Denon 1713 - Newbiew questions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by hamd01, Feb 22, 2013.

Tags:
  1. hamd01

hamd01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Hi,
    Last night I finally got around to setting up our 1713 amp. the setup went well using the mic, and all speakers seem to be performing.

So far I have only connected sky but I dont seem to be getting Dolby digital. The display just shows STEREO. The sky box is connected using HDMI & an optical lead. I presume somwhere in the settings I have to tell it to use optical for audio on this connection..... but I cannot find the settings. Does anyone know how to do it?

Whilst testing, I also pressed a button on the remote to change the sound effect. The button is MUSIC, which changed the sound....quite nice I suppose but the problem is I cannot seem to turn it off. there are four buttons for different sound effects, but no way to turn the effect off once you have pressed one of the 4. Ive even tried turning the amp off.

Does anyone know how to turn OFF the effects?

Many thanks for any help.

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,956
    Press the green Movie button and hold it down to select stereo. This will be the raw inpoming signal from the SKY box if not yet getting audio via the optical connection. Better still, select PLII via the Movie option and when you are setup to receive audio via the optical feed, you'll automatically switch to Dolby Digital 5.1 when audio encoded as such is present. PLII gives you pseudo surround from stereo sources but is overridden by discrete multichannel audio. Note that each source can have a different setting and the setting you choose for each source remains the same until you change it again.

To assign SKY box's optical feed to the HDMI video input on the receiver, you need to go into the Inputs / Inputs Assign menu.

Remember to also turn on Dolby Digital within the SKY box's audio settings.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  3. hamd01

hamd01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Dante, it was you who put me onto this great amp...so appreciate your help, your a star.

Im at work at the moment, but from memory when I pressed MOVIE the display did change to PLII.... is that what you mean?

The part about changing the input assignment totally makes sense....I hadnt done that.

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,956
    If you hold down any of the coloured buttons then a menu appears that gives you different sound mode options. The Movie button will give you several options and one of which will be "DOLBY PLII CINEMA". This isn't the raw format coming into the receiver, but it will give you pseudo surround in conjunction with stereo TV broadcasts as well as being overridden whenever a discrete 5.1 encoded broadcast is detected. You should note that not all content is broadcast with a 5.1 discrete soundtrack and even the channels using Dolby Digital frequently broadcast some of their content in stereo.

5. hamd01

hamd01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Thank you, it worked perfectly :) I couldnt find anything transmitting in DD on Sky, as we dont have movies.... but hopefully everything will work when I do find something!

On another note.... when we switch the TV off, the amp does seem to stop playoing for a few seconds, and then starts back up.... which means we have to switch the amp AND TV off in order to stop sound. Is there any way that the 1713 can detect when your TV is off, and mute sound?

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,956
    The HD channels use Dolby Digital. SKY1 HD, Living HD or the BBC's HD channel all use it regardless of whether the content is stereo or 5.1.

Note that if the content being broadcast in Dolby Digital is only stereo then you'll still only see PLII Cinema appear on the receiver's front panel. It isn't until you get discrete audio with 5.1 channels or more that Dolby Digital will appear on the display.

You can go into the SETUP menu and to the GENERAL / INFORMATION submenu where there's both an option for AUDIO and VIDEO. These two menus will give you detailed info on what exact format is coming into the receiver.

Go to the SKY1 HD channel and then open the SETUP -> GENERAL -> INFORMATION -> AUDIO menu and this should indicate that you are indeed now receiving Dolby Digital regardless of whether the audio is stereo or 5.1. If still only receiving audio from the SKY box via HDMI then the AUDIO info (input signal) will say PCM and not Dolby Digital.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  7. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,956

Not sure whether HDMI control would turn off the receiver whenever you switch off the TV? Try enabling HDMI control on both the receiver and the TV. Note that the TV isn't the source for the audio and the SKY box is still on when you turn the TV off. SKY boxes have no HDMI control capabilities.

I'd ultimately suggest you consider the purchase of a Harmony remote. This will turn everything off with a single button press or ensure unused components are turned off while switching required components on in conjunction with changes of activity.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  8. hamd01

hamd01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Well I've tried this and it always shows PCM. I've got the football on sky sports hd now, and even that says PCM.

The sky box is set to optical, Dolby digital, and I have assigned the cable/sat input to use optical audio in the denon setup menu. Is there an option im missing somwhere, as it would appear that the optical cable isn't being used?

9. hamd01

hamd01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Sorted. Needed to set input mode from auto, to digital...and hey presto, Dolby digital starting displaying on the receiver.