Den Automation

When there are other decent protocols out there, I really struggle to get my head around why they went with their own proprietary system. It's something I wouldn't dare buy in to...if they go bust you're a bit shafted.

Lightwave is a bit of a Marmite product. People either really like it, or really don’t. I really don’t but I can’t give you a proper reason why other than it has never worked for me properly.

I never got in to Lightwave as it used to be only one way communication? In that switches never fed information back to a hub about whether they were on on or off. That was a no go for mer at the time although I think that's changed now.

Just been reading through this thread. Only just started looking into this product

I am interested in this product if;

they have a 2g and 3g light switch
they have a local API

Zwave is great and I have quite a lot but if you have a 3g switch you need 3 x relays so not exactly cheap. and the room required is very deep backbox even a 2g lightswitch with 2 relays, the relays alone are going to need 24-26mm... on a single 47mm backbox you will need to recess it to get the relays, wires and standard switch. That's a heck of a hole.

Also with LED bulbs, you might need a bypass if there is not enough load.

Zwave relays are limited without neutral.

No Socket options. Yes you can buy Zwave plugs and I have around 15 from dimmers to switches but they don't look attractive and stick out quite a way.

I would have gone for LightwaveRF Gen2 now it has an API but it is cloud - so NO

I don't think after buying Hue / Zwave etc there prices are out of wack...

Some of what you say is correct but there are more options for the modules and depending on your wiring you may be able to put the module in the ceiling and not behind the switch. Also if its just switching and not dimming and you have a neutral at the switch you can use the dual relay therefore 1 module will do 2 switches.

That's the issue though... Most UK homes don't have neutral at the switch...I wish mine did :-( as the options are endless.

or as you said I would use something like the Fibaro 223 or one of the Qubino's like I use in my extractor fans.

I have too many spots so celling wiring is out...

I would much rather use Zwave than anything else.. but it is very limited in the UK compared to the US

For lightswitches in the UK without neutral, there really are only 2 or three options

Lightwave was one I was seriously considering... but the above options make it a no go...

This to me looks like the best bet but looks like its 2g, 3g and an API away from being useful. Shame getDan did not do their homework first... Open API should have been the first thing... lets face it the mass sale of this is going to be people who have an interest in home automation and they tend to be a little geeky

Hi Can anyone tell me what has happened to getden automation help? i have an issue with a sensor and am struggling to get help from anywhere

Regards Michael

I think that they have ceased trading. Their help desk support contract no longer exists with the third party help desk. Looking at their 2018 Companies House filings it appears that they significantly restructured in 2018 and their cash flow looks shaky. I would be surprised if you get any response from them.

And there you have it :(

And there you have it :(

Was there every any doubt?

Saturated market with not one but a boatload of 800lb Gorillas already in there trying to get traction for a proprietary solution that doesn't have an API to allow you to integrate it with anything else? The idea was cool but it wasn't SO cool as to be industry disruptive and allow you to push your proprietary agenda.

They'd have been a million times better off using a known protocol and launching with some kind of API. In fact had they used z-wave and built an API I'd have definitely bought them as the idea was good enough to drive my adoption. Absolutely no way am I buying into any proprietary non-api'd solution though. It's already hard enough to try and integrate all this stuff as it is...

G

Clearly there was doubt as plenty of people bought in to it.

I was going to buy this but after I asked them some questions and got vague replies on their Facebook page I gave up.

Bought some Shelly 1’s for the light switches instead. Work really well and are cheap.

I think that they have ceased trading. Their help desk support contract no longer exists with the third party help desk. Looking at their 2018 Companies House filings it appears that they significantly restructured in 2018 and their cash flow looks shaky. I would be surprised if you get any response from them.

They officially launched their new products in February this year. Still active on CH but there have been no social media posts since June.

Someone on their Facebook page replied to my comment earlier saying their £700 worth of switches and sockets no longer work via their system though. I assume they still work as regular devices but no long smart. Which was what my comment raised as a concern.

They seem pretty pointless to me if you can't dim the lights, may as well go for Lightwave or Hue

Wow, I dodged a bullet there. I have kitted my house out almost entirely with Lightwave and it’s pretty amazing to be honest. Almost went for a Den system, but something just didn’t seem right to me.

Wow, I dodged a bullet there. I have kitted my house out almost entirely with Lightwave and it’s pretty amazing to be honest. Almost went for a Den system, but something just didn’t seem right to me.

Is that Lightwave version 2?

If you mean the Smart series, rather than the older Connect series, then yes.

That’s good to hear. I was tempted by their earlier stuff but after reading all the horror stories I gave it a miss. I may revisit.

I did not like their older stuff and had some horror shows with it. They have come on a long way since.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom