Demon's Souls - Preview/Play & Help Thread

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Widge, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Widge

Widge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2009
  2. Widge

Widge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Demon's Souls Looks Incredible in First Screenshots

In this week's issue of Weekly Famitsu magazine, Sony Computer Entertainment made the first announcement of Demon's Souls, a new "dark fantasy" action RPG under development by Armored Core makers From Software. The game, which will be playable at the Tokyo Game Show next week, is due out for the PlayStation 3 next year in Japan.
    While details are still scant on Demon's Soul, SCE Japan producer Takeshi Kajii described the game to Famitsu as a spiritual successor to King's Field, the From-developed first-person RPG that first hit it big on the original PlayStation. "I am a fan of From Software, but naturally that also means there are parts of their games I'm not satisfied with, too," he said. "If this was a new King's Field game, there would be areas we wouldn't be able to touch since they're part of the series; working together like this, we can try to make something really new."

Demon's Souls takes place in the kingdom of Boletaria, currently enshrouded in a deep fog thanks to its king inadvertently unleashing an ancient monster from his slumber. You, a nameless hero who you're free to customize Elder Scrolls-style, must penetrate into Boletaria and save the kingdom -- but like many US RPGs these days, the game is slated to be extremely open-ended. "You get only the barest minimum of a goal, and there's nothing forcing you to do anything in the game," Kajii said. "People say to you 'Save the world,' but you can ignore them and keep going if you like."

The way Kajii and From Software director Hidetaka Miyazaki described it, Demon's Souls is a bit of a hybrid -- an RPG that uses the PS3's hardware to the hilt while still retaining the challenge and exploration of traditional role-players. Your hero can use a wide variety of weapons, each of which has different attacks and animations depending on how skillful you are or whether you're using one hand or two, and the game's physics system places natural limits on what's possible in any given tactical situation. "We gave a lot of thought to how to make the fun and charms of a classic RPG interesting all over again with the latest technology at hand," Miyazaki noted. "We figured that doing the things that previous hardware ignored -- having long weapons bump into walls, lighting the area in realtime with the torch in your hand -- would make the game that much more fun. We're taking the things you did through menus in Wizardry and letting you carry them out in real life." (Miyazaki also hinted that while Demon's Souls won't have multiplayer, he would still like to "find a way to use the Internet to make the single-player mode more interesting.")

"Soul Direction"
    The actions of all logged-on players affect the gameworld. Absolutely no explanation about how this system works. Depending on the actions of all the players, the monster population, items type and distribution, strength of phantoms, etc. will change in different areas. An inaccessible area may suddenly become accessible, with a ladder appearing, etc. (See screenshots on site).

Network Invasion - PVP!
    To start, no there is no info as to whether this can be 'switched off' if you login. Also no info how another player is selected, etc.... All it says is that if a player has a specific "black stone" special item and perishes, he can invade the gameworld of another player as a "black phantom". Win and he gets resurrected. Lose and he loses "soul level". The "black phantom" form will be of a higher level than the deceased player is currently at.

Famitsu gave it 29, while another magazine rated it higher. Although:

Why did Famitsu not like it as much? Too macho American for their tastes? This could be the first Atlus title that intrigues me.

All the Famitsu reviewers who rated it low said the game was too hard. Pretty typical for Famitsu.

- The game is not about levels, it's all about player skill. If you don't get good at the game, you likely won't be able to continue on to harder areas.

- Stamina system, as you swing your sword you lose stamina, you can't block or attack without stamina

- Even weak enemies in the beginning can easily kill you if you don't watch out.

- Parry button, as seen in the videos.

- Reviews mention that the game is 30 to 50 hours long depending your amount of exploration.

- Weapons have durability, you can break them.

- Armor weight determines your dodge roll distance.

Quick Famitsu review translations

Stage progression and battles are both very difficult, and it comes down to trial and error. In addition to all that, character development and item purchase both use the same thing (Souls) and there are no recover points in the middle of stages, so I came away with the impression that the game is really strict. The online portion is unique and interesting in that you can see impressions left by strangers.

