Denon 1602 £189 / 1802 £249 WHICH ONE ??

F

foxmeister

Richer Sounds have reduced the price of the Denon 1602 again, this time to £189, seems like a bargain but the 1802 is at £249.
Is it worth paying the extra £60 for the latter.
Could someone please make my mind up for me ???

There was an article in what hi-fi a couple of months ago comparing the 1602/1802/2802/3802.

In the end they said the ones to go for where the 1602 and the 3802.In thier opinion the 1802 is not worth the extra cash over the 1602 for a few extra inputs.

Thanks very much for your replies so far, I think the 1602 is favourite but before I order it I have seen this comment in a review;

The audio connectivity is fairly good, with five stereo inputs and two outputs, plenty of digital inputs and one optical output. As a video switching centre, however, the 1602 is very poorly equipped. This is a very serious drawback. It has no S-video inputs or outputs at all, leaving just three composite video inputs and two outputs.

Could somebody please explain in simple terms (I am no expert but I am learning !!) what this means, in particular 'video switching centre' ....

Thanks again for your time ...

If I am right I think that you can run all the picture signals through the Amp. Thus the amps on screen display can be used etc.

I think......

Thanks for that Brad, I think you are right.
I've just been searching the web and I have discovered that if I was to buy the 1602 and connect it to the plasma I intend buying then I will be unable to configure it on screen due to the lack of S Video socket.
Please someone correct me if I am wrong, this has put me off the 1602, back to the drawing board !!!!

If you buying a plasma, why dont you just spend a few quid more and get one of the HIGH end Denons (3802 or AS1 etc).

Of has the budget been blown on the Plasma!!!:D

Brad, yes the budget has been blown slightly !!
I was hoping that the 1602 or 1802 would suffice as I intend spending 3k on the Panasonic plasma when I move into my newly built house in October !!
Also I intend buying the Mission FS1-AV's to 'complete the set' once I have read a review of them so thats another £400, god only knows where the money is going to come from, Oh I remember now, VISA !!!
Anyway after your last suggestion I think I will spend abit of time pricing up the 3802, just to see how much extra it will be ..
Cheers again ....

Brad or anybody out there, could you recommend a 'high' end amp/receiver that is not going to break the bank, say approx. £350 .. Richer Sounds seem to be the cheapest and I have been pleased with their customer service in the past ..

Whatever you do, read through the e-mails on this forum and ask the guys on here everything. Especially people like Jase, Ian J, Uncle Eric and Nic Rhodes. These guys wealth of knowledge from the best budget upto the Tag Mclarens of the world will undoubtly steer you in the right direction.

PLEASE go through this forum and find comments from others and the above about any product. If you cant find, post a new query.

As for High-End for 350. Dont know if thats possible old bean.........my Denons a 3802 and its classed as middle range and cost £850 when it first came out.........

Dont worry, there are good amps out the for £350. Just not sure what ones...................

Hi

If you can increase your budget then you can start moving up the ranges for the better models like the Denon 2802 (around 480/500 quid) has almost everything the 3802 has but only six channels of amplification. Other amps to look at are those from Marantz, the newer SR 4300, 5300, 6300 range is due fairly soon and should start around 350 quid for the 4300. Also consider the Sony 1080 at around 450 (maybe less) a couple of members now have this unit.

Yamaha is another worth looking at, models such as the RXV 530,630,730 etc again starting at around 350 quid.

Another amp which doesn´t get much mention is the Kenwood KRFX 9060D, jammed packed with loads of features, THX Select approved, has all the latest formats etc for around 400 quid. Worth a listen anyway.

Another option would be to buy 2nd hand, some of the older flagship models can be bought quite cheaply such as the Yamaha DSPA1, DSP A2, Denon A10SE, prices start from as little as 250 for the Yamaha DSP A2 thru 400 for the A1 to around 500 for the Denon. Just bear in mind they do not have Pro-Logic 2 or later formats such as DTS ES Discrete, the Denon has THX Surround EX but is only a five channel amp, you´ll need the extra 2 channel power amp if you want ES/EX capability.

Hope this helps.:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom