Denon 1800/2500/3800 Multi Region for Blu Ray - HERE

Mad Mr H

Prominent Member
Reaction score
MOD EDIT:
There may be some possibility of the swapping causing problems, see the end of the thread. So as Andy says below, this really is at your own risk.
We'll update here if it proves to be the case. Proceed at your own risk.
END of MOD EDIT.

Its very simple to do and can be changed back and forth between regions. This takes about 2 minutes to change. This is for BOTH BLU RAY and DVD playback.

PLEASE DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK

I have a USA player. Loading the EURO firmware turns it into a UK region Blu & DVD player. Loading the USA firmware changes it into USA region Blu & DVD.
I have changed my player four times so far.
(EDIT 28/3/2011 - I now have several players, These and many others belonging to members had carried out this process, no issues reported)

You require a UK and USA serial number.

1800 UK 8117304386 Colour Black
2500 USA 8077300088
3800 USA 8027300299 Feb 2008
3800 USA 8067302414 June 2008
3800 USA 8117320090
3800 UK 8107301292 Colour black

NOTE ON SERIAL NUMBER NOTES FOR 3800 Machines ONLY
The Denon 3800 had an initial BATCH FAULT with weak Blu Ray laser AND incorrect 1080p24 HARDWARE - This could ONLY be corrected if the units were sent back to DENON USA (early units were USA)
ANY Denon 3800 dated Feb 08 or prior (see your date/serial label on rear of machine) has these faults UNLESS it has been returned to Denon USA for replacement.
For Ref
June 08 serial 806xxxxxxx
April 08 serial 804xxxxx are OK
As far as I know there were NO units produced between Feb and April 08 - This was while the issue was resolved, April )* units and onward are correct.
I have a failed early unit, its good for CD and DVD playback and does this very well, its not a door stop! but it does not play Blu Ray.

Link to USA firmware from DENON

PLEASE NOTE : On the USA site you require a serial number and a USA address - ALL of us have just made up an address and that works fine (90210 is the only Zip code I know, New York, New York is so good they named it twice! )

Link to UK firmware from DENON

PLEASE NOTE : On the UK site you require serial number and the colour of the machine.

I have tested this with the following Blu Rays which are region locked. They display a "Wrong region" Screen and then play following a firmware region change.

USA region locked Gone baby Gone & Revenge.
UK region locked The Wrestler, Terminator 2, Australia

Information on locked Blu Ray regions can be found here

Region B list

Region A list

Region A

Region B

Region Free

I have only done this with a USA player, Others have now tested with UK and other Euro units.

I this works with 1800 & 2500 UK and USA players - PLEASE NOTE - This will require the DENON 1800 or 2500 firmware and NOT the above 3800 info.

I will add more info and pictures when I find time, For now this should be enough informaton for those that wish to try AT YOUR OWN RISK

Last edited:
You're a good chap, Andy. Its not true what they say about you.

I think I'd better get me one of those dang american 3800s to replace my 2500, then.

Great work,

Nick

PS. How are the electricity shares doing?

There is now an UNCONFIRMED report that this works for the 1800 player as well.

That will require 1800 firmware. I have not tested this.

That would also add weight to the hope that the 2500 follows the same route - Again I have not tested this.

Thank you for all the work you've but into this project. :smashin: I'm now looking for a 2500 U.S serial number, if anyone has one. Then I just need to be brave enough to give it a go. :rolleyes:

So can anyone crack the software and determine what is different about each firmware, re-writing to include that which is required for both Regions to be supported. If it's in software, perhaps it's re-writable?

What if the PLAYER is embedded with a request from the firmware of which region it is meant to be....

The options are A B C , there might be a code for all region?

The firmware is 20+Mb so a fair size, changes then usually require a checksum etc.

Would be great if we did not have to load firmware to change region - But for now thats the best I have found.......

Anymore than that is beyond my ability.

The next stage is for someone to get hold of the DVD multi region option from Denon / Dealer if it exists - That sees tohave a flag that ONCE changed remains multi region even after additional firmware updates, Of course there could be the similar Blu ray flag as well..........Who knows, I don't.

