1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 1803 and a newbie

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Bursar, Jul 30, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I'm looking into getting some seperates, but I don't have a huge budget (what else is new eh?).

I've looked around and the Denon 1803 seems to fit the bill. Plenty of features, and a reasonable price tag.

It's going to be hooked up to my TV and it's 5 speakers (no sub) for watching TV, VHS and DVD.

Eventually I'll get a decent set of speakers, but as I'm sure you know, these things can soon get out of control, so it's one step at a time at the moment.

Is the 1803 giong to be around for a while? I noticed that one supplier had listed it as a clearance item.

Also, where can I learn more about these things? I've been browsing through a number of posts in this forum, and just end up being confused with all the options.

Is there a good web based reference for all this stuff? I'll probably buy a few mags, but I don't want to have to buy a stack of back issues jst to get myself up to speed with what I need to know.

Are there any comparative reviews of the 1803 and other receivers in the same price range that I can look at online? The reviews listed in the dropdown boxes of this forum seem to basically be:

"We tested the xxx receiver with some speakers, and it sounded OK."

There's no real detail to them.

Ta muchly :)

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The 1803 is still a current model here but will be replaced at some point in the near future by the 1804 which has just appeared in the USA. Some details here:

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/products.asp?l=1&c=2

For some owner reviews of the 1803, have a look here :

http://www.audioreview.com/A-V,Receivers/Denon,AVR-1803/PRD_140065_2718crx.aspx

They will give you some idea of what it's like. Another option is to search through posts on this Forum specifically for the 1803 to get some info from owners.

3. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I've just found out I have a Seven Oaks near where I work, so I'm going to pop in for a demo tomorrow lunch time.

4. adc2000974

adc2000974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm an owner of the 1803, i have it paired with the dvd-700 which came out recently i think.
    The only downfalls i can think of are; no preouts other then the sub, since i use a power amp also i kick myself because i have to use a splitter instead. (doesnt matter, though if you dont plain to use a poweramp.)
    I suppose i would want higher dacs 192khz/24bit which increases the dynamic range and the snr ratio, but i am not too botherd,
    thats about it.
    In terms of sound u get, its a little crisp, in terms of features its plentiful.

By all means get back to me if you want further discussion.

5. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Part of the problem I have is that I'm new at this stuff. What would I need pre-outs for, and should I maybe look at increasing my budget to get a bit of kit that has them?

If there's a fairly indepth newbies guide to all of this, I'd be more than happy for someone to point me at it :)

6. adc2000974

adc2000974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is indeed, simply use a search engine like 'google' and type in ''beginners guide to Home Cinema'' or something simalar.

Pre-Outs are used for Power Amps.
    In the av world there are several different types of Amps togo for.
    Intergrated Amps - deosnt have video connections i.e. s-video
    Power Amps - designed for one thing only the input channels.
    Av Surround Receivers - most common, the 1803 is that. uses video connections. and a host of surround formats. also 5/6 channel stereo .

On another note; get a sub, my god man your missing out.

Regards, Adam C

7. adc2000974

adc2000974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'll think, i'll start a new thread on that subject

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Please don't put anything into Google as the AV Forums exist to answer questions for people from newbies up to experts. There is a section in the top with drop down menus that will take you to the FAQ qhich you may find helpful.

I don't know where you have got your definitions of the various types of amp from but I am afraid that they are incorrect.

Simply put, an integrated amplifier consists of a processor which handles all the decoding plus a power amp that amplifies the signals. Invariably an integrated AV amp will have video switching capabilities for s-video signals as well as composite and sometimes component inputs.

A Power Amp does exactly what it says and amplifies the signals that are fed to it. A seperate power amp has to be used in conjunction with a pre-amp that handles the decoding aspects.

An AV Receiver is simply an AV amplifier with an additional radio tuner within it.

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There is a review of the Denon 1803 here

10. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    After the demo (Denon 1803 and a selection of Kef floorstanders and centre - no sub), I'm quite impressed.

Just having 1803 and some decent speakers proved a massive boost to sound compared to what I get with my Panasonic TV. I can imagine that a sub will only enhance the audio even more.

Unfortunately the wife won't let me rearrange the lounge into something a little more cinema friendly (I'll need to put a sofa in front of a door, and she's not keen :()

I'm now planning on changine the spare room around (it's currently got all my PCs in it) and setting the system up in there.

I'm going to go back to Seven Oaks (they're really friendly - told me take as long as I needed to demo the kit. If I felt I needed 4 hours to decide, then I could take 4 hours!) and see if they can setup another demo with a different selection of speakers and subs.

If I ask nicely, they might even show me the Z1 and AE200 as well.

11. Help

Help

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if the Denon 1803 comes in silver? And if so where I could get it from?

I know that it comes in champagne/gold, and black.

12. overfloe

overfloe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Help (?)
    im afraid 1803 only comes in gold and black.

13. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's in Silver in the US. And somebody mentioned the AVR1804 in the US, which is actually their equivalent to our 1803 - not its replacement (if that makes sense).

Home Cinema Choice & What Video TV reviewed the US model for the UK magazine (which is infinitely irritating as they tell us it has pre-outs and zone-2 amplification).

14. Help

Help

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers, looks like it'll have to be a gold one then.

15. Weiman

Weiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 1804 IS the replacement for the 1803 and should be released in Europe by the end of this month or so. The main differences from the 1803 are:
    - Somewhat higher power, 80W vs 90W
    - OSD
    - Video conversion

The US model differs from the European in the way Dimmy mentioned, but I think the same applied to 1803 too..