There are screens where you will die over and over, and it's the type of game where you advance through trial and error. As an RPG, the battles are numerous... BUT... as you progress in the game you start to realize the variety of enemy attacks and the bizarre stage design and the game becomes very deep. If you want to try a particularly deep RPG, then by all means try this!!

Extremely difficult. It has a certain fascination in that you have a feeling of accomplishment and want to keep trying just one more time. Saying that, you have to use "Souls" to both strengthen your character and purchase items. This is severe enough, but on top of that the game gives you no hints and the game is just too stoic...

A game where death equals nothing. It shows From Software's true worth. I felt like it was a game that offered no compromise nor concern, but if you fall to hell you can see a little bit of heaven. ... (the rest was too blurry for me to read)

Various bits pilfered from Eurogamer.

You do have to take Japanese reviews with a pinch of salt, their opinions of highly rated Western games are much lower than ours.... different market, different tastes.

3. Widge

Widge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
  4. Wamphyri

Wamphyri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    So is it first person then? If so, that would put me off.

5. Widge

Widge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Click the live stream, you can see someone playing it right now!

6. Widge

Widge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
  7. theblacksheep

theblacksheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    3rd person.

Theres is a video of this on the Japanese store, looks excellent.

8. Widge

Widge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Yup, 3rd person. And it has trophies!

9. Widge

Widge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I asked on EG if there was much of NPC interaction and a Japanese resident gave us this lowdown from his experience with the game:

"No, not really. Most of the game's story is implied, rather than delivered by NPCs and they usually function as parts of the game (you know, like shopkeepers). It's in keeping with the story's theme though, since most of the world is dead and in a post apocalyptic state. Be careful, because if you attack and kill them, to my knowledge there's no reviving them again.

This game is RAD! \o/

Exactly the kind of spiritual successor I wanted. Difficult, punishing, atmosphere, depressing and full of the freedom to explore and invent your own playstyle. In fact, it's considerably deeper than the older games.

The only disappointment is that it isn't quite as weird and rusted an environment as King's Field was and eases you into the game more than the old games did by giving you something of a tutorial to start, which I'm somewhat against in these types of games. But the tutorial is extremely brief and you only really have to do a very small amount required, the rest of the game is up to your decisions.

Better yet, King's Field developed your character much more on how you played, but Demon's Souls has a much deeper class system and the different stats really make a difference. So one character FEELS like they handle a weapon very differently or can try a strategy much more easily because they have higher luck, etc. (I tried out a couple before I was satisfied with a Wanderer.)

Also, the online elements of leaving notes and trails for your friends is awesome fun. I'm playing with two other guys, but we can't play at the same time, nevertheless it's great to mess around with them. Sometimes I leave them fake hints and make them freak out about something scary.

One time, I read my friend's note that just said "Down." I was like, "Down? What does he mean?" Then I heard a sound and I was like, "What was that?" Not long after that I was dead. :p

The combat is very tactical. King's Field's already was pretty deep, but it seems like From took everything learned from 3rd person action games after the last King's Field game and put some of it into application here. It feels like the tactical decisions of an SRPG mixed into an action RPG. You have to buy yourself time, think your way out of the situation and then consider a pattern of steps or set of actions that will do the trick. It's not good enough usually to just go with simple things like "Dodge this, attack here and heal when necessary."

Currently I would recommend this over White Knight Chronicles for people looking for a new PS3 RPG. The difficulty is not a factor if you're not a modern-coddled pussy. The sweaty tension and fear the game engenders a lot more games could do with."

10. hodgyboy

hodgyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
  11. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    From Software doesn't exactly have a great track record and judging by the previews by the Western gaming press it doesn't look very promising. I think I will reserve judgement until there has been more coverage in the Western gaming media and preferably I've had a chance to play it. The game does remind me of one their other franchises called King's Field which I was never a fan of.

12. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,188
    :eek: Armored Core, Frame Grid and Chromehounds are some of the best mecha ever made! Sure it's an acquired taste, and some individual games have been patchy, but i struggle to think of a dev that has done as much for mecha for so long; FASA (gone), Sandlot (fun, but low budget), SquareSoft (gone), CAPCOM (just Tekki).

Mostly their vision cant be achieved in the final product, so yes from that point their track record is arguably less than ideal, but i always look forwards to see what they push out next.

