Denon 1740 vs Denon 1940 - Query?

smashmouse

Established Member
Reaction score
All

Looknig for a new DVD player, was originally considering the Denon 1940, but looking at the specs of the Denon 1740, it may be suitable for me. I just have a couple of queries which I hope someone can confirm.

1) 1740 doesn't have the analogue multichannel phono ports, but if multichannel music can be sent to a receiver over hdmi on the 1740 then this doesn't matter, correct? btw, I plan on buying new receiver, possible Onkyo 805.

2) 1740 doesn't have bur brown DACs on all channels (because it doesn't have the analog ports), but if multichannel sound is sent to amp with these dacs, it doesn't matter, because conversion will be done at amp. Correct?

3) 1740 doesn't have Faroudja DCDi for video deinterlacing, but the onkyo amp does, so in that case would it make a difference? Or does some video processing need to be done anyone as the data is taken from the disc and best to do this at source?

The I'm only left to decide if I want to pay more for a 1940 for the aluminium front.

From the Denon homepage for the 1740:

* Progressive Scan featuring DCDi by Faroudja.

Which was one of the reasons why I was avoiding it (something about macroblocking)! Have you read something different?

KnightAzul

Can you send a link to that?

I've looked on the denon.co.uk site and it doesn't state that for the 1740.

1740 progressive scan engine is by Matsushita.

Smashmouse, you're correct, the 1740 does not have Faroudja progressive scan and the other points you list are correct as well. The only thing you've overlooked, which may not matter to you, is that unlike the 1940, the 1740 does not play SACD and DVD-A disks.

Ooops, sorry I was wrong and looking at the 1940 specs.

Does this mean that the 1740 will not have the dreaded macroblocking problems? Any reports on lip-synch issues with the 1740?
Other than that, it could also be the player for me!

KnightAzul

I do not believe that the much-discussed Faroudja macro-blocking problem and lip sync issues are quite as prevalent as some people think. I have the Denon 1930 connected to a 37" Sharp LCD via HDMI cable and to a Denon AVR 4802 via coax cable and have experienced neither of those problems. I suppose it depends on the equipment you're connecting to. I gather that the macroblocking problem is most common with certain Panasonic plasma displays while it is non-existant with other displays. For all the criticism directed against Faroudja processors (macroblocking, old technology), it nonetheless produces superb picture quality that is probably only surpassed by the newer and more expensive Reon and Realta processors seen in the Denon 2930 and 3930 players.

For all the criticism directed against Faroudja processors (macroblocking, old technology), it nonetheless produces superb picture quality that is probably only surpassed by the newer and more expensive Reon and Realta processors seen in the Denon 2930 and 3930 players.

Yes I agree.

I've got the Denon 1940 and it's great.

I could probably live with the macroblocking, but lip-synch would be a definite deal breaker. Reading this forum it would seem that the 1930 was notorious for this, however, it is true that most people post when they have problems. Other players with the Faroudja processors didn't seem to suffer the same problems.

I would like to pick up a new 1740/1940 but need to gain more confidence that these problems have been fixed by Denon before investing my hard-earned...

KnightAzul

I could probably live with the macroblocking, but lip-synch would be a definite deal breaker. Reading this forum it would seem that the 1930 was notorious for this, however, it is true that most people post when they have problems. Other players with the Faroudja processors didn't seem to suffer the same problems.

I would like to pick up a new 1740/1940 but need to gain more confidence that these problems have been fixed by Denon before investing my hard-earned...

KnightAzul

The 1730 didn't suffer from any lip sync issues, neither did the previous 17X0 models. I'm pretty confident that the 1740 will be fine.

The 1920 suffered from it and so did the 1930, therefore, if you want the 1940, I'd wait a while until you hear some reviews and user experiences on this forum.

I'm crossed between the Denon DVD-1740 and the Pioneer DV-600AV.

The 1930/1940 will have better upscaling and deinterlacing qualities of course. If you're not so bothered with picture quality and don't need SACD/DVDA playback then get the 1740.

I thought the 1740 and 1940 had the same scaling, but different de-interlacing chip.

Anyone have any ideas if it would be ok upscaling with a 1740, sending it to an Onkyo 805 with Faroudja DCDi to do the deinterlacing?

Or would it be best just getting a 1940 in the first place?

I'm not bothered about SACD or DVD-Audio

I thought the 1740 and 1940 had the same scaling, but different de-interlacing chip.

Anyone have any ideas if it would be ok upscaling with a 1740, sending it to an Onkyo 805 with Faroudja DCDi to do the deinterlacing?

Or would it be best just getting a 1940 in the first place?

I'm not bothered about SACD or DVD-Audio

It's possible but unlikely that the 1740 and 1940 share the same scaler. Except for the very expensive players, deinterlacing and scaling are usually handled by the same chipset. In any event, you can send out a 1080i signal from the 1740 to the Onkyo for deinterlacing.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm looking around for any info I can find on these two players.

Obviously, I'd like the 1740 to be fine for what I want (it's £90 now from RS), but I realise the 1940 should be "better", but it's £200 from RS.

Given that I'll have at least an AVR-1909, possibly an AVR-2309, which both have Faroudja processing, would those features of the 1940 be superfluous, meaning the 1740 would suit me fine?

FWIW, I'd originally planned on a Panasonic DMR-EX78 or even EX88 (mainly for the jukebox functionality), but decided to spend less on a DVD player.

How would/does the EX78 compare with the 1740 or 1940 at DVD playback (video and audio) and CD playback?

Thanks,

Mark

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom