Denon 1905 Or 795 Sony, Or Any Other Suggestions.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Garrett, Sep 20, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,640
    I’m looking to buy surround amp but do not need the amplification for the front 2 speakers which I will use my Audiolab amp. So the stand alone music side I’m not bothered about. I would have gone for the Sony which I heard had a DAB tuner but this was proved to be a false report so does open the choice up more. I do want the amp to have Pro Logic IIx and preferably 7 channels output.
    So which of the 2 would you say was the better or is there any other I should be looking at?

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
  3. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got my RXV650 yesterday & it's great machine.i very much recommend it.

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,640
    It is and it isn’t. I use the radio once a week whist I’m out of the house (record a program) and do not leave the amp on. Also when I’m in just using the radio to listen to I would be having two amps on.
    On the other hand my tuner is over 20years old although very good wouldn’t mind listening to a new one to see if they have improved over the last few years although I did try my father’s tuner and it picked up stations worse than the old one, and would like RDS.

The slot I have the present surround amp in is in the thinnest of all the slots of my stack. If there was a tuner in the processor I could take the old tuner out of the loop along with the tape deck which I could swap slots with the new pro.

I’m really looking for a surround amp around £300 or less on discount. Not unless one above is a lot better for the money.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,640
    Oh and it must do all the others beside Pro IIx apart from THX which I know are dear and nt needs to have a black version to match the rest of the system.

6. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    From the stats and the performance of my 1400 I would recommend stretching to the rxv650.. If your interested in auto setup you will have to stretch to the ax750:eek: Is it possible to get some demo's Garret? The only real way is to listen and demo.
    Sony 795
    Denon 1905
    Pioneer 814
    Yamaha rx-v650

I think they all come in black and all have RDS enable radios. I cant vouch for the radio in my 1400 asd i never use it.

7. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,640
    I'm going to the show up in Manchester next month so will try and get some demos from a shortlist.

8. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the RXV650 have black version,it have all new formats including DPLIIx & it has AUTO SETUP (it's the same amp like the 750 but without the video up converstion & the learning remote unit)

9. Lostinapc

Lostinapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the denon 1705 (£185 from unbeatable) hooked up to my new aegis evos 3, don't understand why people pay more for an amp unless it is considerably more.
    mine goes loud enough, i don't want 6.1 let alone 7.1 and the sound, including stereo is better than anything i've heard before, mainly because of the quality speakers i'm sure.

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,640
    Could you tell me what a video up converstion does? :blush:

11. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it kinda upgrade ur video signal,
    like if u have a DVD player with only S-Video & ur TV support Component input which is better than the S-Video so u will connect the S-Video output on ur DVD player to the S-Video input on ur Reciver/Amplifier & the Reciver/amp will convert up the signal & make it possible to connect the Component output on AV reciver to the component input on the TV which should give a better quailty picture.

12. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Basically it will do this:

Composite in -> s-vhs or componant out

S-vhs in -> componant out

It will allow you to connect any item with composite or s-vhos out to your reciever and the amp will convert the signel to either svhs out or componant out so you can link it all up to a single comonant in on your tv/plasma/projector. Obviously it will also send the same signel out as wll so if you imput componant it will send it out as componant.
    Hope this make sense:D

13. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,640
    Thanks guys for the explanation.

14. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,640
    Does anyone know if the Denon 1905 or the Sony 795 has connectivity for SACD or DVD-Audio? I though the Denon did but on looking in the brochure it says the 2105 Wide range capacity for SACD or DVD-Audio, but omits the info for the 1905.

15. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
  16. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,640
    Thanks.

Is there any difference in inputs from SACD and DVD-Audio or should I say switching inside the amp like for analogue input from a CD and a tape deck or are they similar like a tuner and tape deck? ?
    I took a picture of the Denon site last night and blew it up but it is not very clear what things are sound the back but there was a section with a trio of red and white sockets do I take it as read that these are for that propose?

One of the best sites for looking at equipment if they have it in is AVland.

17. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I jusr read avlands decription and it states it has a 5.1 input. www.superfi.co.uk are also very good for finding info and getting pictures of amps from:D

As far as I know there are no difference in inputs for dvd-a and sacd. I dont have a sacd player so cant tell you for sure.

18. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,640
    :blush: I re-looked at those specifications in the brochure, and Wide range capacity for SACD or DVD-Audio, was not on the 1905 but I now see that I missed in an other column that it states 6 Channel Input for DVD-Audio or Super Audio CD.

Re the SACD and DVD-Audio I was just wondering if you had to switch anything over on the processor if you were playing oone rather than the other although coming through the same inputs. A bit like on one of my amps when playing a record I choose Phone but I have a button to choose either moving magnet or moving coil. Or is it just the same signal which is pre processed by the player?

19. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    NO you dont have to switch anything over as all the processing is done by the player (i think) . Going by my Yammy all I do is switch over to multi-channle input and hey presto DVD-A blasting out :smashin: