1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Demonstration of DLP TVs in Inverness area

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Tarbat, May 23, 2005.

1. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Can anyone recommend a retailer in the Inverness area who can demonstrate HDTV on a DLP RPTV? Looking to do a side-by-side comparison with plasmas as well.

2. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Finally tracked down a Sagem 45" at Comet today, but I was very dissapointed with the display quality. Compared with the plasmas on display, the Sagem's display was washed out, loads of dot-crawl and ghosting, and interference around text. The plasmas by comparison looked crisp and bright. I'm now having serious doubts about DLP RPTVs, are they really any good, or just a poor alternative to plasma? There must be someone in the Inverness area that can demo DLP RPTV at it's best before I write-off this technology.

3. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have just seen a Sagem running hi-def and even though the set is not to my taste the quality of the picture was excellent,i had just come from viewing a panasonic pv500 plasma also running hi-def and in my personal opinion the sagem was much better,even my wife noticed the difference,the sagem was running hi-def via vga and the panasonic via component,but as always is suggested here,take your own dvd player with a few favorite dvd's and sit there for an hour viewing don't forget the sagem is probably sharing the same feed as many other tv's and will be using very basic cables and also probably has been messed around with by anyone who can get their hands on the remote so take some time before deciding,from what i read in many posts if you don't suffer from "rainbows" DPL offers better resolution,picture quality etc than most affordable plasma's,and of course if your spending 1500-2000 on a telly maybe its worth travelling further afield to see a dlp running hi-def...you wont be disappointed lol

sheep

4. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Yes, planning on spending up to £2500, so the Sagem's really interest me (incl the new 56" one), but I'm very reluctant to start driving of to other towns/cities (e.g. Glasgow - 11 hours) without knowing if there's a decent AV store there that can demonstrate DLP at it's best. I really want to like DLP, but so far the only demonstrators I've seen have been a VERY BIG dissapointment compared with the plasmas on display. The Comet store also had a Toshiba and LG DLP set (no model numbers or prices unfortunately), both of which seemed to have a very washed out picture. Think these were old models though - all the DLPs were covered in dust and tucked away at the back of the store, well away from all the nice shiny plasmas.

The Comet salesman was hopeless. Kept on calling the Sagem a DPL, and when I asked how long the bulb would last, his reply was "how long is a piece of string".

The wife definately wants a plasma now, she's not convinced by me saying that DLP should be better. She's worried about how long the bulb will last, and wasn't happy with the "how long is a piece of string" reply from the salesman. She now imagines the bulb will last as long as a normal light bulb (i.e. 6 - 12 months), and I now face a real uphill battle to convince her that DLP is even worth looking at.

5. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    i would suggest finding some av shops on the net or yellow pages,ring them and explain what you want to do,im sure they will be more than happy to spend some time with you and as to the lamp life issue that has been around the block a few times i think the general consensus is that by the time your lamp fails they will be pretty cheap to replace anyway so dont worry about it to much as most tv's are bought with a long warranty and as long as the warranty covers the bulb...well your covered :)

6. Orchard Rebel

Orchard Rebel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cjgpers

I was in John Lewis in Edinburgh a couple of weeks back and they were running the Sagem HD-D45 in High Def from a media PC. They had a Samsung SP50 on display too. Might be worth giving them a ring to check first though before setting off down the A9!