Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Denon 1710 vs Marantz DV4500

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by digitaldave, Jun 21, 2005.

1. digitaldave

digitaldave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I'm still looking at getting a DVD player to replace my Toshiba SD-330E, and was looking at the Denon 1710 and Marantz DV4500. What are the differences between these two models, if any? Is the Marantz worth the extra £100 over the Denon? Output will be via RGB SCART to a Sony 32" TV.

2. cabstar

cabstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi

Having had both the Tosh 330e & the Denon 1710 I would say keep the Tosh. I could see hardly any difference between the 2. The Tosh has the edge I think as the build quality feels better than the Denon. I have played both of them through component out to a 42inch RPTV Tosh.

I certainly havent noticed much difference in the sound quality either.

Regards

Gary

3. digitaldave

digitaldave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    cabstar,

Thanks for the reply :). I'd love to keep the Tosh, as it's a great player, but unfortunately, the mechanism has started making a noise during playback that gets very distracting during quiet scenes :(. So unless I can sort it out somehow, I'm going to need a replacement. I guess I can strike the Denon 1710 off the list.

Any thoughts about the Denon 1910? Is that a significant step up from the 1710, or does it just add DVI and Faroudja DCDI, both of which would be of no use to me as I don't have a display with DVI input or progressive scan capability :).

Thanks.

4. digitaldave

digitaldave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Isn't this just typical... I watched a documentary on the Apollo 13 2 disc se last night, and... no noise :smashin:. Maybe because I have moved things around a bit, so it might have been sitting badly before, or had the chassis slightly twisted? Anyway, happy now, as it's back to being quiet again. That's saved a few quid :).