Denon 1907 and Tanoy FX 5.1 setup help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Ojustabo, Jan 18, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Ojustabo

Ojustabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi all.

Am having a few problems getting my sound right on my setup and would appreciate some advice please.

Have set it up how I think is correct.

Subwoofer has the following on the back.

Low Level input L & R
    High Level input L & R
    Volume
    Phase 0 / 180 degrees

The back of the Denon is

[​IMG]

I have the sub set to around a third volume,
    Phase 0 degrees
    A cable going from the Pre Out Subwoofer on the back of the Denon to the Low Lever Right input on the Sub.

Is that correct please?

I know everyone's going to have a different taste with regards to personal settings for the amp, but wondered if anyone had a few pointers please.

Using optical input from Sky HD.
    Hi DEf stuff in "Dolby Digital" sounds fine.

But when I watch SD stuff, I currently have it set to "Dolby PLII Cinema"

I like the surround type effect this setting gives, but have a big problem with volume levels, especially late at night. I have to keep adjusting the volume while watching a program as the talking is too quiet, and the music (bass) much too loud.

Any advice much appreciated (Did the initial auto setup with the supplied mike)

Many thanks

Phil

(hope this is the right forum, wasn't sure if here, speakers, sub or Denon was best)

2. rwniel

rwniel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    Phil, your physical connection/cabling between amp and sub sounds connect - phase is normally a case of making sure they're in sync with your main speakers; it should yield the best bass as usually an out of phase setup will have the bass almost cancelled out where the crossover overlaps with the main speakers. Volume is normally a matter of experimenting - I usually start with a half way position as naturally it has to be set high enough for the automatic mic calibration to be able to do its thing.

Regarding late at night, you could try experimenting with the different surround modes (e.g. virtual) including the specific night mode (for dolby digital sources). Also, specifically adjusting the centre channel level compared to the other surround channels.

Robert

3. Downinja

Downinja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +583
    Your amp should have a night mode for night time viewing, it should make loud sound and quiet sounds closer together so you don't have to keep adjusting.

My 1507 has it so your 1907 definitely should, not sure how well it works mind not used it often.

4. Ojustabo

Ojustabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks, will have a play :D