Dennon 1912?

00Paul00

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my 2001 pioneer all in one 5.1 system. I have a budget of £400ish. I would ideally like to also purchase a new centre speaker but leave the other surrounds as they are for the time being. Maybe to update in a year or so.

Im liking the look of the Denon 1912 and it fits the bill in terms of connections, price, iPhone app control, and hdmi audio return. So if I buy this model I could also buy something like a q acoustics 2010i centre speaker.

My questions are;

Would Changing just the centre speaker and avr be a wise choice or should I look to try and change all the speakers at the same time?

I could replace the avr now and see how it performs with my current pioneer speakers and then change the speakers if necessary. I basically want a decent improvement for watching movies without the expense of changing all the speakers.
Thoughts? Cheers

Last edited:
The first question to ask is what impedance are the speakers. Most all in one speakers have low impedance and hence not able to be used with an AV receiver. If the speakers are below 4 ohms then I would not use them as they could damage the receiver. Also is your sub active or passive (active has its own in built amp). If it is passive then it again can not be used with an AV receiver so you would need to buy an active one.
You really want the front 3 speakers to be the same make/model to give the best sound hence I would not just change the centre.

PSM1 speaketh the truth. If you need to replace everything I would look at something like an Onkyo 309 with a tannoy 5.1 set and then you can take it from there.

PSM1 speaketh the truth. If you need to replace everything I would look at something like an Onkyo 309 with a tannoy 5.1 set and then you can take it from there.

I'd advise against this. If you purchase a base model amp and speakers then you'll need to replace everything in order to upgrade what you have in the future. There are some particularly good deals on higher grade amps right now and you should take the opportunity to take advantage of such deals. Spend £250 - 300 on the amp and you'll have a far better amp than the Onkyo TXSR309, both in terms of features and audio quality.

Thanks everyone. The speakers I already have are 8ohms and 40w. It is an active subwoofer as well but I don't think I will be able to use it with a new avr as it seems to have a unique connection.

I think I will upgrade to an avr for £200-300 and see how my current speakers perform. I don't play movies LOUD anyway as the kids are usually in bed.

If I do then want to change the speakers (who am I kidding, it's innevitable!) maybe the Boston acoustics soundware xs??

These would be in my price range and would nicely replace the small satellites I already have mounted on the walls.

If I do then want to change the speakers (who am I kidding, it's innevitable!) maybe the Boston acoustics soundware xs??

These would be in my price range and would nicely replace the small satellites I already have mounted on the walls.

Consider the JBL Cinema 300 package rather than the Boston Acoustics Soudware speakers. I consider them to be a better option and Richer Sounds are currently selling them for just £200:

JBL CINEMA 300 Black | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds

I'd advise against this. If you purchase a base model amp and speakers then you'll need to replace everything in order to upgrade what you have in the future. There are some particularly good deals on higher grade amps right now and you should take the opportunity to take advantage of such deals. Spend £250 - 300 on the amp and you'll have a far better amp than the Onkyo TXSR309, both in terms of features and audio quality.

Not necessarily. I did this 2 years ago and have been upgrading bit-by-bit and I've never thought that it was pointless. Firstly I upgraded the fronts to Diamond 9.1 which made a great difference for music, then the sub to a Powercube SPC-10, then a center, then a Denon AVR-1912. Obviously if I'd had the money at the time I'd have bought what I have now back then (or better) but I didn't and upgraded when I could afford.

Anyway it's each to their own. I'm not here to tell them what to do, and you give out some great advice on here so at least the OP knows of two options.:smashin:

Not necessarily. I did this 2 years ago and have been upgrading bit-by-bit and I've never thought that it was pointless. Firstly I upgraded the fronts to Diamond 9.1 which made a great difference for music, then the sub to a Powercube SPC-10, then a center, then a Denon AVR-1912. Obviously if I'd had the money at the time I'd have bought what I have now back then (or better) but I didn't and upgraded when I could afford.

Anyway it's each to their own. I'm not here to tell them what to do, and you give out some great advice on here so at least the OP knows of two options.:smashin:

Sorry, upgrading bit by bit? I think you mean that you wasted the money you initially spent and had to buy something to replace it? You could have put that money together with the cash you later spent and you could have bought better than what you've ended up with.

Spending more money on better speakers isn't an upgrade if the amp isn't up to powering better speakers. You end up having speakers that are beyond the amp and then having to replace the amp in order to do the speakers justice. Similarly, if you partner an amp with speakers not befitting its abilities then you've wasted your money. One good constituent part isn't any good without the other being of equal quality. An £150 amp still sounds like an £150 amp even if you use it to power £5000 speakers. And why buy a base model amp when there's currently such good deals on amps that originlly cost £500?

What you are suggesting is that the OP spend his money on something he'll need to replace in the short term.

It makes more sense to initially buy at least one item that will not need to be replaced in order to upgrade and I'd suggest the amp rather than the speakers be the best item to build upon. If you initially buy both cheaply then you must replace both and cannot build upon either.

Last edited:
Lol, wow.

You might think I've wasted my money, but I had 18 months of enjoying things like Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master whereas if I'd have waited until I had the money I had now I'd have had 18 months of enjoying TV speakers. Plus, not everyone has £500 straight away as we're not all high rollers.

Then again, why spend £500 because you'll "only" get £500 worth of sound, I'd save and wait until you have £5000! I'm assuming you've never upgraded anything in your system as it would have just been a waste of money.

I'm assuming you've never upgraded anything in your system as it would have just been a waste of money.

I buy things that last and that generally don't need to be replaced within 18 months. I can't afford to waste what money I get.

I understand that. Nothing ever needed upgraded, I upgraded because I has some cash that I had saved up and rather than **** it up the wall I felt like small upgrades to my system would be great for me. I could have happily stayed with my original system and enjoyed movies and music, but not quite as much as I enjoy them now. I'm pretty sure that there's a number of people who made their first upgrade within 18 months of buying their first AV system. If I'm an anomaly then I'll hold my hands up and say I'm wrong.

Anyway, this is going way off topic. OP - You have many choices as have been explained, do what you think is best and take it from there, if £400 is your maximum budget have a look at a ratio of £200:£200 for AVR and speakers and see what you think.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom