1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 1802 - How good and how gold?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by paiger, May 24, 2002.

Tags:
  1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony 940 at the mo and am thinking of swapping it for something with DPL2. I am looking at the 1802 which seems to be the equivalent of what I have but with DPL2. How do you reckon it will compare with my 940 which I am very happy with? I play a lot of CD's so good stereo is important.

Also, the rest of my gear is silver and I note that the 1802 is gold. It' looks pretty silver to me in the pics but with gold trimmings. How gold is it and how will it look against a silver DVD? Maybe I'll pop into town later and check it out.

S

2. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I went from a 940 to a 2802 and was totally blown away.
    much clearer, better sound, better steering around the surround speakers , more sensible user system. seems a better quality build.

Gold is gold, not silver. close in pictures, but does stand out in real world. I love the gold though.

remote is a poor joke. PLII is very good, much better improvement over PL. Denon's are loud ! my 90wpc denon blows away the 940 105(?)wpc.

I would recommend denon to my mates, some are looking and 1802 seems a good choice.

3. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I've gone the sae way as Bonsey and totally agree with what he has said.

All my other kit is silver but that just makes the Denon stand out:D It looks great!

4. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thanks guys. I'm looking at the 1802 at £329 in RS which may tempt me to go back there. This time I'll phone first to check stock and price first. I think stereo performance is more important to me than movies. I guess any £300 player will be fairly impressive in your living room with DD or DTS. My 940 is awesome in the first battle in Gladiator. The reason I went for it is the analogue bypass feature which actually makes a big difference to stereo sources. I guess this just shows that the EQ circuitry is flawed though. I think I'll go and demo the 1802 and see how much I can flog the 940 for. If it's only going to cost me £50/75 to change then the new warranty and the DPL2 will be worth it anyway.

S

5. happynow

happynow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the 1802 a couple of weeks ago, it's still in the house but connected upstairs in my sons room. I sold it to him and bought the Marantz sr5200 it is a little more cost wise but well worth it. The 1802 is great with movies, but only average with music. The marantz is great with both. Both Gold by the way. So if you like your music and movies go for the Marantz.
    The "Gold" by the way looks like silver when first out of the box on both these receivers. It's only when you put them beside your other silver equipment that the difference shows, IMHO that is.