Denon 1800BD and HD-DVD

EuroKiwi

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to high-definition, Blu-ray and HD-DVD. I'm not clear whether the Denon 1800BD is capable of playing HD-DVD format DVDs or not. Does anyone here know?

HD-DVD is a defunct format - if you are new to HD then you won't have any disks lying around. The machine you quote appears to be 3 yr old Blu-ray (and therefore also DVD) player. Depending on how cheaply you're getting it for you may find thay a current model (see other threads) has just as good PQ but more features and much faster operation.

Hi,

No is the simple answer. :)

The 1800BD will play blu-ray discs and dvd discs but not hd-dvd discs which as has been mentioned are a dead format that are no longer produced.

Thanks for the answers. I've noticed there are quite a lot of movies in HD-DVD format going for much cheaper than the same movie in Blu-ray, so was hoping to build up my High Definition movie collection on the cheap! Good to know that I can't do that with the 1800BD.

A DVD player that can handle DVD, HD-DVD, and Blu-ray would be verfy useful. Does anyone know if any players out there can?

Last edited:
First answer is - don't do it!

Second answer is - if you really want to then I'm sure you'll find some bargains in the second hand sub-forum and some advice in the HD-DVD sub-forum.

But please don't get into HD-DVD at this stage. I bought some before the format was abandoned amd a few more cheap afterwards and have ripped them to MKV via a PC drive to view them over DLNA but only with DTS soundtrack and no extras and so have actually ended up double-dipping some in BD by now.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom