Demons Souls

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
Royalty is a good starting class, as has been said, but try and pick up the Crescent Falchion from near the start of area 4-1 (Island's Edge) as soon as you can. It's an excellent early sword that will see you well for a good proportion of the game if you start upgrading it. You don't have to fight the red eyed enemy guarding it, who is tough early on, but you can run and roll past it, grab the sword and drop off the hill side. He won't drop down after you. You'll be back at the start of the level then.

One time he did fall off the hillside and chase me, one of the scariest moments ever as I was still a weakish mage. I just pegged it back to the archstone and Nexus :)

metalpaul1000

Thanks for the response guys. Defo not for me. I have now put it in the classifieds

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the response guys. Defo not for me. I have now put it in the classifieds

Did you give it long? It does take a few hours to get to grips with it but being Royalty means you can use magic from a distance which really helps at the beginning. Basically once you have done world 1-1 and defeated the boss you can level up so levels 1-2 and 2-1 can help get your soul levels up to make you a lot stronger.

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
I used to think this game was way beyond me.
I watched plenty of YouTube videos on how to get started and even saw a few bosses getting wiped out. It didn't spoil the game, but instead it really helped me.
I'm so glad I persevered as it's definitely in my top ten of greatest games I've ever played in the last 40 years.
I think you've given up too easily to be truthful, I'm not the world's greatest gamer by any stretch. It's not that bad, one of my other faves, the binding of Isaac is way harder than this.

FevreDream

That’s a shame, it really is a hugely rewarding experience if you stick at it. Your choice though.

metalpaul1000

That’s a shame, it really is a hugely rewarding experience if you stick at it. Your choice though.

a younger me would have. With 3 kids under 6 I need to find games that grab me and I can see myself wanting to play. Unfortunately this one is not that for me. I wanted to love it but couldn’t.

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
FYI DS3 is back in the PSN sale @ £11 or so. Going to grab a copy I think

In fact I think they are all in the sale

FevreDream

The DS3 Deluxe Edition, which includes the season pass, is an absolute steal at £13.74. The usual price of the season pass alone is £19.99!

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
The DS3 Deluxe Edition, which includes the season pass, is an absolute steal at £13.74. The usual price of the season pass alone is £19.99!

Didn’t see that so just got the basic one. I never play DLC anyway as I’ve usually had enough of a game once finished :)

kingkarl

Distinguished Member

Is this any good pal after being spoilt by DS on the PS5 ?

Lancia34

Distinguished Member

Not downloaded yet but after seeing some videos it looks good but nowhere near Demons levels obviously.

FevreDream

So been playing Nioh for nearly a week now and it's good but tough. A couple of bosses in the opening levels (Hino-Enma and Nue) are incredibly hard for so early in the game, and wouldn't be out of place as end game bosses in many games, they both took many, many tries to beat. It took me a while to get into it actually after getting into the much slower rhythm of the Souls games recently, and it has some very complicated control and game systems. I still haven't got my head around a lot of it tbh. I can see it can be a very rewarding game though when it all clicks, and the combat can be exhilarating when you get the hang of it.

Last edited:

FevreDream

DS3 doesn't have the next gen wow factor of Demon's Souls but it still looks very good. There are some wonderful vistas to take in. Gameplay wise it's as good, arguably better.

echoUK

Think I may add DS3 Ultimate Edition to my pile of shame whilst it’s on sale. I have DS3 on disk somewhere but for that price with all the DLC it’ll be rude not to. I’m determined to complete one of these games some day! As much as I enjoy them, I often begin to struggle with the bosses after a certain point. I don’t know if I’m under levelled and need to farm the same areas a bit more to level up or if I just need to “get good”, lol. I might have to start using the summon/co-op feature in these games just so I can actually progress and finish one. Reluctant to use them in the past because I was determined to beat them myself, but I might just have to hold my hands up and admit I’m not good enough and use help. :D

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
Well I started DS3 as a knight as recommended on the wiki and was all fine and dandy until that first big dude...wow he destroyed me! :rotfl:
I miss my royalty and spells hahaha

Jacko007

Leave him for the time being. Go into world 2-1 and work through that. You don’t need to do the levels in order.

