1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 1600 SDI

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jeff, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I received my Denon 1600 SDI modded DVD player today. It connects up to my PC though a SDI Silk PCI capture card and I use DScaler 4.0. For comparison I run CIneplayer 4 filters through ZPlayer which is regarded by many to provide the best PQ out of all the software players. My expectations for the Denon where quite low, I reconed it would be about the same as my current setup but from a standalone player. Boy was I wrong, PQ is simply fantastic, its a huge improvement over software players. The colours are awesome, just like a heavy layer of dust had been removed from the screen. The only slight issue I have at the moment is that playback isn't quite as supersmooth as I would like, but I haven't done much tweaking yet. Big thumbs up so far. :D

Jeff

2. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeff,

I'm not well up on SDI but believe its some kind of digital interface ? Who does this mod and can they provide DVI instead of SDI ?

That way it could just plug directly into a projector, fully digital pathway, low box count, nice !!

Allan

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Yes SDI is a digital interface that has been around for many years and is primarily used in broadcasting. One of the reasons why SDI modifications to DVD players is starting to become fairly popular is that as well as providing the best picture quality, the mod is also relatively easy to perform on certain models. DVI would be nice but is a totally different beast and would be very difficult to do. I got my Denon from Spatz in Germany for 1540 euros incl delivery and taxes. This is expensive for a regular player but a good price for a SDI player.

I have managed to fix the odd stutter that I was getting, its now as smooth as a babies bottom. No more software players for me. Can't wait to try this out on a 1209s. :)

4. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Jeff,

Nice to hear you've got your Denon back and are pleased. I recieved my PSM-1 modded 1600 last week. After spending a bit of time re setting the PJ, the results are fantasic. The quality of a PC from a stand alone player. Ideal for people like me. I'm running a res of 1024 x 768 into my 808g and its mightily impressive!

Cheers Rob.

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Rob,

How do you find the audio side of things? I'm quite impressed.

6. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeff,

Apart from the player I presume you need some sort of PCI card in the PC, how much are they? Is it a problem to get Dscaler working with the card?

Basically what is the total cost to get SDI DVD no including the basic PC?

As much as I like Theatre tek player, I quite like the idea of a decent stand alone and the audio benefits you're bound to get with it.

Can you get Digital satelite SDI'd too?

Cheers

Nick

7. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Hi Nick,

If memory serves me correct I paid $400 for the card (SDI Silk 100). It was a bit of a gamble at the time but I'm glad I bought it because they don't sell the cards to end users anymore. AVScience sell them as an option for their PCs for $500. If you email Dan Schmelzer dschmelzer@hotmail.com he might consider selling you one.

There are a couple of issues with the SDI DScaler but I'm sure that they will get solved. Switching between PAL and NTSC is one of these. I find that having a different dscaler.ini for each works best. The other issue I have is that luma peaking is hard coded on at startup. Some people like it but I don't like the edge enhancement effect it produces.This means that I have to manually change the setting after DScaler starts. Other than that it works like a dream, the playback really is silky smooth and for some reason the colours are way better than what you get with software players. Sound is also very good. My Terratec is a very good sound card and easily beat my old Sony 725D for quality. The Denon is even better, it might have the advantage that my receiver is also a Denon.

You can get a Sky box with SDI out, Function Technologies do them, not cheap mind you. The issue then is SDI switching since the SDI Silk card has only a single SDI input. I'm not sure how to solve that one.

Jeff

8. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jeff. It's not a cheap route but it's definately one to keep an eye on.

Have you read the article on the HCC web site about Gordon and Roland's involvement with Nick's projector. It was linked from the front page. There's a demo on there of SDI through a rock, and the extra detail you get, it certainly got me thinking.

I am alos considering DVHS D-Theatre, if I could get it at a non extortionate price, and software is readily availlable. 720p straight from source would certainly look impressive on a big CRT. Widescreen review reckon you'd be hard pressed to see the difference between the 28 mbps D-Theatre and the 300mbps studio master on anything less than a high end 9inch crt!

I'll have to consider all my options, but have the small matter of getting married first!

Cheers

Nick

9. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yes, I'm quite impressed too. I'm a bit disappointed though, as ITC (the company who modifies the player) added a coaxial output which I can't get to work. I may need to send it back to have it checked, although the optical works fine so I might not bother. Don't think I could live without it now! I don't think its quite up to the quality for CD playback as my last player, which was also a Sony 725. They sound a bit 'harsh', which I suppose is to be expected really, I must get a proper CD player at some point, but for DVD playback, superb. Much better than the PC.

Rob.

10. Charlie Whitehouse

Charlie Whitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm currently DVD playerless - sent back to the States this week to have an SDI output card fitted. Going to have to wait for 3-4 weeks before I can try this plugged into my new Rock+ with SDI. In the meantime, will have to make do with Laserdisk... The suspense is killing me..... :(

11. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Charlie,

I don't know what is worse, I have the SDI DVD player but I'm waiting on the projector. Hopefully we'll be both up and running in a few weeks time.

Jeff