Denon 1740 vs. Pioneer DV600 vs. Samsung 870

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by flew21, Sep 19, 2007.

1. flew21

flew21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi...
    Am looking at getting a DVD player - particularly interested in the upscaling aspect - to 1080p for showing on a Sony KDL40W2000 tv.
    Looking around this forum it seems these are the three people are talking about. So does anyone have an opinion on which one would win out if the three went head to head, and any reasons why.

Your help is appreciated!

thanks.:smashin:

2. johnmerrick

johnmerrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    i would suggest not bothering with upscaling. Just get the Pioneer and leave it at standard and let the tv do the scaling itself.

the picture is more natural at it's proper resolution.

3. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    What if your tv gives scaling artifacts? The samsung is a lot cheaper, apparently denon's DVD players have had a history of dodgy bugs which they never resolved and the pio is more in the league of the denon 1940 apparantly.

I'd probbaly go with the samsung for a punt or the pio if your feeling flush, the denon probably has the best build quality but that stands for nothing if the unit doesn't perform perfectly (although it might).

There seems to be a group of people seeming determined to deride the abilities of upscaling, unless you have a top end branded tv then the scaling on these units is likly to be better. When you buy the more expensive tv's your paying for better image processing and scaling, a dvd upscaler can provide the same functionality and sometimes even better (although at this price, its 50/50).
    For people with cheaper screens even from the biggies the image processing usualy leave a lot to be desired (and if you have something like a goodmans you can really see an improvement)and so a dvd upscaler is a great solution (better than punting a £1k+ on a new tv). Ofcourse the tv has to process every incoming signal, a dvd upscaler only processes its own, so with a good tv it benifits freeview, sky sd (hd) ect... If your tv has a farudja/HQV or other known scaling engine then shame on you for considering a £100 dvd player considering the price of the TV you have, ofcourse the scaler in a £50-150 player is not gonna be as good

4. Fangorn

Fangorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    How does the latest Oppo compare to these models guys?

5. flew21

flew21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the info gents! Some food for thought.
    I notice that the Pioneer has usb as well - this puts it ahead in my book - but does anyone know if it will play avi's through this?
    Also are there any other players out there that do this? It seems like a great idea!

:thumbsup:

6. cohenra

cohenra
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a denon 1940 - lip sync issues with region 1 discs and no real difference at higher levels of upscaling on my panasonic tv. Own a samsung 870 at present which has a great pic but okay sound. Not impressed with the Denon for the extra money. Will be trying the dv 600.

7. PD_BARBS

PD_BARBS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I bought the pioneer a few weeks ago from scan for £82, so not over priced. I am very happy with it, some darkness problems playing Kingdom of Heaven, but everything else plays fine. The best thing about this player is the sound, which is something else. I really bought it for picture only, but hearing the sound through my cheap TEAC amp, is something else. I would very much recommend this player, especially if you get it at that price.

8. dibdab

dibdab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I can recommend the pioneer out of that lot. :thumbsup: As i have had no issue at all with it. Plays all discs i've thrown at it from different regions. And the sound on it is great too.