, Lee

7. gilgul

gilgul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Will there not be a hack or a firmware update that will workaround the HDCP encription?

8. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I doubt it with Denon

9. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    HDCP will only be used for copy protected material. So you would get a pciture with Lord Of The Rings for instance, since it is not CP, but most other discs you will get nothing.

-Ian

10. chubbyandy

chubbyandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whoa! So if I get, e.g., the Denon 2910 DVI (HDCP compliant, hopefully) output to a display which has DVI (not HDCP) I can't watch most of my DVDs? BTW how would I know if a dvd is CP or not? If the above holds true, then the plasma which I am eyeing is totally useless to me as I am considering it because it has a DVI input (i am not sure if it is HDCP, brochure does not state that it is). If it is not HDCP then I will probably go for a cheaper universal DVD player with no HMDI or DVI.

11. chubbyandy

chubbyandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can anyone confirm this HDCP thingie. I am now really confused!

12. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Think of HDCP as digital macrovision.
    Over analogue output you would have macrovision on most commercial discs. When outputting digitally commercial DVD's would be flagged to invoke HDCP on playback.

Discs you have made yourself from camcorder etc (or ripped DVD's with DVDshrink etc) would not have any copy protection so should be OK for vieweing over a digital connection.

13. chubbyandy

chubbyandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you so much for this info. Really entlightening. Can anyone recommend a good universal dvd player without hdmi or dvi for about half the price of the denon 2910? How a the pioneer univeral dvd players? Or even the denon 2200? Audio is extremely important.

Thanks and Merry Christmas guys.

14. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You can still use a player that has HDMI/DVI with HDCP & a acreen that is not HDCP compliant. You would just have to make an analogue connection.

i.e. use the component output connection from DVD player to component input on screen.

HDCP just affects digital a connection.

15. gilgul

gilgul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It works great with the Component connection, but I bought the Denon 1910 for the purpose of using the DVI connection and thus avoiding any D-A or A-D conversion upon connection to my NEC plasma display. Now I'm contemplating on whether I should retrun the denon or wait until someone releases a firmware update that will cancel the HDCP invocation on the denon. Do you think that makes sense?

16. chubbyandy

chubbyandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh I get it now. I am very new at this. Ok, so if display has DVI but not HDCP compliant, then what would one use this DVI port for? Just for additional knowledge.

If the DVI port in the display was HDCP compliant, what kind of improvement in pic quality can one expect, over component, generally speaking that is. Are there cases where the difference is extremely minor, or god forbid, worse?

Thanks for your help and advice.

17. Beastie Boy

Beastie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So yet again the copyright holders have made copied discs more attractive than than the original. If you have a legitimate copy of the original DVD, it may not play over a digital connection, yet if you go down to your local car boot sale you can pick up a pirate copy that will play just fine.
    I have no sympathy with these companies when they complain of falling profits, if they keep coming up with hair-brained schemes like this one which only serve to alienate customers. :mad:

Cheers, Beastie.

18. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    DVI is really a PC connection (although it carries video resolutions) , HDMI is a purposely designed connection for AV. Remember most plasmas have native resolutions that are PC resolutions & they were originally designed as large PC displays. However we are starting to see LCD/Plasmas being brought out with video resolutions (1920x1080 & 1280x720) now.

The non HDCP DVI would have been so you can connect your PC & use the display as a large computer monitor.

Depends on the implementation on that particular display & how it marries with your source. In some cases yes you will get a better picture with an analogue connection over a digital one. In other cases the results will be reversed. You need to find people here who have tried what you want to do with the same equipment, but ultimately you need to view a setup the same as you are proposing over both digital & analogue & see which you prefer. After all you are the one who is going to have to live with it. There are no easy answers with all this I'm afraid

19. chubbyandy

chubbyandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very confused now!!! At a local store this afternoon, the salesman was able to play a DVD, via DVI from a player to a plasma display which he claims the DVI port was NOT HDCP compliant. How could this have happened? Can a DVI cable carry both analogue and digital signals? It was a samsung dvd player to a hitachi plasma (don't know the model numbers). Could the signal via DVI actually be analogue so the fact that the DVI port on the display was not HDCP compliant did not matter. Maybe he was mistaken. The DVI port was actually HDCP compliant. I thought that I had this all figured out, this certainly throws a monkey wrench in the whole HDCP issue.

20. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You can get DVI-D & DVI-I

DVI-D is digital only connection this is the DVI connection on the majority of DVD players

DVI-I can carry digital or analogue , there are very few DVD players that carry this connection. Some from China may. (Momitsu V880 is the only model I know of with DVI-I)

If it was Samsung HD945 player that has HDMI out.

21. chubbyandy

chubbyandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Vonhosen,

I thank you and am very grateful to you for taking the time to explain.

So the player could very well have been spitting out an analogue signal (DVI-I) Can DVI-I carry both digital and analogue signals at the same time or only either/or? Another stupid question ---> how does it know when to do analogue or digital? I seem to recall a DVI-PC or DVI-MOVIES option either from the player or plasma. Maybe that's it. If one chooses the DVI-Movie option, signal becomes analogue. So the salesman could have misled me by saying that I could play movies via DVI even though ithe plasma's DVI port was not HDCP compliant. Unbeknownst to me, it was an analogue signal, just like doing component. DVI port at the display end, or any DVI port for that matter, can accept analogue signals, right?

The reason why I am making sure that I really understand the whole DVI issue is because I am considering this particular display mainly for it's DVI connection. If I am actually still doing analogue, like going component, then I would consider another plasma (cheaper) that I have been eyeing on that does not have a DVI port, and just use the component connection.

22. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I know its confusing, but you really just need to know that if you want a display that is future proof, just get one that is HDCP compliant. Wether its for DVi or HDMI, just make sure its HDCP.

The reason I say this is because any decent DVD players now and in the future that use HDMI or DVI are also HDCP. Future technologies like Blu Ray and HD-DVD will also be HDCP compliant.

Rather than trying to get arround it, you should accept it and get used to it coz its going to be implemented in order to help protect against copyright infringement.

My plasma has an HDCP DVI input and my DVD player (denon 3910) does too. I have no problems runing them together.

I also have an LCD monitor with DVi-i that doesnt.
    Make sure the display you buy is DVi-D and that its HDCP.

Its simple really.
    Just make sure your local currys doesnt try to punt off an old display that isnt HDCP.
    Im sure they will try to off load their old displays to their unknowing customers in order to get new models that are HDCP. Dont be a punter.

Its easier to just get a good display thats future proof rather than geting a cheap display that isnt and keep trying to get arround a stupid problem like HDCP.

23. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    It may have been a non encoded DVD film

24. chubbyandy

chubbyandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi AML,

Thank you very much for your sound advice. I was a little embarassed at the store today cuz I was so sure that I got the whole issue straight with the HDCP issue and was a very confused when the saleman proved me wrong (in front of my family). I am am ticked off that he could have blind-sided me with the DVI-I thingie. Ah well, live and learn.

Thanks guys for all your help....you rock!

25. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Good stuff!
    Im sure its possible to use a DVD player that isnt HDCP with a display that also isnt.
    Like what that guy showed you in the store.

But the truth is, 6 months or a year down the road you WOULD have problems.
    Sales staff dont give a turd about that and they just want to sell whatever they have.

PS. Just rememberd that services like digital TV will also become or already are HDCP! (sky plus) Another reason why it will be necesary in the near future!