Denon 1909 or newer amp?

Hubcap

Standard Member
Reaction score
I like the look of the Denon 1909 amp and it seems to have had good reviews in the past, I can pick one up for about £330, is that a good price for the amp or is there anything else that's better for similar money, may be able to stretch to £400 max?? I know the 1910 is due out but that's a bit nearer to £500 and surely it can't be £170 better than the 1909 can it?

Would mainly be used for blu-ray movies via PS3, games on the PS3, Sky (non HD) and occasional music.

If I was to go for the 1909 what speakers would people recommend to match, my room size is about 15 x 13 feet.

Would appreciate any views or advice. :)

£330 is a bargain price in comparison the other receivers you can buy for the same amount right now. You're lucky to even find an AVR 1909 in stock, let alone one for such a low price. In my opinion, the AVR 1909 was the best AV amp within its price range (£450 - £550) and still is until all the new models are available. You're not going to get anything better for £330.

What is your budget for speakers?

Last edited:
Thanks Dante, I thought it looks like a good deal, reckon will go for it then.

Speaker wise, probably looking to spend up to about £400, what would you recommend?

for that sort of money you might be able to get the Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1 with a discount that has the potensial to be a very good setup

for that sort of money you might be able to get the Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1 with a discount that has the potensial to be a very good setup

Agreed. The Q Acoustics package is probably the best you'll get for around £400 - 450. There are a few deals on the QA package that also include speaker wire and sub cable.

You'll also need to buy stands and/or brackets for the speakers so you need to allow another £100 or more for them.

Thanks guys, I'll look into those.

Any views on the Wharfedale Diamond 9 HCP 5.1 speakers, seen them advertised for £380.

Thanks guys, I'll look into those.

Any views on the Wharfedale Diamond 9 HCP 5.1 speakers, seen them advertised for £380.

If you don't mind the walnut finish, you can get the Wharfdale Diamond HCP for £350

WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9 HCP HOME CINEMA SPEAKER SYSTEM (LIMITED EDITION, WALNUT FINISH) - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/4281 for details

It is good value for money, but I think the Q Acoustics speakers will perform slightly better with the Denon.

Lol, might look nice in the kitchen but not sure about the living room!

The other ones I've seen are the MORDAUNT SHORT ALUMNI SYSTEM 5.1, do you know if they sound as good as they look?

Lol, might look nice in the kitchen but not sure about the living room!

The other ones I've seen are the MORDAUNT SHORT ALUMNI SYSTEM 5.1, do you know if they sound as good as they look?

They are bright sounding, but may suit the Denon?

hi
I had a demo of the 1909 and the Alumni last week. I was really impressed. i would have bought them only I have managed to convince the wife I need a bigger room for my cinema(currently getting an extension) so i am going for the monitor audio Br 5 package with 7.1. I have seeen the Alumni on ebay for £399 which is another £100 cheaper than the shops.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom