Denon 1802

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by TobyJ, Dec 3, 2001.

Tags:
  1. TobyJ

TobyJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have the new Denon 1802 amp, and if so can you give me your thoughts ie is it any good?

How would it compare with Marantz SR4200? I know it is more expensive (the 1602 would be more 'like for like'), so would it be worth extra bucks?

Thanks for your help guys.

2. ij

ij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have one, but I did spot that the current What Hi-Fi Magazine has a 1 page review of the 1802.

From what I can remember (I don't have the mag in front of me) it was a fairly glowing review, and positive being compared against their current favourite (at that price) the Yamaha ax620.

So grab a copy (or read it in the newsagent's!).

Cheers,

3. iabbott

iabbott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought an 1802 the other week. Compared it to the Yamaha 620 and it sounded just as good. PL2 is great and adds much more atmosphere and control over pl. (it does have an "old" PL mode as well).
    I'm running it with Kef Q35, 65 and 95 speakers and the pioneer 444 dvd. The smooth controlled sound is great and allows you to really hear each note without being boomy.
    Downsides, the remote is a bit naff, and I've got a noisy transformer (but getting the unit replaced any day now).
    For the money, a star buy!

4. WSC

WSC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First hint - go and listen to them and decide for yourself!

I went and listened to the Yamaha 620, Marantz 6200 and the Denon 1802. They were connected to the Kef 2005 speakers and the Marantz 4100 DVD player. The 620 had a full-bodied sound (Sounds like wine tasting this) but was not so good in surround sound with older materials (e.g. AAD recorded CD's or stereo DVD's) as it gave more background noise. The Marantz caused a lot of grief to setup and use by the staff (might be they hadn't used it before). You had to move the volume control more than the Yamaha to go loud and it sounded slightly distorted. The Denon was the last to try. It again sounded more laid back than the Yamaha. Good musically and the least background noise of the others. In matrix mode it brought out CD's and stereo sounds V. well.

Interestingly, I didn't much like the Kef's. I thought that floorstanders sounded better musically - just an opinion!