This sounds promising, and hopefully something to fill that gap now i've finished Valkyria Chronicles?

13. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I was referring more to their track record in action adventure/RPG style games but as I said I will reserve judgement until the the game is available in the west and hopefully I get a chance to play a demo. Their games have always been popular in Japan especially the mech games as well as the 3D action adventure/RPG style games but they have yet to produce a top class AAA game in the latter genre. We shall have to wait and see.

14. theblacksheep

theblacksheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
  15. MooMooCow

MooMooCow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Gotta say i love this game, had to purchase this game for £58 on ebay since no other place in stock

you get to choose 8 classes i think with gender you want, what irritates me is that you have to start the map again if you died also unlock secret depend if you are good or evil

you can play with other players as well to by summoning them as phantom (only 2 max) or be summoned.

This is actually the first game that i found interesting since the day i brought my ps3 when it was release in uk (im not good at fps ;p)

16. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    It's on back order at the moment but cheaper then Ebay here ...

YESASIA: Demon's Souls (Asian Version) - Sony Computer Entertainment, Sony Computer Entertainment - PlayStation 3 (PS3) Games - Free Shipping

17. DPT1976

DPT1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
  18. sparced

sparced

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    I've feel a few people playing this on my friends list. Looks interesting.

Still need to pick up Valkyria Chronicles before considering a £40+ purchase.

19. Wamphyri

Wamphyri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    Got this arriving soon, i'll post my thoughts sometime in the week.

20. theblacksheep

theblacksheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Any more comments on this game?

Got some good reviews and looks tempting.

21. Widge

Widge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    SCEA had a press day for people over 'there' just today/yesterday where they presented various games. According to Kotaku they showed a couple of titles that might not yet have been officially announced for a Western release. Might be Demon's Souls, White Knight Chronicles was confirmed to be shown there.

For a hands on, check the Eurogamer thread:

PS3 Exclusive "Demon's Soul" - PS3 - Gaming - Discussion Forum /// Eurogamer - Games Reviews, News and More

a LOT of people playing it and posting in depth responses.

22. Wamphyri

Wamphyri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    A lot has been made about the difficulty of this game, and I can confirm it's difficult. Not in a challenging way, but in a totally annoying way. I played it for around an hour, then got killed. Got back to the same point and fell down some stairs and pulled about 10 mobs in the process, died, back to the start again. Hoo hum. There are no checkpoints, save points, NOTHING (that I have seen yet), until you have completed the whole level. and the levels are not small.

You die, you start way back at the start with all the enemies respawned. Totally ruins the game, which is a shame as other than that, it's pretty decent.

Waste of £60 importing this TBH.

23. Widge

Widge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    The levels have areas where you will unlock permament shortcuts through the level. Make sure you have a sift through the Eurogamer thread.

You certainly cannot play through this game like a hack and slash. Traps, enemies, the environment... all situations which can kill your person off. By all reports, if you die, its your own fault through careless progress and combat. One bod's main grief was that he would progress through a level, die, go through it again to pick up his souls that were dropped and would die earlier because he'd get complacent that he'd already gone through the level.

Don't forget, once you die, you become a soul and will have reduced HP etc... with the only way to resoul being to defeat a demon, or via a certain item. I believe when you are a soul, you can go into someone elses game to assist them. You can also summon souls yourself to assist you. There is the flipside where someone may decide to invade your game to kill you, you can do the same yourself!

24. Widge

Widge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
  25. Wamphyri

Wamphyri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    Careless progress and combat??? sounds like every game to me.

All the frustrating reasons above make this game ridiculous. So you die, then get reduced HP to get back to the same point where you died???

I own this game, trust me, it's backward.

26. Widge

Widge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
  27. theblacksheep

theblacksheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

28. daddyduche

daddyduche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
  29. Robothamster

Robothamster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,357
    Sounds really good from their review. :smashin:

30. prvjoker

prvjoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    heh getting my copy in the next few days. From reading the eurogamer threads this game sounds exactly right up my street. It's old skool. It's non-linear, it's a proper survival-horror game where you don't have checkpoints to back you up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.