Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Denon 1603 or equivalent?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Darren Blake, May 6, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi all.

I've been hanging around in the plasma screens forum trying to get a handle on which one to buy. Just for background, I'm a newbie going from nought-to-home-cinema in a few weeks courtesy of a marriage breakup :-( and a remortgage :)

I was all set to buy a surround system AND a tuner box for my screen, when I realised that an AV reciever would do both jobs. Basically I have been looking at the Denon AVR1603 but I was wondering if you guys could suggest any alternatives in the same price range, with nice features - the kind of thing that doesn't leap out from the basic spec sheet.

I need:
    At least 4 video in connections. (SCART or S-video).
    At least 3 stereo phono in connections.
    1x digital audio connection (optical or coaxial).
    1x extra set of composite video / audio left/right phono sockets in the front panel.
    At least 5 speaker channels out + sub.
    At least 1 video out (obviously) either component or S-video.
    Dolby DTS / Dolby digital decoding.

Also, a "would like" is a 15 pin D-sub connector for hooking up my PC to the AV reciever, although I can pipe this straight through to the screen with a bit of extra wiring.

The 1603 seems to fit the bill (I really need to go and see one) but for example doesn't do the component out, and I'm not sure if all of the AV connectors are in the front or back panel.

Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

*edit* model number corrected to 1603. The 1803 does have component out, and more than enough inputs for me!

2. mbbx0bbr

mbbx0bbr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have a denon 1803 that u might be intrested in. Second hand it may be the saem price as ur 1603.

If u have any questions just ask. (although prices etc, then PM me or email me, in my profile)

(it has been posted in the classified section b4).

It does everything u want it to do, plus prob some other stuff. If u want i can send u a link for the manual for the denon 1803.

Bob

3. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Cheers for the reply. To tell the truth I'm only using the 1603 as an example at the moment. I'd like a few suggestions for similar spec AV receivers to compare it to so I can sound like I know what I'm talking about when I go to the shops on Friday! :D

4. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    The 1803 is available for around £300 and must be a steal at that price. I would recommend you squeeze out the extra cash for the 1803 over the 1603. I've been well pleased with mine - and in gold it looks the dog's .........

In fact there are several amps in that price bracket which are great performers for the money - Marantz is a definite contender, also HK. In the end the choice will probably come down to features since performance is pretty much the same IMHO. Where they do differ is cinema versus music - the 1803 is great for cinema but less so for music.

5. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Having downloaded the specs for both the 1603 and the 1803 I would definately go for the 1803. I can use the comp out to drive the screen and the comp in to connect to my 15 pin monitor via a suitable adaptor.

I have a separate set up for music, and no plans to integrate it into my embryo HC as yet, so a good music amp is not really a selling point.

How about Sony? I can't make head nor tail of their spec sheet brochure, but as a rule I like their products.