1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 1802 and LOTR DD sound dropout

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by joserosapt, Oct 11, 2002.

1. joserosapt

joserosapt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any of you guys with same gear (Denon 1802) experienced the same ? The problem (at least for me) is similar to what happened with Pearl Harbor ... i cant play the DD sound track.

Any news from Dolby on this ?

Thanks

2. Gomez

Gomez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This problem is well-known in Germany. Here, Denon is offering to replace the chip which is responsible for the DD- bug.

The bug only occurs which a special chip, which has been used for many Denon 1802, some Onkyo TX DS 595 and some other models I don't remember.:blush:

You should contact your dealer, where you purchased the unit, or even Denon directly. If you still have warranty on it, the replacement of the chip won't cost you anything.

Here in Germany, there was an official statement from Denon announcing the possibility of replacing the affected chip.

The biggest problem in the Germany is the availability of the new chip: Some users had to wait 5-6 weeks until they got their amp back.

3. joserosapt

joserosapt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,

will try to do so.

JR

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have played region 1 lotr on my 1802, and had no problem with either the french 2 channel or the english 5.1 soundtrack.pearl harbour and j.park3 are the supposley only dodgey ones

5. Big_AL007

Big_AL007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had one of these amps with the Pearl habour bug until I phoned Denon and ask for my money back which they agreed to. The had no alternative as the product has a design faulty so is not doing what it is supposed to do.
    They did not even argue about it, they asked if I wanted to wait and send it back for a chip replacement but I declined as I would of been without it for so long.
    Why not ask them for a refund then go get a much better one.
    Tip: go straight to Denon and bypass your retailer as they will not want to go to the trouble.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i did contact denon a while ago, and they were aware of the problem,the only thing they offered was to put me on there records , and contact me when the the problem could be resolved with dolby and denon,s jap techbods. the thing is what do i ask for in the basis of a refund? i bought this product from richer sounds 250.00 , and it makes me wonder if they,re well aware of this also! any suggestions? i would rather my product was exchanged with denon for something of equal quality.

7. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    My DENON 1802 has been flawless, it is has played many films including LOTR region 2 and always performed brilliantly.

I have it connected to my DVD by a 75 ohm coaxial lead.

8. Big_AL007

Big_AL007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Clone,
    By their own admission the product has a design fault, albeit not one of their chips. This I pointed out to them in a VERY nice way, I also said that I did not want the inconvenience of sending it back for 6 weeks. The laws on refunds are changed now and it gives you more rights especially if it causes inconvenience to the purchaser.
    I paid £400 for mine in January so got a refund but in your case maybe the new 1803 would be a better bet.
    If you would like to discuss this with me, PM me with a tel. no and ill brief you on how I approached it.

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i don,t know were to start . the denon 1802 cost me 250 so in theory denon{if they decide to}may only change it to something of that value. i could take it back to richer sounds, and get my money back. i dont want to go to another make and brand as the 1802 is the one i wanted.

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i contacted denon this week who said that they are still waiting for chips to re-install in 1802. in their defense the tech guy was helpfull and was at least pretending to be interested!which can be more than can be said of RICHER SOUNDS, who as ever knew nothing of the denon problems, and who would not phone denon to get some more info on the matter. the guy in the shop even walked away mid -sentance , to go and mess around with the till system. i am well ****ed with richer sounds , and wont be wasting any time or money there again! i will be phoning denon tommorow to complain that their authorised dealers are autherised idiots!!!!i will also be finding out what rights i have regarding this 1802! any suggestions from forum members?:(

11. Big_AL007

Big_AL007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I said before I got a refund, so there is a precedent.
    It has a design fault which was publicised in What HIFI in the March issue I think.
    If they say they need to put a new chip in it then its faulty and not fit for the purpose it was sold for. It aint like they are offering you a free upgrade by changing the chip, they are causing you inconvenience especially as ypou knew nothing of the problem when you bought the amp.

I spoke to a lady in the customer service dept after I talked to tech wechie who told me only they could authorise a refund or replacement. can not remember her name though :confused:

Clonetrooper if you want to send me some details I could try to talk to her again on your behalf, it may help if she remembers me, after all she cant say we dont sanction refunds can she...

AL

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i contacted denon today, and they were helpfull , they are picking the amp up on monday, fitting the new sound chip, and returning it to me in a few days. richer sounds could only offer this advice to me . 1; bring in dvd disc [ jp3 or pearl harbour] next week ,and if they have another 1802 in stock[surprise!]they will test another amp, chances are they won,t have another 1802, but they may, i am waiting for the return phonecall.denon are contacting all their retailers about this amp and the chip . hopefully all will be ok! :)

13. joserosapt

joserosapt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the feedback from our local Denon retailer and am sending in the 1802 for the board replacement. Will get it back in a few days.

Any of you guys that had it replaced already tried it with the troublesome DVD's ?

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when i get it back, i can test the discs. just a thought though! the chipset will have come from dolby labs,could it be slightly more better than the dodgy one?are all 5.1 chips the same?