There is now an UNCONFIRMED report that this works for the 1800 player as well.
That would also add weight to the hope that the 2500 follows the same route - Again I have not tested this.
Thank you for all the work you've but into this project. :smashin: I'm now looking for a 2500 U.S serial number, if anyone has one. Then I just need to be brave enough to give it a go. :rolleyes:
I'll have a go with my US 2500. I can pass on my serial number to anyone who wants it.

Andy - have you tried playing ay PAL DVDs on your 3800?

Cheers, Nick

I'll have a go with my US 2500. I can pass on my serial number to anyone who wants it.

Cheers, Nick

Nick - Chat with Ash he has UK you have USA of the 2500....

Could I ask that ONE of you tries it first....lets just reduce the risk of two bricks in one go :eek:.

PAL DVD - YES , I played Mamma Mia! , I took pictures but not had time to post them......

(Been running the Bryston 14B SST and TWO 4B SST on my Tannoy Big Boys :D:D:D - All I can say is powerful control can't wait for the others to arrive for the "main room" :D)

Andy.

This post by racerguy over AVS made me think that US players wouldn't accept PAL discs nomatter what, but I guess you've proven him wrong, Andy. Nice work.

Denon DVD3800BDCI Owner's Thread - Page 33 - AVS Forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmiles1
Hi
Can anyone recommend a dealer who would be prepared to ship to England?
I cannot, but before you try to import one you should know that the US version of this player is hard-wired for Region 1/NTSC. It will not play PAL discs.
Nick

Hi Nick,

To be fair thats on page 32 and now they are on page 182 :eek:.

So thingshave moved on - Thats digital for ya ;).

Cant wait to hear which one of you is gonna try the 2500 mod........

Cheers, Nick

Hi Nick, thanks for the pm. I'll pm you my serial number later, I'm not at home at the moment.

What if the PLAYER is embedded with a request from the firmware of which region it is meant to be....

The options are A B C , there might be a code for all region?

The firmware is 20+Mb so a fair size, changes then usually require a checksum etc.

Would be great if we did not have to load firmware to change region - But for now thats the best I have found.......

Anymore than that is beyond my ability.

The next stage is for someone to get hold of the DVD multi region option from Denon / Dealer if it exists - That sees tohave a flag that ONCE changed remains multi region even after additional firmware updates, Of course there could be the similar Blu ray flag as well..........Who knows, I don't.

Hi Andy, There is no 1.119 MR disk yet only 1.118, and if you use that it will return your player to 1.118. There also seems to be two sources of this firmware and one of them completely messes up the play back of SD DVD's. I've been waiting for about a month or so for my dealer to get me a copy, but the rep keeps bringing them the corrupted version.

RE Multi Region DVD playback......

This would need to be tested, many other MR updates (HD DVD XA2 / XE1 etc) are not changed in new firmware. the idea being that once you g MR on DVD there is no need to o back to a fixed region......

Thismeans that in those cases the MR firmware will set the player into a sort of locked MR mode and not change with new firmware.

As it is simple to update it might be worth running the MR 1.118 and then standard 1.119 and see if the DVD is still MR or region coded.......

To be honest for ME I only play Hi Def so not an issue but happy to try it for others......

USA Denon 3800BDCI running Euro Firmware v1.119

Now playing UK version 007 Quantum of Solace :D:thumbsup::D.

This was one of the films that I was asked to check.

Edit - Just finished watching , All fine.

Last edited:
RE Multi Region DVD playback......

This would need to be tested, many other MR updates (HD DVD XA2 / XE1 etc) are not changed in new firmware. the idea being that once you g MR on DVD there is no need to o back to a fixed region......

Thismeans that in those cases the MR firmware will set the player into a sort of locked MR mode and not change with new firmware.

As it is simple to update it might be worth running the MR 1.118 and then standard 1.119 and see if the DVD is still MR or region coded.......

To be honest for ME I only play Hi Def so not an issue but happy to try it for others......

Hi Andy, I have tested it. I have the 1.115 MR firmware and when the player is flashed with it, it rolls back all firmware to 1.115. As you may or may not know the 1.115 firmware had problems playing universal blu-ray films, so there's no real point in using this MR version. As I mentioned in my earlier post there is a 1.118 MR firmware, but again it will roll a 1.119 player to 1.118. In short unlike Tosh HD players, Denon Blu-ray players will have to have a new MR firmware each time the standard firmware is renewed.

