Demystifying Video Formats

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by m4rtyboy, Feb 16, 2014.

1. m4rtyboy

m4rtyboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I am trying to demystify movie formats and try not to create hours of work for myself.

I have hundreds of movies in a TS format using Any DVD as I wanted to retain full quality and
    I now want to look at streaming my content to other TVs in the house with some kind of attached media streamers, maybe a WD TV Live.

My moves are stored on a HTPC downstairs and I use My Movies. I dont care about having the same fancy user interface but just want to be able to watch them without stutter.

I have just started to read about MKV and have used Make MKV to transfer a few of my TS into MKV. Having a consistent format to be able to use across multiple devices would also be useful so is MP4 better as this could be used for tablets etc.

One issue I have come up with MKV is that I have a cheap Chinese media player attached to my daughters TV upstairs and when I transfer a file to MKV and copy this to the SD card it wont play. I know its not the device as it wont play from the SD card from any device. However if I transfer to a separate hard drive, I am using a Western Digital and attach it to this cheap player it does work. So in essence it wont play from the SD card from any device, strange!!

So I was looking to get a WD TV live and see if that will connect to my PC network and play my current TS content as it does say that TS is a supported format.

So where should I go from here? Am I better off transferring all these TS to one of these other formats? Or just leave it be?

I also used Make MKV to transfer a Blu Ray and was really surprised that this worked as I thought it would have had some kind of encryption (whilst I have Any DVD, I dont have Any DVD HD for Blu Rays). The resulting file was 30GB which I then encoded with Handbrake and got it down to 10GB. Do I lose much quality doing this, I certainly could not tell too much. With all these questions I dont really want to lose too much quality.

There is so much conflicting advice but would like to hear thoughts

thanks

2. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    MKV and TS are just containers, they contain the same audio/video. You're just outputting to a different container. I have an Oppo BDP-93 and that doesn't support HD audio in an MKV container.

What you do depends on your ultimate aim really.

I don't see why you'd buy a Blu-Ray then compress it and use that to watch, surely the whole point is the quality and by recompressing you're just lowering it. Whether or not you can see if a different matter.

So for me:

- DVDs, always mkv
    - Blu-Rays with no HD audio, always mkv
    - Blu-Rays with HD audio, always m2ts.

3. m4rtyboy

m4rtyboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how do i know if a blu ray has HD audio and by this do you mean 5.1

thanks

4. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,829
    HD audio- ie TrueHD, DTS-MA, PCM (in early Blu-rays).
    Just look on the back of the box to see what audio is on the Blu-ray.