Oh god I think I’ve ballsed it up after spending about 2 weeks on 2-1 and 3-1 plus mining 1-1 for souls, levelling up to lvl 20 I decided I could take on the easy boss in 3-1. So went into human form, nobody available to summon and in I went, die, rinse and repeat a few times until finally have managed to turn the world black and now have a red demon mind flayer thing that I can’t get past to even get to the bloody boss. Had enough now to be honest. Can’t kill any bosses other than the first one.

Craig UTO

Oh god I think I’ve ballsed it up after spending about 2 weeks on 2-1 and 3-1 plus mining 1-1 for souls, levelling up to lvl 20 I decided I could take on the easy boss in 3-1. So went into human form, nobody available to summon and in I went, die, rinse and repeat a few times until finally have managed to turn the world black and now have a red demon mind flayer thing that I can’t get past to even get to the bloody boss. Had enough now to be honest. Can’t kill any bosses other than the first one.

They're tough and hit hard, so not being able to kill it at a low level isn't surprising. Don't be disheartened.

Abandon it for now, or if you're on Reddit, ask for help on /r/SummonSign. They'll be able to help you with the boss, or improve your World Tendency by boosting invasion kills.

Failing that, I would personally either try to tackle 2-1 or 4-1. If you can get past the first few enemies in 4-1, and do the skip (search YouTube) to reach the boss, it's actually a very short and easy level. The boss is simple - all you have to do is hug the fog gate, shoot him with magic or a bow, and avoid his tongue attacks. You know they're coming because the yellow bird on his head makes a loud noise. You can always replay the level properly at a later time to collect items, an NPC and to fully experience the game if you want to.

Once you've beaten 4-1, you then have access to a very good early game farming location and a vender that sells some very useful items.

Early investment, in terms of soul and item farming, makes it a much easier experience; I spent a considerable amount of time grinding and still got the platinum trophy in under 30 hours, so I'd definitely say, while dull, it's a worthwhile time investment.

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
... still got the platinum trophy in under 30 hours...
Haha! I was 3 times that :) I do get very distracted, but 30 hour plat is some going!

Lurking Lawyer

Distinguished Member
Just managed to order a PS5 - and it's pretty much just to play this. It got me hooked on Souls. I swore I wouldn't do the same again after buying a PS4 to play Bloodborne and then barely using it, but here I am.... :confused:

Does the remaster extend to addressing the ways you could cheese certain bosses in the original? Or have they been left in?

Lancia34

Distinguished Member
Just managed to order a PS5 - and it's pretty much just to play this. It got me hooked on Souls. I swore I wouldn't do the same again after buying a PS4 to play Bloodborne and then barely using it, but here I am.... :confused:

Does the remaster extend to addressing the ways you could cheese certain bosses in the original? Or have they been left in?

I never played the original but from playing it and what I've read it's pretty much a faithful remake so all the easy boss tactics still work

Enjoy the sites and sounds though - it is stunning to look at and play

Robothamster

Distinguished Member

No, all the same boss fighting methods (inc cheese) are intact. Playing at 60fps is the main thing that makes it easier than the original though. And it looks sublime too.

I sold my copy, but I miss it now :laugh:

silvercue

Distinguished Member

I think they have remained mostly faithful, but have made some sensible changes. It is a fabulous experience, but to be honest, unlike Dark Souls, the bosses are the easiest part of the game IMO, especially later in the game, so really don't need cheeses.

Lurking Lawyer

Distinguished Member
It will be interesting to give it a go with summoning.

Even when I first picked it not long after release, while it was still something of a "sleeper", I found very few people playing it to co-op with. By the time I came back to it a couple of years back, the servers had been switched off so it was very much a solo experience.

Umbasa!

Wattsy 75

Well took the plunge and picked this up... never played a souls game before.

spent most evening’s this week doing playing as a royal

started again last night as a Templar knight and managed to do first boss😁

think I’ll retire now😂

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Music revenue in U.S. sees vinyl sales overtake CD