1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dennon AVCA10SE

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dvdmods, Jun 2, 2001.

1. dvdmods

dvdmods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody know if i cant turn up the input on the dvd input of this amp.
    When i play a DVD of any kind its not as loud as any of the other inputs like the VCR,Ondigital and Tuner.
    I have to have the volume right up to like -5,where on my old Yamaha amp the dvd was louder than any of the other inputs.
    So on full steam there its loud but nowhere near the sort of power it should be,but this is only on the DVD,i have tried optical and coaxal cables.
    Many Thanks
    Rob

2. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Rob,
    I to have a A10SE and I find no problems with the imput to DVD on the contary my
    missus always says its to loud ,it must be
    either the way you have it set up or the output from the DVD , sorry I cant be more help,try speaker configurations in the on screen menu.
    Jim

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It is normal that DVDs do not sound as loud as CD (or tuner etc) since movie soundtracks have a very high dynamic range (from whispering to loud explosions).
    Unless you amp has adjustable inputs for each source there is nothing you can do about it, surely changing the cables will not help here.
    However check the DVD players menu, look for volume control settings or something called dynamic range / night mode.
    Should be set to MAX or the latter to OFF.

4. dvdmods

dvdmods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info,i guess im just not used to it,i used to have a Yamaha DSP3090 and as soon as you put a DVD on the volume had to come down as that input was way above the rest,but i have changed my DVD player too.
    Have you guys spent the extra £400 an the power amp ?
    If so is it much better to have the rear centre ?
    Many Thanks
    Rob

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i too had trouble with this DENON amp which i bought in jan 2001.it has been replaced twice already. contact denon they will assist you all they can u will need to find who distributes for denon i forgot who it was

oopps its haden labs

6. peopleIknow

peopleIknow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dvdmods I too upgrade from the yammy 3090 and found that despite it having a 'claimed' higher output I had to turn the volume dial much further to get the same perceived loudness, I usually have it set at -10. p.s I did not bother purchasing the separate power amp, instead I use my 3090 to power the rear surrounds, and yes it is worth installing them.

RICKYS THX, I have noted some bleed from other input's into the one selected, (but only low level and only when not actually playing anything through the selected input), what were the problem you encounter with your amp ?

7. dvdmods

dvdmods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for the info,i also have it at about -10,if i forget to turn it down and somebody puts the old ondigital on you get a bit of a blast,so why isnt the DVD this loud do you think ?
    So on a DVD you can go right the way up and its loud,but not like the 100+ watts of power you should think will be there.
    Many Thanks
    Rob

8. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Rob ,
    Just checked my settings watching Gladiator
    in DTS format Main volume at-10 is pretty
    loud in my room 25x15 approx I am using
    Kef 55s front ,Kef 95c centre & Mission 77ds
    as surrounds they fill the room withsound I think it must be the output from your DVD player I am using a Tosh 3109.
    Hope this is of use to you .
    Jim

:confused: