Denon 1909 Sky+ optical problem

ade8161pan

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, My 1909 is connected to my sky+ box using optical cable. When a Dolby Digital broadcast comes on the 1909 only outputs in stereo showing a stereo input. The sky box is set up for optical and DD but the 1909 wont pick it up. Any help would be great. Cheers Ade

Have you set the input on the amp correctly?

Here is my setup if it helps:

3-1 HDMI IN HDMI1
Digital In OPT1
Component In None
Ipod Dock None

3-2 Video Select Source
Convert On

3-3 Input Mode Digital
Decode Mode Auto

Mine if for a Sky HD box however, not sure how the Sky+ box differs.

Regards,

Hi Catmando, My settings were similar to yours so changed mine to be the same but no change. Thanks for reply. Cheers ade

What mode is coming up on the front panel display of the 1909 (Dolby Digital, Direct)?

Are you definitely on a channel that's broadcasting in Dolby 5.1?

For the stereo channels you can use Dolby PLII/PLIIx if you want all your speakers being used.

Tried it last night when film 4 had dolby digital movie on. The settings you said use i can only get IIx which seems to use 7 speakers but i have 5.

Film 4 only broadcast in stereo (checked last night). Only Sky Movies and the HD channels broadcast in Dolby 5.1.

On my Denon PLIIx is only selectable if you have a 6.1/7.1 setup. It may just be that later models class Dolby PLII/PLIIx as one decoding mode. Either way, I personally prefer Dolby PLIIx to Stereo for Sky/Satellite TV.

Just checked film 4 listings for today the film on at 7.15 tonight is dolby digital and 2 films this afternoon are dolby surround.

I'll check that out tonight. Must be a relatively new thing as it's always come up as a stereo signal on my Amp.

Hi Jase, I have been going by the guide so you could well be right. I dont have sky hd or sky movies so its been hard to find programs to check it out.

If you have only a Sky+ box and don't have Sky Movies, then there is no 5.1 available to you I'm afraid. FilmFour is always getting it wrong. I think the guy who does the EPG data for them must just look up IMDB and sees it was recorded in Dolby Digital :D, but its not related to what is actually broadcast.

Hi DWhite, many thanks for that. I will just have to use my blu-ray player a bit more!! Thanks also to Jase for your trying to get an answer. Cheers ade

Remember that most stereo transmissions have old school Dolby Pro Logic. This has to be set manually though but on most multichannel films your rears should spring into life. However for dolby digital you need Sky+ or V+.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom