Denon 1720: Mystery Firmware

SMooV

Standard Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a second hand Denon 1720. It was sold as a region 2 player and I am aware that it was originally purchased in Korea. The box and player are both labelled as PAL region 2.

On receipt, it did not in fact play region 2 discs, but did play the few region free movie backups that I have. It also plays all the other types of media you would expect of it, just cant get it to play region 2. (Dont have any Region 1, so have not tried this).

The current firmware on the player is E6186KD version 1.19, and I have tried to install the widely available european multiregion firmware (E6182ED104) without success. It gives me a "H/W Model Error! (Video Signal)" message.

I have trawled the web for "KD" firmware but have not had any joy. I got the player for a good price, so am happy to keep it if I can upgrade the firmware, however, if nothing is available then I will have to consider sending it back.

I am assuming that as it will play region free DVD-RW's that the player is not "sick".

I would appreciate any support, guidance and assistance that you might be able to offer.

Regards,

SMV.

I know everyone is probably sick of firmware enquiries, but would really appreciate any advice.

Regards,

SMV

When you checked the firmware version, what region did the player say it was?

I never thought about checking the actual region code on the firmware screen till you mentioned it, Doh!

This is odd...........it says that it is Region 0, which should mean it can play region 2 discs. Why would it display region free copies but not genuine region 2 discs? I am starting to think that this might be a hardware problem. What do you think?

SMV

Either that or when the unit was updated/converted something went a little wrong.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom