Denon 1906 - Best price in the UK?

Steve T

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay, I've finally decided on the Denon AVR-1906 and am now trying to source it for the best price in the UK.

I've seen it for £279.00 (inc delivery) from Creative Audio but was interested to see whether anyone else had bought it cheaper elsewhere. It was on Unbeatable for £244.00 but their website is down and they're in trouble if what I read is correct.

Any ideas?

When I was looking for a 1906 that was the best price that I could find too. (279 - creative audio). 2 year warranty as well remember.

Unbeatable are out of business, i.e. beaten.

Cheers PDP-434HDE. Looks like I'll be putting an order their way then.

I've got clients in the area of Creative Audio, so could collect saving the £10 delivery charge if this causes a problem.

I'll try to order online first and let you know.

cheers
Steve

Steve T said:
I've seen it for £279.00 (inc delivery) from Creative Audio but was interested to see whether anyone else had bought it cheaper elsewhere. It was on Unbeatable for £244.00 but their website is down and they're in trouble if what I read is correct.

Any ideas?

Personally, I'd think long and hard about buying mail order from Creative Audio. Had a dreadful experience last year. Basically they reckoned they tried to deliver my goods on several occassions but, despite being in all day, they did not show. Ok, I understand that things can go wrong but it's not unreasonable for the retailer to put them right and to demonstrate a bit of customer service. They essentially implied I was a bare face lier when I politely chased them. I certainly wont buy from them again.

Oh. Sorry to hear about your problem. Anyone had any good dealings with Creative Audio? Could this have been a one off?

On the phone to creative audio they weren't the friendliest either. I was enquiring about on of their packages and although they were out of stock on the equipment I was enquiring about they basically baulked at my choice. I'm sure they are very knowledgable but found the guy to be a bit of an audio snob. Just my experience though.....

I called creative-audio when I was thinking of getting the 1906, seemed fine and they have it in stock and delivery is 10 quid as stated (free on the 2106 BTW). And a two year warranty don't forget.

Why would they advertise 10 quid delivery if they weren't prepared to send it mail order?

BTW, I plumped for a Pioneer 1014 from a local dealer who demo'd it to me and got the business from me straight after the demo (reduced to 300 because its now superceded by 1015). Not trying to diss the 1906 or anything, because I haven't listened to one (they are a Denon dealer too but didn't yet have any 1906/2106 in stock). Got to give a heads up that I could have gotten a Pio 1015 for 363 via the net too, and if its as good as the 1014 should be shortlisted too.

PDP-434HDE said:
Why would they advertise 10 quid delivery if they weren't prepared to send it mail order?

My problem was not that they did not want to deliver my goods, more the delivery company they used and then not being willing to sort the delivery company out. To add to the problems, they effectively accussed me of lieing when I politley informed them of the delivery problems! Went something like:

CA: your goods are due to be delivered on Monday.
Me: stay in all day Monday, goods do not arrive. Phone and email CA

CA: your goods are due to be delivered on Tuesday.
Me: stay in all day Tuesday, goods do not arrive. Phone and email CA

etc, etc, the above continued for about 5 days. I then make a firmer but still polite complaint. Am told that on each occassion that delivery was attemepted but they could not deliver becuase I was not in! I tell them that I was in. CA respond by basically saying I am lieing! I call the delivery company to be told that they have not attempted to deliver yet. End result, I cancel my order after much wasted time.

Steve T said:
Oh. Sorry to hear about your problem. Anyone had any good dealings with Creative Audio? Could this have been a one off?

Rather than going mail order, how about trying to get a local dealer to do a price match? Have you got an Audio T near you? I think they have a price match policy (and offer a free extended warrantry - I got a 3 year warranty on a Denon amp I purchased from them a couple of years ago).

Sounds good MarkF. There's one in Cheltenham which isnt too far away. I might have to check them out.

I ended up ordering the AVR-1906 from Superfi (there's one local to me in Birmingham) for £289.00. I thought it worth the extra £10 or so to deal with someone local and they have been pretty good in the past.

Thanks for all your help, can't wait to get hold of it!

Bought one in PRC in Ilford for £265. Just waiting for my speakers now so I listen to what it sounds like. Are you impressed with it Steve?

Good price Guvvie! I've not had it yet, should have it early next week. I'll let you know what I think when I've set it up.

Cheers
Steve

I got mine from creative audio this week. I phoned them, they checked stock and sent it out nextday delivery. Had no problems at all.....

Can anyone that has got this amp please tell me if the on screen display works if connected to the TV through component, please. If not I suppose I will have to buy a svideo lead and use that for setting up.
Thanks.

guvvie said:
Can anyone that has got this amp please tell me if the on screen display works if connected to the TV through component, please. If not I suppose I will have to buy a svideo lead and use that for setting up.
Thanks.

I presume its the same as my 2106, the menu does not work through component so i had to hook up an svideo lead.

Got mine at the weekend on a price match at Richer Sounds for £259. Very impressed with the sound (and that's on my crappy sherwood speakers). Looking forward to my Canton CD101s arriving soon to compliment the amp. :thumbsup:

Hi Guys. May be worth ringing PRC Hi Fi & Video, Essex 020 8514 7449. In the latest 'What Hi Fi Awards magazine' they are advertising it at £249.95 (although the picture is a black version).

Alternatively check out hughesdirect.co.uk (via pricerunner) who have it in stock at £269.98 delivered.

I ordered from Empire Direct about a week ago, for £249.49 including VAT and postage. That's a great price as long as you don't mind waiting... they're currently out of stock. Here's the item on their site.

i ordered one from http://www.leconcepts.com/ today, it should be arriving tomorrow :) i ordered a 1920 dvd player too, as part of a package deal so i get some free cables, free delivery and £20 off the bundle :) nice!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom