denon 03 range

keyser

Standard Member
Reaction score
What is the improvement in the 03 range from denon over the 02 one. I just saw a 1803, and it said dolbyprologic 2 dolby ex.. that´s just normal dp2 and dd ?

Quick rundown of the differences.

1803 has 6 channels of amplification as against 5 for the 1802.
Newer 32 bit Processor in the 1803 with DTS ES Discrete & Matrix decoding as well as Dolby EX decoding.

Slight cosmetic changes as well.

Bizarrely the 1803 loses its pre-outs for the FL, FR & Centre channels, its only got a sub pre-out. But it does get Component Video inputs & outputs instead, as well as an extra optical input.

The 3803 will be the one to watch as that inherits some nifty bits from the A1SR. ;)

Originally posted by keyser
What´s Dolby EX decoding? Does my 3802 have it.. will there come out 3803 anytime soon?

Your 3802 does have EX decoding but it´s shown as 6.1 Surround on the display. It was to do with a licensing problem with Dolby which is now sorted.

The 3803 is due out early next year as far as I´m aware.

How does the 3803 improve on the 3802, do you know that? There is nothing that the 02 doesn´t have ... decodes everything and has plenty of power for me.

The 3803 gets the newer Super Sharc Processor, Burr Brown 24/192 DAC´s in Dual configuration for each channel, Pure Direct Mode (uses 4 DAC´s per channel for 2 channel music), AL24 processing, Video Conversion (converts S-Video to Component etc etc). Master Audio Delay (cures Lip Sync problems), DTS 96/24.

These are the main differences from the 3802.

Oh my.. too technical for me. What of this will improve DVD sound, and will the Master Audio Delay completely cure plasma lip sync problems?

Oh my.. too technical for me. What of this will improve DVD sound, and will the Master Audio Delay completely cure plasma lip sync problems?

The DAC´s should improve the sound, better processing will also help. The Master Audio Delay gives you adjustment from 0-200ms so will sort out any lip sync problems provided you connect via the amp.

"provided you connect via the amp", I just connect the audio to my amp, and video straight to the plasma. I can still fix the sync problems?

You´ll need to have the video connected through the amp as well for it to work.

Why is that?

I plan on connecting the DVD with SDI so I can´t loop it through the amp.

I´ll check on my Denon later to see if it will work without the video source connected to the amp. I´m pretty sure it didn´t work when I last tried.

Here´s more details of the 3803 (PDF File).

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/AVR38033v2.pdf

Jase

The pdf mentions component video conversion.

does this mean composite & s-video inputs can be output via component but remain composite & S-video quality?

OR does it some how improve/ upconvert the signal to proper component?

Mark

Originally posted by Jase
Quick rundown of the differences.

Bizarrely the 1803 loses its pre-outs for the FL, FR & Centre channels, its only got a sub pre-out. But it does get Component Video inputs & outputs instead, as well as an extra optical input.

<ignorant>
What does that mean "it loses its pre-outs" you can connect any front speakers to it? you cant connect any extras? or what? :)
</ignorant>

Originally posted by Phatboy
Jase

The pdf mentions component video conversion.

does this mean composite & s-video inputs can be output via component but remain composite & S-video quality?

OR does it some how improve/ upconvert the signal to proper component?

Mark

Quality remains as per original connection (s-video or composite) but the real benefit is the reduction in the number of connections to the display device.

For folks with plasmas or TV's with only one component input (normal I suggest) it will mean less spaghetti. Also frees up sockets for connection via RGB where available.

Now if Denon could introduce a receiver with SCARTS on the back and conversion of RGB to component then that would be nice.

If you don´t have a problem with the number of connections on you display device, then there is really no advantedge in connecting the video sources to you amp is there? It isn´t any better connecting everything to the amp rather than everything to the TV, actually you would just have to add the extra component(or something else) leads from the amp to the display.
And also you loose the auto channel and ratio switching that scart provides.

Any more info on the master audio delay, can that not be used to fix lip sync problems if you don´t loop the video signal through the amp?

Originally posted by DiabloRex
<ignorant>
What does that mean "it loses its pre-outs" you can connect any front speakers to it? you cant connect any extras? or what? :)
</ignorant>

AV receivers have pre outs so you can connect additional power amplifiers to the receiver to get better and louder sounds out of your speakers.

keyser

I was wrong, the Master Audio Delay will work without having the video running through the amp but you need to access the Onscreen Menu to adjust it. It´s much easier with the video running through the amp as you can see what effect the adjustments have, otherwise you have to keep changing channels back & forth.

Originally posted by DiabloRex
<ignorant>
</ignorant>

The Pre-Outs are for connecting to external power amps so you can beef up the system. The Denon 1803 only has a Sub Pre-Out and has lost its Front Left, Right & Centre Pre-Outs that were on the 1802.

Originally posted by gringottsdirect
Apart from Denon Link ( Second Edition ) update in latest AVC-A1SR s, any other changes to this model in pipeline ?

I´ve not heard of anymore updates to the A1SR.

I am about to buy 3802.

Any recommended sites/suppliers which combine good service and value for money prices.

TIA, Brian.

Originally posted by Brian Hussey
Any recommended sites/suppliers which combine good service and value for money prices.

There are a few about but the only one that I´ve used is www.leconcepts.com I bought a dvd player from them & got it the following day (in the UK).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom