Denon 1909 - What am I doing wrong..?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by NatD, Feb 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. NatD

NatD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Noob Alert!!!!!!

Hi guys - I am in need of assistance please. I set up my Denon 1909 last weekend, and after following the set up guidelines for the speakers, I am really struggling with the output of the Amp.

OK - I have a PS3 connected via HDMI. Sky HD is connected via HDMI and Optical.

At no point have I been able to get surround sound from any source! I have wired up some 7.1 Onkyo speakers. Through the Audyssey set up, all speakers responded, and the Amp automatically adjusted them.

But like I said, at no point have I had sound through 5 speakers (let alone 7!). I am just getting sound from the Front L&R and Centre. This is shown on the Amp display as well, it says Dig. and the FL and FR.

When I hit the Cinema button on the back of the remote, I get sound through all speakers, but it is very distorted, echoy, and just not right!

I am probably missing something dead simple, but after having a play about, and reading the manual, I really haven't got a clue what I am doing!

Any tips / hints would be greatly appreciated.........:lease:

Thanks in advance!

2. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    As a start, don't activate any 'Cinema' or similar effects. Just set the input mode to "Auto" and you should get exactly what is being transmitted.
    If this doesn't work then make sure your digital inputs for the Sky box etc are correctly 'assigned' in the setup menu. We'll help you if you get stuck.
    You are right to use the optical for Sky, as this is the only way you can get surround from this box. It may not always be transmitted in surround, though. A lot of stuff is in simple stereo.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  3. Filbert

Filbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    The "Dig. and FL and FR" you mention as being displayed on your amp is correct. This shows that the signal is coming in via digital (correct as the cable between your Sky box and amp is an optical cable = digital) and the incomming signal is in Stereo i.e. FL and FR. Your amp display should also show Dolby PL II, which means that your amp is converting a stereo signal in to surround.

When watching an HD channel which is also being broadcast in Dolby Digital (press the "i" button on the Sky HD remote to check if programme is in DD) the FL and FR ligths should change to all 5 channels, as the broadcast is in 5.1 and the display should show "Dolby Digital".

Why the rear speakers sound echoey though, I have no idea!

Do not set the input signal to auto as previously suggested for Sky, leave it as digital.

There are about a million posts on the forums regarding the setting for the PS3, check out the AVR-1909 owners thread, I'm sure someone posted a link to what the settings should be, but in short when playing a Blu-Ray the display on the front of the amp should read "Multi CH in".

Hope that helps...

It may also be worth re-doing the autio set up to cure the echoey rear speaker problem.

4. NatD

NatD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the reply. Had a play about with it last night, and the PS3 if working fine now!

Still only getting Sky through Stereo though - need to double check the Optical cables me thinks! However, the only sound connection between the amp and the Sky box is the Optical, so I don't know why I am even getting sound!!!!! :confused:

5. Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    OK mate - 1st things 1st.

I had the same problem with SKY when I set it up at first. I was confused because SKY also transmits audio over the HDMI albeit only in Stereo and the amp was picking up this rather than the optical feed.

The simple way to see if you are having the same problem is to simply unplug the optical cable and if you still get sound from SKY then the amp is picking up the HDMI audio feed and you need to allocate the appropriate input on the amp to use the optical in.

If there is no sound then the only other thing that I can think of is that the SKY box is outputting in stereo and not Dolby Digital.

Will be interrested to know how this turns out.

6. NatD

NatD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Ghostrider - that's exactly what the problem was! I unplugged the Optical Cable, and the sound was still there.

I re-assigned the audio, and straight away when I went on to channel broadcasting in Dolby, the speaker lights came on.

However (doh!) I am still not getting sound through all speakers at a decent audio level. The centre just isn't outputting, and again the sound is muffled.

At the moment, I am using the 7.1CH Stereo option, just to get the sound through all speakers that isn't distorted! Still learning lots, and most of you guys have really helped.

Will let you know if I can solve this little problem now.

Thanks.

7. NatD

NatD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well.......!

I thought I had sorted out the Blu Ray / PS3 problem, however I was wrong.

Just watching Bourne Identity on BR. The start of the movie, when he's in the water, sounded amazing - the sea, storms, thunder, etc. But, when the crew on the ship found him, and started talking, you couldn't hear them, nothing at all, just the subtitles!

I am guessing I need to set my speakers up again!

Any other tips on what it might be?

8. Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    I'd start off by re-running the Auto SetUp and and make sure that Sky Optical Output is set to Dolby D and not Normal.

If all of the speakers respond during autosetup make a note of the levels they are set to and post em up here. It could be that you have a fault in the amp or the speaker if just one of the channels is proving problematic.

You can of course just override the AutoSetup and boost the center channelin Manual setup.

Good luck.

9. NatD

NatD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Gonna re-run the set up tonight as suggested. What confused me even more (and I forgot to mention) was I listened to Foo fighters on Blu Ray, which I got through 5 speakers (and it did sound awesome) but then I had the distortion with Bourne.

I am also getting to lots of speaker symbols on the display - a set on the left and a set on the right!!!!

Again, will update you on how I get on.

10. Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    The set of speakers on the left show the format of the signal being recieved by the amp - the ones on the right show which speakers are being driven by the amp.

Often whilst watching TV I have 2 speakers showing on the left display (stereo input) and all 5 speakers lit on the right display as the amp is applying Pro-Logic II decoding and creating a surround effect.

It is hard to reason out why the sound on one disc is bad and another is good? Do you have a second film (rather than music disc) to try out on the system? I don't know how the Foo's disc was mastered and it may spread the dialogue around the FL/FR speakers more than a movie would do and hence may be masking a problem.

Just grabbing at straws.

11. NatD

NatD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well! I ran the speaker set up again, and think I have found the problem! It's not picking up the Centre speaker at all!

Is there a way of testing the centre without having to go through the auto set up again (i.e. get that pulse / ping noise)????

Need to check the wiring, but have a bad feeling it's goosed!!!!!!

12. Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Not wanting to teach you to suck eggs but personally the steps that I'd take are :

1 - check the speaker using a multimeter - disconnect the speaker (at the speaker end) and set the meter to ohms. If you measure across the speaker terminals then you should get a reading of 4-8 ohms depending on the speaker moninal impedance - if you get a reding in this sort of range then it looks good for the speaker. If the reading is short circuit (0 Ohms) or Open Circuit then the speaker is buggered.

2 - if the speaker tests out OK on the meter check the cable - disconnect at the amp end and check the that there is no short in the cable by measuring the impedance across the two wires making sure that the ends are not touching - you should get an open circuit reading. Next short out one end of the cable and measure the impedance - it should show short circuit - if it doesn't there is a break in the cable and you will need to replace it.

If the speaker is OK and the cable is OK then carefully connect it all together making sure that you don't introduce any shorts into the circuit - a single stray strand of wire arcing across the terminals will be enough to cause you problems.

Retry set-up - if it still doesn't work then it looks like the amp.

If you havent got a meter just swap the Centre speaker with the Front Left and re-run setup - if the system still doesn't detect the speaker (now FL) then the speaker is probably buggered (assuming that you have wired it up without shorting the cable out) - if it detects the FL but doesn't detect the Centre then you have an amp or wiring problem with the center channel.

13. NatD

NatD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi mate - thanks for the info (and the offer in the PM).

I am tied up all today, but am able to do the above as you suggest! Will come back to you and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

14. Filbert

Filbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    Go through Manual set up rather than auto. Go to channel level, and this will allow to to send the test signal to each speaker individually as you choose. May be worth wiring the centre speaker as your front left (or right) and see if the test tone works on that speaker, if it does, then you know the speaker is ok. Assuming the speaker is ok when wired as front left (or right) the next thing would be to check the speaker wire. If that solves the problem, then you know it's the wire. If that still doesn't solve the problem, it would point towards a problem with the centre channel amplifier in the amp.

Hope that helps.

15. NatD

NatD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well - problem (hopefully!) all solved!!!!!!

Some how (probably my bad!) the wiring had come out of the Centre Speaker. Went through the set up again, and even Sky is in Dolby now!!!!!

Thanks to all.