Denon 1910, 2910 or 3910 for Sagem Axium?

johnsagem

Standard Member
Reaction score
The general concensus from both Sagem and Arcam is that I'd get a better picture on my Sagem from a progressive scan player.

I'd love to buy one of the latest Arcam's (I've got a DV88 - a 4 year old model - wonderful on a 28" tv) but they are a little out of my price range.

I'm quite drawn to Denon as they have a reputation for quality, my denon hi-fi certainly sounds impressive, their players look good and most importantly tend to get top notch reviews. The DVI connector is a big plus for me too (once Sagem sort out the HDCP issue!) :)

My dillema is, do I go for the 1910 (~£200), 2910 (~£500) or 3910 (~£800)? They all get good reviews, but I suspect they are relative to their price level.

I'm not interested in DVD-Audio or SACD, my biggest concern is the picture quality.

I can't find a dealer that has all 3 Denons and a Sagem Axium to compare them on.

I'd gladly go for the 3910 if it's going to come anywhere close in quality to my D-VHS player, but if it's only a marginal improvement over the 1910 then I'd rather save the cash :)

Has anyone experience of these 3 players?

John

Am using a 3910 through my axium, no problems at all apart from the AV7 input which handles the progressive scan, this is being replaced. So can give you a better opinion when it is sorted. But via RGB the 3910 looks amazing.

johnsagem said:
The general concensus from both Sagem and Arcam is that I'd get a better picture on my Sagem from a progressive scan player.

I'd love to buy one of the latest Arcam's (I've got a DV88 - a 4 year old model - wonderful on a 28" tv) but they are a little out of my price range.

I'm quite drawn to Denon as they have a reputation for quality, my denon hi-fi certainly sounds impressive, their players look good and most importantly tend to get top notch reviews. The DVI connector is a big plus for me too (once Sagem sort out the HDCP issue!) :)

My dillema is, do I go for the 1910 (~£200), 2910 (~£500) or 3910 (~£800)? They all get good reviews, but I suspect they are relative to their price level.

I'm not interested in DVD-Audio or SACD, my biggest concern is the picture quality.

I can't find a dealer that has all 3 Denons and a Sagem Axium to compare them on.

I'd gladly go for the 3910 if it's going to come anywhere close in quality to my D-VHS player, but if it's only a marginal improvement over the 1910 then I'd rather save the cash :)

Has anyone experience of these 3 players?

I was in exactly the same position as you just a couple of weeks ago until i visited Sevenoaks. The guy there told me the spec on both the 2910 & 3910, and explained that picture quality wise, the 2910 has all the same internal parts as the 3910, the only difference being that the 3910 will be slightly better for audio. I also managed to get Sevenoaks to do a price match and ended up getting the 2910 for 500! The 2910 sounds great to me, although i have got it linked up to a Denon 3802 Amp and KEF Eggs!

Thanks for the tips. I'm veering towards the 2910. Has anyone got experience of the 1910?

It will depend a lot on which connection method you are going to use. Analogue, the 2910 will be better than the 1910 as it has better video DACs. It's tougher in the digital domain, as no DAC involved.

Don't forget that Sagem have NOT committed themselves in any way to adding HDCP compliance to the Sagem 50. Hence DVI will not work with this set. If you've got the Sagem already and have the cash for a 2910 then go for it. I'm sure you'll get some real enjoyment out of the prog scan picture, and you have some future proofing there, just in case.

AV Junky said:
It will depend a lot on which connection method you are going to use. Analogue, the 2910 will be better than the 1910 as it has better video DACs. It's tougher in the digital domain, as no DAC involved.

Good point, I didn't think about that. Maybe I'll hold off for a few weeks and see if there is any movement on Sagem doing the HDCP upgrade.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom