1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 1802, 2802, 3802

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by meg, Mar 1, 2002.

Tags:
  1. meg

meg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody have a comparison chart of these three amps? Or any personal recommendations?

I'm thinking of upgrading my Sony STR-DB925 to one of these. Is it worth it?

Thanks,

Mark.

2. chrismoore

chrismoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you go to www.denon.co.uk click on the products icon then select any of the receivers.
    When the info comes up for the receiver go to the bottom of the page and select view model comparrison. It will show all the models together and their specifications.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's well worth upgrading. Everybody is going nuts for the 3082 at the moment, that's the one i would go for.

4. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    meg - I've recently upgraded from Sony str925 to a Denon 2802 and found a big difference in sound quality from CD and DVDs...

things have definitely moved from 2-3 years ago... plus the Sony was never that "musical" an amp.

basically as you move up the range, you get more power, EX/ES output and different remotes.. so Denon 1802-3802 goes from 75-110w per channel, 2802 adds one rear centre output, 3802 has two.

Denon 3802 is excellent as sean62 says.. 2802 is very similar for a lot less though.

5. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It has been said..... things have changed in 2/3yrs, so if your budget allows go for the 3802, with things still changing and the 3802 is a bit more future proof, if you can't accommadate the 2xsurround back speakers try the 2802 because apart from the extra channel and more power i don't think there is not a lot between them.

6. meg

meg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the advice! I am pretty sold on a new amp now, just got to decide which one!

To be honest, I can't really fit any rear centre speaker in the room, as there is a window right in the way. Even on 6.1 soundtracks, is this going to be a significant loss?

Mark.

7. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    bob007 (and mega) bar the obvious differences between the 3802/2802, there are no differences in the "future-proofing" of either... same inputs, sound formats, options etc...

only real diffs are 90-110w sound, 2 speaker outputs for rear centre and a better remote.

8. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also the 3802 has a 32 bit DSP whereas the 2802 has a 24 bit DSP. Don't know how much a perfomance difference this would make though between the two amps, but something else to bear in mind.

9. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With 7 channels versus 6 channels of amplification and
    5.1 external wide bandwidth (100 kHz) input for future multi-channel formats (such as DVD-Audio) on the 2802, but 7.1 on the 3802........i know which one i'd choose for the future.

10. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also have a listen to the new sony str-va555es its brilliant.

11. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I am also a sony 925 owner, I would have to agree it isn't great for cd playback, if I had the dosh to upgrade I would go for the 2802 for sure, who need's 2 rear centre's in a small lounge, one should be plenty.