1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 1710 VS Pioneer 575A

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by PC_112, Apr 12, 2005.

1. PC_112

PC_112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Which is one has better PQ and less problems? Any other players better than these ones at comparable prices?

2. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,473
    If you search this forums on, say, 1710, you'll come up with a load of info on this topic.

Personally, I find the comparison betwen the two bizarre. If DVD Audio and SACD playback, and DiVX support are important, buy the Pioneer (as the Denon won't be of any use).
    But it's truly amazing how many people want to buy the 575 and have never heard of, or have no interest in DVD/Audio etc.
    Why this player then, as that's one of the main selling points? :confused:

If it's ONLY pic quality, then IF the Pioneer is better, and given that it also does a hell of alot more than the Denon, it would seem to suggest that it is the biggest bargain of all time!
    Logic would suggest that the Denon 'should' have a better picture, as apart from basic audio functions, that's all it does.

Seriously, you need to decide what you want the thing to do. I would suggest that if it's only pic quality, go for the Denon, although I've never seen one (but at least you won't be wasting your money on stuff you'll never use). And bear in mind that there are probably a whole lot of other competitors ,for similar money, which are more similar to it than the 575.
    Phil

3. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the 575A and am very impressed by the PQ, never seen the denon so cant compare the 2.

But as I got mine for £99 I have to say it is an absolute bargain!! I have it hooked up Via component to my Panny PWD6 plasma and the picture is stunning.

I know that compared to high end players I am probably missing quite a bit it terms of PQ but for the money!! hey if I upgrade in 6 month the kids will have a great player that plays just about anything you could want it too.

So IMOA the pioneer gets the vote on flexibility if nothing else.

Cheers

Chris

4. Barnetto

Barnetto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well this is partly the issue that is still holding me back on buying a DVD player. I don't need all the additional stuff like SACD etc, just the best quality playback of purchased movie dvds at a good price. But it is difficult to get straightforward info on this - having said that £99 for the Pioneer is very tempting but if there are better PQwise players out there which put money into PQ components rather than the "extras" I would very much like to know.

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    PQ on the Pio is :smashin: (via component - not tried others)

Know what you mean about the SACD/DVD-A features, but they don't seem to have compromised on PQ to provide these - build quality perhaps.

You can't go wrong with the Pio, and you never know you may want to dabble with SACD etc later on so look upon it as a "nice to have".

People seem very keen on the Limit player Play.com are selling - it's just been reduced to £70 I think - that may be worth a look.

Good thing about the Pio though is that you can get it from Richer and chuck it back at them if you are in any way unhappy.
    ...PJ

6. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Having compared a Pioneer DV-868 and DV-575A on an Hitachi 42" plasma using component the differences in PQ are not as large as you would think.

The 868 is better but the differences subtle. For £99.99 (multi-region) I really don't think you can go far wrong with the 575A.

I bought the 575A for my father and to be honest he knows nothing about Home Cinema. When asking which picture he thought was better he said he couldn't tell the difference. To be fair he's not watched a DVD on a plasma before but it does show that the differnces tend to be smaller between entry, mid and high end players nowadays.

If you're not interested in SACD/DVD-A and do have a receiver which will accept 5.1 input treat yourself and buy a multi-channel SACD you maybe surprised with the quality of the sound.

As always, try before you buy then you waste your money.

7. Barnetto

Barnetto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks PJ - yes, the ability to pop down to Richer Sounds to get it (and return if necessary) is a real factor in the Pio's favour.

I see you have both Pio 575 and Samsung 745 - how do rate the PQ of the 575 on component against the 745 via DVI. I have a Sharp LCD TV so could use the DVI option and have sort of been waiting for the next gen of HDMI/DVI DVD players to make a purchase.

(Also sort of waiting to see what the Xbox2/360/Xenon will use as its output to see if that will require the use of the DVI socket or the Component socket of my LCD.)

8. Barnetto

Barnetto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent sanity check, thanks. Good point about the SACD, I would certainly give it a go though I suspect that the entry level 5.1 speakers I have (Mordaunt Short Premier system) may struggle to do it justice?

9. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    It's an interesting comparison, have a look at this thread...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202122

Of course the "on my setup" applies but in my book component 'aint dead yet!

I needed a 2nd player so I'm happy with the Sammy - and at £160 including the 15m DVI cable I didn't exactly break the bank to try it. But I can see it being relagated, like my (excellent) Pio 525 before it, to kid/wife fodder once HD players appear - but I think it will be a few years yet before costs come down and the outcome of the "format war" is clear...PJ

:)