Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Denon 1803 optical out

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Darren Blake, Oct 19, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I bought a sound card for my PC last week that has digital optical input. Today I tried to hook it up to the digital optical output on my Denon 1803 and to cut a long story short it doesn't work. :(

Its not the sound card because if I hook up my optical sources (DVD or CD) to the sound card input directly, then it works a treat.

The only thing I did notice was that, looking at the end of the cable when it is conected directly to a source, then the red light dot at the end is very bright. If I look at the brightness of the light at the end of the same cable when it is connected to the output of the Denon 1803, it is about half as bright.

Ideas anyone?

2. damtom1

damtom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may have to make sure your chosed optical input on your 1803,has been assigned to your soundcard.Using the OSD,you can choose which inputs are used for each piece of kit....optical or coax.

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Plus it's worth noting that the Denon will only pass-through Optical signals to the optical output, and won't monitor Digital Coaxial or Analogue signals :)

4. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for the replies guys. Not sure if I'm any further forward...

Just to clarify, I have two optical inputs to the 1803 (from DVD and CD) these should be routed through to the optical out.

I did wonder whether there was an option in the setup menu on the Denon to select which route an input through to the output, or simply to turn the optical output on, but I cannot find it.

5. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It should output the selected input source, it won't output a different input source to the one you're using. If it's not doing that then something's quite wrong.

6. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yeah. Sorted it now. It was one of those times when you swear you've tried everything at least twice, but the answer is staring you in the face.

I had it in my head that the optical input was being fed through to the output regardless of which signal I had selected. What was throwing me was my PC is also connected to my Denon as VCR2, and it outputs its own sounds through my surround speakers. I had set SPDIF in to loop through to line out on the soundcard so I could monitor what the card was hearing, but in order to feed this to my speakers I had to set the Denon source to VCR2. Of course, when I did this it also muted the CD or DVD optical input.

I finally sorted out what was happening by using a level meter app instead of monitoring through the speakers.

Cheers for the feedback!