Denon 1906 - what is the best digital cable.

R

roymoore

I have just bought a Denon 1906 AVR and I have to connect a Panasonic DVD recorder, but it is 4 metres away, what is the best connection, digital or optical. I have just upgraded from Denon AVR 1000 (10 years old but in very good condition) anyone know what I can do with it.

I got mine on Friday. Connected using an optical cable from my Panasonic DVD recorder. Awesome sound ! :clap: :clap: :clap:

i cant really tell the difference between optical and cable. so my advice would be go for the cheaper option, as for your amp you could always try and sell it in the classifieds here

an optical is going to be cheaper and have no chance of inteference over the length....

up to 2m i'd rather use coaxial myself, having compared two cables of a similar price it seemed somehow the optical came thru too bright and clinical....given my speakers are fairly bright by nature the coaxial seemed to help this.....

but over 2m and with coaxial you have to be a little careful not to let things like mains cables etc intefere....so optical is a safer route, i got a Tech+Link one for £20 from Harrow Audio for my X-box 360 (5m) and it works just fine :) of course you can get even cheaper than that, but tbh i think i'd rather pay a little bit more than rock bottom just so i know its been made well and isnt likely to fall apart...lol...but no need to pay stupid prices like £50 for optical....its unlikely to change anything, just looks prettier...heh

Hi I prefer a cable over the optical it just sounds better to me.I have just been surfing the net and I found a site you may like to look at.They are selling a one metre length Belden 1694a with canare end plugs for £ 17.
It looks ok to me,have a look for your self the site is adscables.co.uk
any way enjoy your new system and try the Underworld DVD I find its a great surround film and boy will it thrash all of your speakers(just kidding) Try it,It sounds great.

Greg Lisowski said:
Hi I prefer a cable over the optical it just sounds better to me.I have just been surfing the net and I found a site you may like to look at.They are selling a one metre length Belden 1694a with canare end plugs for £ 17.
It looks ok to me,have a look for your self the site is adscables.co.uk
any way enjoy your new system and try the Underworld DVD I find its a great surround film and boy will it thrash all of your speakers(just kidding) Try it,It sounds great.

shame he wants a 4m+ cable.....lol

i got a nice QED cable for around £35-40 (5m 75ohm shielded coax).....but i use it for my subwoofer, found the extra length seem to take something away, prefer to use my £20 (altho i got it free) Cambridge Audio 1.5m coax for my DVD player....

as i say, on a longer length i'd say go with optical providing its properly covered, make sure its not too thin or there might be leakage..

£20 is all you need to pay tho for 5m of optical....any more is a waste......coax works differently and spending a bit more on length can be useful...

i also bought 1906,how all did you connected it with

lcd projector
panny dvd recorder
vcr
sky plus

thanks sanj60

Thankyou to everyone for their help, I take delivery of said item on Thursday, will probably scream for help on Friday.
Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom