• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Denon 1910 and B&W 864 speakers

Sheppy67

Standard Member
I have a Denon 1910 receiver with front left and right B&W 685's and an HTM91 centre speaker. I am considering buying the 684 floorstanders to have at the front and move the 685's to the rear. Does anyone know if the Denon receiver be okay for the 684's. I could go ahead and get the 684's and get a better receiver later or alternatively get the smaller 686's for the rear and keep the 685's at the front. Does anyone have an opinion.

deckingman

My twopence worth.......I think the best way to answer this is to ask yourself if you would prefer floor standing speakers to bookshelf / stand mount. Also, the 684s need a lot of space behind them to sound their best. You don't mention whether you have a sub or not. If you do and you have this set a crossover or around 60 Hz or so, then there isn't a huge amount of difference between the 685s and 684s and in this case, the decision is as much about aesthetics as anything else, and whether you can give the 684s the space they need. If you don't have a sub, then the 684s will help with the bass. Personally, I'd say that both the 685s and 684s would benefit from a bit more amp power than you have but it should be adequate and that could be something for the future. Just my opinion (I have 684s).

Sheppy67

Standard Member
Thanks for that. I don't have a sub at the moment but tbh if there is sufficient bass on the 684's I won't bother. I thought the 685's closer to the wall and the htm61 wasn't too bad for bass either. I appreciate that if I had a bigger room then I would probably need the sub. The other problem i have is the living room is 3.6 x 5.07 metres and I have a window and one end and an opening into the dining room at the other end so need to have tv on the long wall. I could always go for a second pair of 685's then upgrade to 684's later and sell a pair of 685's to go towards the cost.

deckingman

Basically it comes down to this then. 684s floor standers ideally about 20 inches (at least 12) away from the wall. Can you live with that? If not 685s on stands closer to the wall. I'd buy sub too. Something small like the ASW 608 if you want to stay with B&W. Set all speakers to small and the crossover to 60 Hz (lots about this on these forums). The sub has it's own 200w ICE power amp so by using this for the lower frequencies it'll free up some "juice" from your Denon to drive the other speakers.

Also, 686s rather than 685s for the rears would work well and save you some cash.

Just my thoughts. For what it's worth, my room is about the same size as yours and I have 684s, HTM 62 centre, ASW 608 and DS3 tripoles for the rear surrounds (with a Yamaha RX-V3800).

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom