Question Dennon 550BT volume level?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Adz1981, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Adz1981

Adz1981
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I have a Denon 550BT AMP with Pioneer S-11 bookshelf speakers that I used to run with my old Pioneer VSX-321 before that broke.

My concern is that with the new Denon amp, I have to have the volume set to around 65-70 for it to be a decent level to watch a film (not too loud but loud enough) - where as before on the Pioneer it would be a lot lower volume on the amp to achieve the same level of sound. I am using Sky Q HDMI into the AMP, then AMP out to my TV (ARC is off).

Does this seem right, or should I send it back?

Thanks.

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,662
    The absolute scale you are using doesn't relate to anything so cannot be quatified against your other receiver. Go into the VOLUME configurations and change the master volume scale to the –79.5 dB to 18.0 dB option. This makes it easier to determine what your are actually hearing because the scale relates to the 75db reference to which the AV receiver calibrated itself in association with. Most people happily listen at about - 20db and maybe a little higher when watching movies.

No, you cannot get louder audio at lower volumes. That is non sensical and a contradiction in terms. Your Pioneer's absolute volume scale and the Denon's absolute volume scale are not comparable and do not relate to one another.

Maybe read this which tries to explain what the relative volume scale I've suggested you use is:
    THX reference level explained - Acoustic Frontiers

and this which explains how the relative reference scale differs to the absolute scale you were previously using:
    What’s the Difference Between Relative and Absolute Volume?

Post calibration, the receiver's test tone will result in an SPL reading of about 75db if measured from your primary listening position while the master volume is set to 0db reference. The primary listening position is defoned by where you place the mic during the calibration.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  3. Adz1981

Adz1981
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dante - I set the source volume to be +12 which has made the volume bar look more in line with what you would expect (not turning it up to the high end of the bar to get a good volume). I also switched to DB as you said and I am happy with the sound around the 20DB mark so I would say the amp is fine and just needs some better tweaking here and there!

Thanks again.

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,662
    Have you used the mic to calibrate the receiver?

+12db is louder than you'd experience in a movie theatre and potentially loud enough to damage your hearing.

AS said, most people are happy to listen at -20db (minus 20db). 0db equates to what you'd get in a cenema.

5. Adz1981

Adz1981
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did calibrate it with the mic but that resulted in the below par sound.

The source level is set to +8db not 12. Does that mean it just adds that much more volume to that particular source (Sky Q) from the default lowest?

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,662
    Calibrate the receiver using the mic. =8db master volume is excessive if the receiver is indeed calibrated correctly????