1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

~~ Denon 1802 connection prob PLEASE HELP ~~

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by SilverPenguin7, Aug 16, 2002.

Tags:
  1. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    PLEASE HELP!!

I have just sorted out a new XLR to RCA cable to connect my Denon to my REL Storm (mk1). However, the only way I can get any bass is to have all the gains on both amp & sub turned up very high. Even then it doesn't seem to fill the room with bass half as much as when it was connected to my old Yammy DSPA980!?

I have gone through every sound option/adjustment I can find and nothing seems to really bring my sub back to life. Could there be a fault with the amp's sub out?

When doing hte test tone I do get a noise from the sub (again with gains up) but its not a 'smooth' rumble (not sure how to explain it), is this correct?

Someone help, its driving me mad!!

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +933
    Hi

Have you checked the LFE setting?, not the SW channel levels, the other setting which allows you to adjust from 0 downwards.

With the test tones the sub will rumble but its not smooth as such really.

Check the above, also you could reset the amp but make sure you write down all your settings first (speaker distances etc) Hold down the Stereo & Direct buttons (might be slightly different on your model, check the manual) and turn the Power On, the display will flash and put all settings back to the DEFAULTS.

It could also be the cable? Duff connection maybe??

3. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Have checked the LFE settings yes. Not reset the amp but at only 6 days old I wouldn't have thought it needed to be done? Will try incase.

Cable was tested today in fact and it did have a short but it was re-wired and tested again and is now fine!

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +933
    What are your speaker settings?? Large/Small? Bass to sub or LFE/MAIN etc??

Also crossover settings on the sub itself?

5. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Speakers are set to Small (tried large as well).

SW is set to YES.

Sub has 3 gain controls on back which I have played around with for an hour or so.

Have adjust Bass from 0 to + 12

Basically every bass/lfe setting that can be adjusted has been. Right now its all turned up a fair bit to get the bass I have right now. Sounds 'ok' but nowhere near as loud as it should considering how high everything is turned up/adjusted to.

P.S. Maybe its just time to pick up a new sub! Had this 7 years now. Whats all this Velodyne stuff about.....

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Sorry but I missed this thread earlier.

If you have had the sub for 7 years what have you done to change things as I presume that you have been happy with it in the past.

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +933
    Any way of checking the sub on another amp or another sub on the Denon? Try to eliminate one or the other. You could may well have a problem with the amp that buying a new sub is´nt likely to cure! (Velodynes are rather good though, got mine yesterday:D )

Only other option is to ask for a replacement amp from your dealer, they should replace it if it´s faulty (assuming it is:( ).

8. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Not done anything to change it. Just wired it to the new amp!!
    I moved it this evening and whilst it sounds 'margianlly' better its still not great. Watched Moulin Rouge tonight in dts and was not that amazed at all (from a sub point of view). Think I may 'borrow' a sub from a shop as suggested and try it at home to try and rule out one or the other :(

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I also have a Storm Mark 1 and am constantly amazed at what it can do, including Moulin Rouge. The volume on mine is turned up to about two out of ten

If it worked well with your previous amp there is either a problem with the amp, the cable or the setup.

I don't want to appear rude but you have the sub plugged into the correct socket on the amp and the XLR plug is wired the correct REL way and not the standard XLR wiring (which is different)

10. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    lol, don't worry you don't appear rude.

Have had the cable wired the correct way, told the guy in the shop the correct way and watched him do it so I know its not that.

It worked very well with the old amp (connected to that via the speaker terminals and not with an RCA - maybe thats why??).
    I suspect it could be the amp as thats the only thing that has been changed. I'm sure the amp is powerful enough to drive the REL as it has more power per channel than my Yammy.

Not sure if I should just get an exchange on the amp, or maybe get a different model?

EDIT: If I just changed the amp would it be worth just upgrading to the 2802 or the Marantz 4200/5200? Just wondering as I was toying with that idea to begin with but opted for the 1802 almost on impulse as it was the only thing in stock at RS at the time (would go elswhere if I upgraded).
    Where is a good place to try??

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The amp isn't driving the REL as it is connected to a line level output and the amp in the Storm is doing the driving.

It is either a setup problem or there is a fault somewhere, but if faulty it could be in amp, cable or line input to sub.

Unless you can get someone round who knows what they are doing I am at a loss to know what to suggest.

12. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Doh excuse me, have been up since 4am (damn early shift!).

I don't 'think' its a setup prob as I have spent aaaages going through everyhing. Cable 'should' be ok as it was tested (plus was being used to connect sub to old amp). Sub worked fine a week ago with old amp so the only thing left I guess is to suspect its the amp that may have a fault!?

13. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Ok, here is the latest:

Can get sub sounding better than before (though not as good as before) by moving it around the room and fiddling with controls, however the only way to get a real thump is by having gains up loud enough to hear the hum the MK1 REL produces due to an earth prob I have heard they suffer from.
    For some reason though channels like mtv seem to lack bass almost completely now whilst other channels sound ok?!?

Also, I have my Xbox plugged in to the optical digi out (via vcr1) yet for some reason now the sound doesn't come out! Its all set correctly in the setup menu but it just refuses to play any sound. If you turn volume to max however, you can hear the sky box sound coming through!?!

What the hell is going on????

I feel the amp may be going back!

Ian J, does your REL hum? Do you know the earthing problem cure?

14. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +933
    Seems to me that after checking everything etc you´ve got a duff amp:( Back to the shop for another is your only option by the looks of it.

Should´nt the X-Box be plugged into an Optical Input though??

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Sorry, no humming at all.

Contact Eric at REL who is very helpful. Either by telephone or eric@rel.net

16. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I would try a hi level input on the sub as see if it makes any difference.

It does sound like you may have a duff receiver.

My Denon 1802 is great, its subwoofer pre output is very good, I only require my gain on the IPL sub to be on 3 out of 10 and it absolutely sings along.

17. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    It is, optical 1 is selected for vcr1 (if you see what I mean).

Amp is going back tomorrow.

Am considering getting a Marantz 5200 instead as I have seen them going for £350 which seems like a good price to me. Or maybe the 2802.

Any suggestions?

18. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I used to have a Marantz 6200. It was a superb bit of kit and was better in stereo than most other AV amps in the price range.

The 5200 is given a Best Buy in HCC this month.

19. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Ian, you are fast becoming my hero! lol

Have just read the mag which is why I got to thinking it might be worth looking in to. However, just discovered that for £30 more I can get the 6200. Would you suggest I go for that as I am willing to spend up to £400 and want something that sounds good with music as well as movies.

20. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It has to be worth the extra £30 - after all that's just a couple of DVDs

21. Bapapapa

Bapapapa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For some reason though channels like mtv seem to lack bass almost completely now whilst other channels sound ok?!?

Surely watching regular TV in stereo or pro-logic wouldn't activate the sub channel anyway.. Unless of course you're using one of the funky dsp modes, of course..

Though why it's not working properly with a 5.1 soundtrack, I have no idea.

(You have set the amp to 'Sub? = Yes', yes..?)

22. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yep, sub is set to 'yes'.

Some music channels have bass whilst others dont, regardless of the mode you listen in.

Surely the sub will work for tv sources regardless of it being in stereo or 5.1? Everyhting came though the sub with the old Yammy :confused:

23. Bapapapa

Bapapapa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely the sub will work for tv sources regardless of it being in stereo or 5.1?

Shouldn't do unless, as I said before, you're using a dsp mode of some sort. TV broadcasts are in either mono, stereo or pro-logic, which do not have a dedicated .1 (sub) channel..

Everyhting came though the sub with the old Yammy

Yeah, but you had it wired to the front speakers, rather than the sub-pre-out, did you not? Wired that way, you'll have the sub booming out with 75yr old Charlie Chaplin movies.. :clown:

24. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    LMAO!!!!!

Good point though! So that means I have to listen to tv (including movies from sky) without the sub?!? I hope not as that would be crap! Having said that, I do get bass from some channels! Ah sod it I dont care, its going back tomorrow!

25. mickey moo

mickey moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't the XLR connector on the MK1 storm high level only ? I thought it had phono inputs for low level.

26. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There won't be LFE but the bass management in the amp will still send bass notes below 100Hz to the sub if the front speakers are set to small.

27. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Happy to say I replaced the Denon with the Marantz 5200 and tv sound is back to its room shaking self via the trusty ol Storm :D

28. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Thank goodness for that. I hope that you will be happy with your new setup. I certainly was with my Marantz and I like my Storm as well.