So after you apply the 1.115 MR firmware, if you then apply the 1.118 normal firmware the machine is no longer multi-region?

But if you use the UK or USA firmware then you pick your region for BLU RAYS.

The MR firmware is DVD MR only right ?

THE firmware I mention is BLU RAY multiregion for those that are unsure.

Also looks like we have a tester for a UK 3800 into USA Blu Ray :thumbsup:.

Nick / Ash - Either of you tried the 2500 yet ???

Hi Andy, I was unable to download from the USA site because you have to put your address details in. As I don't live in the USA it wouldn't let me download it. So unless you know of another way around it, I'm a non starter. I have pm nick my serial number, and as the UK site only need your model/colour/ and serial number he should have better luck. If anyone can email me the USA firmware (zipped) or know of another site where I can download it from, please let me know.

But if you use the UK or USA firmware then you pick your region for BLU RAYS.

I think you will find mate that the UK or USA firmware will affect both the Blu-ray and DVD playback, as will the MR firmware. But you may know different. :smashin:

I have the 1.115 MR firmware and when the player is flashed with it, it rolls back all firmware to 1.115. Denon Blu-ray players will have to have a new MR firmware each time the standard firmware is renewed.
Is that multi-region FW for DVD?

Thanks for the serial number ash, I'll download it tonight?

Cheers, Nick

Hi, RE USA ADDRESS.......

I just made one up !!!

The only zip code I know is 90210

Town new york, new york

etc.

Dont give up at that point :eek:.

I would ONLY download from the official DENON site

Last edited:
Is that multi-region FW for DVD?

Thanks for the serial number ash, I'll download it tonight?

Cheers, Nick

Hi Nick, yes it only makes the DVD side of it multi region. But what ever version you use like 1.115 or 1.118. It will make the Blu-ray side of it that version as well.

Hi, RE USA ADDRESS.......

I just made one up !!!

The only zip code I know is 90210

Town new york, new york

etc.

Dont give up at that point :eek:.

I would ONLY download from the official DENON site

Hi Andy, thanks mate I'll give it a try. :smashin:

OK, would anyone like to know whether the region coding can be changed on the 2500BTCI?

Yes it can! I can hardly believe my good fortune, and it was pretty quick and easy, really.

I used to buy almost exclusively region A blus, but have switched to region B now, and we're likely to continue that way. This is such good news and I can hardly believe there's no need for any hardware. Thanks to Andy again, and roll on the 3800...

I'm a bit of a roll actually - this fortnight I have a new job (that allows me to access AVF!!) new car, new laptop, new mobile, new bank, and an absolutely fantastic new PC just today. I can just feel the momentum carrying me towards an Onkyo PR-SC885 as well, and then everything will be complete. Very happy chap.

Nick

Hi

I have a UK Region B 3800 and will be trying the firmware switchover to a Region A as soon as I get back from my hols (approx 10 days from now.)

I've ordered Counterfeiters (Region A locked), so that will be my first test disk.

As soon as it's done, I'll post how I get on.

A huge thanks once again to Andy.

Ian

OK, would anyone like to know whether the region coding can be changed on the 2500BTCI?

Yes it can! I can hardly believe my good fortune, and it was pretty quick and easy, really.

I used to buy almost exclusively region A blus, but have switched to region B now, and we're likely to continue that way. This is such good news and I can hardly believe there's no need for any hardware. Thanks to Andy again, and roll on the 3800...

I'm a bit of a roll actually - this fortnight I have a new job (that allows me to access AVF!!) new car, new laptop, new mobile, new bank, and an absolutely fantastic new PC just today. I can just feel the momentum carrying me towards an Onkyo PR-SC885 as well, and then everything will be complete. Very happy chap.

Nick

Hi Nick, you didn't hang about mate, great news. :thumbsup:
It looks like Denon may not be bringing 1.119 to the UK for the 2500, at least that what Denon tech support have told me. Their still looking into it at the moment. So if anyone has any issues with there 2500 not playing certain titles, please let Denon know about it.

Lets hope your good fortune lasts mate. ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom