Denon 1910 5.1 not outputting to middle speaker, but only on multi channel modes. Stereo mode OK

Tim 3141

I think my trusty old (11 years!) Denon 1910* is on the blink. I think the HD Audio decoder is faulty.

Does that sound feasible?

Steps taken, checks and background to diagnose
  • The input is a Roku Ultimate (disguised as a Now TV unit). Also had the problem with the Roku 3 that was replaced by the new unit in the hope of fixing the issue
  • The nice blue HD Audio comes on suggesting that the Roku is pushing out the correct signal
  • I'm running a 5.1 setup
  • The middle speaker and wiring are fine. I've checked them and sound clearly comes out of it in Direct/Stereo mode.
  • If I change to standard or cinema mode, the centre channel goes dead.
  • I've replaced the HDMI cable
  • I've tried different HDMI input ports
Thoughts?

I'd rather not replace it unless I really need to.

Thank you!
*This unit was recommended by kind members on this channel. It was a great selection for my needs!

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I've no idea what's going on but this doesn't sound right. The centre speaker should not be involved in stereo. Stereo should be just left and right speakers only (depending on settings the sub as well should be active in stereo mode. Direct mode would just be L&R with a full range signal)

The middle speaker and wiring are fine. I've checked them and sound clearly comes out of it in Direct/Stereo mode.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom