1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 1905 vs 2805 - High bandwidth component switching

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Nicky, Nov 25, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Nicky

Nicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

I'm currently planning on buying a 1905. This seems a fairly solid amp. However one thing I may well want to do in future is use it as a switch for HD video over component.

The 2805 data sheet talks about having extra bandwidth for the componet channel. Does any one know if this is essential for switching HD signals, or just a nice to have. Anyone out there using a 1905 to switch HD component? I don't really need all the other bells and whistles of the 2805 so the £300 prcice dif is a big deal, but if the 1905 can't switch HD video I may need to reconsider.

Cheers,

Nick

2. vinny41

vinny41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    1905 max video bandwidth for component video switching is 30mhz
    2805 max video bandwidth for component video switching is 100mhz
    so I guess the answer is yes it will work for the low end of HD but if you are thinking or running straight off at the middle or higher end you will have a problem with the 1905

Vinny41

3. Nicky

Nicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cheers vinny. The 1905 should do for now I think. I don't fancy £300 of future proofing on a £200 amp. There's always ebay for when i change my mind.

Nick

4. Nicky

Nicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just to wrap this one up should anyone ever search on it. Went with the Yahaha RXV450 in the end. Fairly similar to the Denon in spec and price, but 60hmz of component bandwidth. 720p and 1080i seem ro require up to about 40mhz, so hopefully this will be plenty.

Nick

5. mickbarlow

mickbarlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    excuse me if this is a dumb question, does the 1705 and 1905 actually support component switching then??

6. Nicky

Nicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Tricky, not having bought one I don't know for sure. The 1905 has two sets of component in and one out so it ought to be able to. I think the 1705 does too but haven't checked.

From the top of my head (I looked it up after vinny's post) interlaced pal component (576i) needs something like 5Mhz and progressive (576p) needs 10Mhz. I think the 1905 would be fine for these. However the high def standards need more bandwidth. Both the 2805 and rvx450 explicitly note they're designed for high def.

Nick