1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 1802 'problems'

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by andyboy, Jul 31, 2003.

Tags:
  1. andyboy

andyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am having some problems with my HC setup and was hoping someone on the forums would be able to help with this :

I have a Denon AVR1802 amp to which I have connected a Sony DVP-NS300 DVD player and the following speakers, Gale 3030 Floorstanders, Gale 3050c, Gale Mini Monitors (Rears).

The problem seems to be with the right hand side of my setup, the rear right speaker seems louder than the rear left (Ihave swapped them over - no diff but I did swap the cables ove at the Amp end and it seemed better - althought my RR was now my RL and vice versa) but my main problem is with the extended edition of fellowship of the ring, the entire right hand side of the audio seems to be louder than the left, mainly with rear effects and music.

Could this be because it is a DD5.1EX / DTS 6.1ES soundtrack and the amp is only 5.1 ?

Also from time to time my amp drops the rear left DB level to -12 all by itself, I think the amp could be knackered but I'm not sure.

This is really bugging me guys - anyone help ?

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    If the amp keeps dropping channel levels by itself then it may have a fault. Try resetting the amp (the button press combination should be in the manual under PROCESSOR REINITIALIZATION). Make sure you write down ALL settings beforehand as doing this will reset everything to the defaults. If this doesn't cure the problem then you would need to get it back to the dealer and/or Denon.

3. andyboy

andyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Jase

I don't know why I didn't think of that before !

I'll try it tonight an post an update tomorrow.

4. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    touch wood ive had no problems with my 1802! on the subject of the 1802, have you had the dolby chip changed with denon. it was done free of charge and cured the problems pearl harbour, jurassic park 3 had with there soundtracks.

5. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Does the 1802 have 6.1? My bedroom is about 9ft by 9ft maybe 10ft by 1-ft the most.
    I have a sony 900NV someone said the Denon 3803 or 3802 would be a waste for such a small room especially a bedroom just wanted your views on what amp I should buy.

6. andyboy

andyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hamtaro

How did you go about getting this done ? my amp has 4 months left on it's manufacturers warranty so if this is what is wrong with the amp I'd definately try it.

My main problem is with FOTR Extended Edition especially when music is loud and the green dragon scene where the hobbits singing is just as loud from the left front as it is in the centre and also the resetting of the rear left to -12db all by itself !

7. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the thing i did was contact denon on there customer department, and explain that you have the denon 1802 which needs the upgrade chip[ explain that pearl harbour/ jurassic park 3 has the sound problem, they will know what you mean, basically you get muted sound from these discs via the 1802] denon will pick up your amp, and if mine is anything to go bye it was back within a week and the problem was fixed. also you may want to mention the other problem you may have, let me know how you get on.:hiya:

8. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this soundchip thing affects the denon 1802 , denon 1602, amps also bye kenwood, and onkyo. denons phone number is 01753888447