1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 1710 vs Marantz DV4500

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by digitaldave, Jun 21, 2005.

1. digitaldave

digitaldave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I'm still looking at getting a DVD player to replace my Toshiba SD-330E, and was looking at the Denon 1710 and Marantz DV4500. What are the differences between these two models, if any? Is the Marantz worth the extra £100 over the Denon? Output will be via RGB SCART to a Sony 32" TV.

2. cabstar

cabstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi

Having had both the Tosh 330e & the Denon 1710 I would say keep the Tosh. I could see hardly any difference between the 2. The Tosh has the edge I think as the build quality feels better than the Denon. I have played both of them through component out to a 42inch RPTV Tosh.

I certainly havent noticed much difference in the sound quality either.

Regards

Gary

3. digitaldave

digitaldave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    cabstar,

Thanks for the reply :). I'd love to keep the Tosh, as it's a great player, but unfortunately, the mechanism has started making a noise during playback that gets very distracting during quiet scenes :(. So unless I can sort it out somehow, I'm going to need a replacement. I guess I can strike the Denon 1710 off the list.

Any thoughts about the Denon 1910? Is that a significant step up from the 1710, or does it just add DVI and Faroudja DCDI, both of which would be of no use to me as I don't have a display with DVI input or progressive scan capability :).

Thanks.

4. digitaldave

digitaldave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Isn't this just typical... I watched a documentary on the Apollo 13 2 disc se last night, and... no noise :smashin:. Maybe because I have moved things around a bit, so it might have been sitting badly before, or had the chassis slightly twisted? Anyway, happy now, as it's back to being quiet again. That's saved a few quid :).