1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 1803 - multiple video out?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Darren Blake, Jul 17, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    All this will become a lot easier when I get my hands on my 1803 this weekend, but I need to be thinking about stuff before that having been without a TV for two weeks now :eek:

Browsers of other threads will note that I am having some potential connectivity with my screen, AVR and video sources. I have been away from home for a few days but last night I got the chance to have a play and it answered a few questions but posed a few more.

I now know that I have a variety of potential video formats going into my AVR. For each format going in there has to be the same format going out as the 1803 can only switch composite to composite, s to s, component to component, etc.

My screen (Hitachi 42PMA400E) for reasons best known to itself, has both composite and s connections in on the video-1 feed but only one or the other can be used. Amazingly when using the composite feed, the mere presence of a plug in the s socket causes a blank screen. I was shown this at Nex too when I demo'ed the screen, but I didn't really believe what I was seeing until I tried it myself.

Bear in mind that I do not want to buy any more converters / transcoders / scalers etc. I have run out of cash for my HC project (for now). I could just fall back on the "lowest common denominator" connection and link everthing using composite, but last night I thought of another (much better) idea but it will be dependant up on a feature of the 1803.

My screen can take an RGB feed through its video-2 input, but it also needs to be fed a sync signal via a composite feed in video-1. This will tie up both inputs. My DVD player and Sky box can both output RGB. My AVR can switch 2x sets of RGB inputs. However I am not sure whether it could simultaneously supply a composite signal to the screen on one of its other video outputs. I know I can feed it both signals at the same time, but can the 1803 have two different video outputs "on" simultaneously?

If so, I could feed composite from each source into the AVR, and a composite lead out to video-1 on the screen, plus an RGB feed from Sky and DVD to the AVR and a set of RGB leads to video-2. For watching Sky abd DVD I would have both the associated RGB and composite inputs switched through to the screen, but for watching my VCR only the composite feed would be switched.

Can anyone with an 1803 tell me if this will work?

2. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

Since few amps have rgbs inputs, the "rgb" inputs on your amp are probably component video inputs.

Is the input on your display component as well ?...... if it is, you can use a rgb to component adapter to feed your sat box into the tv.

If you have a dvd player connected to your amp by ALL of it's video (component, s-video and composite) connections, then ALL of those inputs will be active when you select dvd. At the same time ALL of the same outputs on the amp will be active and you'll have component, s-video and composite on the monitor outputs.

brian.

3. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi again Brian :)

Yes, the inputs on the 1803 are in fact component inputs, but I think they are colour coded red green and blue as well. Plus since they only pass through the signal (AFAIK) it makes me think they could double up as RGB inputs.

They are labelled (according to the Denon blurb) as VIDEO1 and VIDEO2. Unfortunately this labelling does not match up with the S and composite inputs, which are DVD/VDP, TV/DBS, VCR1, VCR2, and V.AUX

Component output is MONITOR
    S and composite output is VCR1, VCR2 and MONITOR.

So I am not sure if any of the component or s inputs are "ganged" with either of the component inputs.

I have no cash to spend on an RGB to component adapter at the moment, so I am trying to get the best signal that I have routed through to the screen. :)

4. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Well I've been searching and turned up THIS which seems to be talking about the very same thing on a Denon 3802 (you have to read to the very end to get the success story).

Although the 3802 is a much more capable AVR than the 1803, its nearest current equivalent, the 3803, has similarly labelled component and composite inputs (albeit more of the composites).

I'm crossing my fingers for the weekend... Hopefully this could turn a compromise situation into a better connection than I had originally planned for :)

5. Dr Hu

Dr Hu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Darren - can you keep this post updated with your success/failure on this topic - I need to do the exactly the same due to my Tosh 330 DVD outputting black & white only on S Video - even plugged into the SVideo socket AV In on my TV!

The topic link talks about it working on the 3802 - I hope it works on the 1803........

6. Dr Hu

Dr Hu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Darren - can you keep this post updated with your success/failure on this topic - I need to do the exactly the same due to my Tosh 330 DVD outputting black & white only on S Video - even plugged into the SVideo socket AV In on my TV!

The topic link talks about it working on the 3802 - I hope it works on the 1803........

7. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Ahhhhhh. Answers, answers, answers!

YES. It does work on an 1803. I wired it all up today after taking a massive leap of faith and buying nigh on £100 worth of cable and connectors just to make the RGB-s interconnects.

...and shame on the other 1803 owners for not jumping in with the answer. It is on page 13 in the manual, after all! :D :D :D

A small idiosyncracy of my screen (Hitachi 42PMA400 is that you cannot have it configuired for composite and RGB-s signals at the same time, so on the odd occaision that I watch a video I will have to go into the screen's menu and set video1 to composite, then remember to switch it back to RGB-s when I am done.

All in all, pretty happy. :D

8. Dr Hu

Dr Hu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks Darren for the speedy response:D

I'm glad it worked - I presumed you bought the £38odd each cables - Scart to 4 phono from Lektropacks?

Did you need the extra RGB status lead as mentioned in the topic link?

I have found some cheaper (but read less quality) Scart to 6 phono on the maplin website @ £13.99 each. I am hoping that it is possible just to re-arrange the pin configuration in the scart plug - as in most scart plugs the pins click into place with a tang, I am hoping these leads have this fittings and they are easy to rearrange! Otherwise out comes the soldering iron again!

I'm too much of a skinflint to shell out £100 on yet more cables after spending a fortune on S Video interlinks only for them to give me grief.....:rolleyes:

To be fair on other 1803 owners the page 13 only talks about assigning what video signal is connected to the Component sockets - not how to use them to switch RGB....:D

9. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yeah, I was just taking the mike about the manual, but I was glad to read it.

Being a semi-skinflint who is a dab hand with a soldering iron I actually made all my own interconnects. For the RGB-s leads I used 6x 75ohm signal cable by Ixos from Sevenoaks Sound & Vision, gold plated phono plugs from Maplins and some gash SCART plus which I will replace with better ones later (plus heaps of heat shrink tube to neaten things up and stop the pins in the SCART getting too friendly).

I didn't need the RGB status lead. I think this is a SCART to SCART thing. My screen has to be specifically told when it should look for an RGB-s signal, so I guess it has no need for a status line.

If you have a load of s-video stuff and are not too fussed about PQ maybe you could buy one of the £5 Maplins composite to s-video converters that I was talking about in the "General hardware" forum? These are what I was going to use until I found out I could do RGB-s.

*EDIT* The shopping list for the RGB-s interconnects was:

16x £1 gold plated phono plugs
    7 meters of Ixos singal cable @ £9 per meter
    2x £2 gashSCART plugs
    plus solder and heatshrink and bits and bobs.

Regards,