Demonic Movie Review & Comments

Mark Costello

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
I guess I'm less surprised by this than some others then. I thought the goodwill Blomkamp generated with District 9 quickly dried up because Elysium was pretty bland and Chappie was an absolute disaster on every level.

With that in mind, I expected nothing less from this latest work...

Thanks, good review.
His Alien reboot looked like it could have been good and would have definitely been better than Covenant.
It seems this was missing Sharlto Copely, hasn't he been in all his films up to this? Shame I was looking forward to Demonic, it could have been great.
Was District 9 just a fluke?
I think I've referred to Blomkamp on here before as "the human embodiment of diminishing returns" and it sounds like I wasn't far wrong.
District 9 was amazing, Elysium and Chappie were ok, not terrible and a cut above most action films.

A Blomkamp film gets a 4.

giphy-3.gif

;)

It's a good job he never got that Alien gig :D

As a massive Alien-fan, I was thankful that he never got the green light with his Aliens sequel given that it sounds like such a dumb idea and he should have been on trail at the Hague for crimes against humanity for Chappie.

Despite hoping a smaller budget and complete creative control would have given Blomkamp a return to form, but this sounds like another bullet to dodge.

Blomkamp is so overrated. And still somehow garners hype before an inevitably crap movie appears.

The plot reminds me of Tarsem Singh's The Cell which was visually stunning and had jennifer lopez and Vincent D'Onofrio star in it.

But it still has a respectible 6.4 on imdb and did have an oscar nomination.

Think i'll give this one a miss and hope the cell gets a 4k release to rewatch it.

The plot reminds me of Tarsem Singh's The Cell which was visually stunning and had jennifer lopez and Vincent D'Onofrio star in it.

But it still has a respectible 6.4 on imdb and did have an oscar nomination.

Think i'll give this one a miss and hope the cell gets a 4k release to rewatch it.
Man, I LOVE The Cell. Would be on a 4K release like a tramp on a chip as the old US blu is looking a little ragged now.

If Demonic had spent as much time in the simulation as we did in the dream world of The Cell it would have been so much better.......

I didn't even like District 9, Elysium was ........ watchable but throwaway. I doubt I managed more than 20 mins of Chappie.

I didn't even like District 9, Elysium was ........ watchable but throwaway. I doubt I managed more than 20 mins of Chappie.
It’s so good to see someone who actually agrees with me 😂

Thanks for the review Mark, and therefore a very easy pass.
Always considered Blomkamp a hack with a half decent first film and 2 turds since.
Thankfully we were spared his total destruction of the Alien franchise.
Let him stick to his own studio shorts and spare us anymore turkeys.

'The much-missed Neil Blomkamp' - Nope
'while we all can agree that his aborted Alien sequel would have been the greatest film ever made' - seriously, just no.

Oh man, am I really the only person who has time for Chappie????????????

Come on people, he was cute! And Hugh Jackman had a mullet. Surely that's a movie all in itself right there.......?????

Er............okay, maybe not...............but I really did enjoy it. And even got somewhat emotional at that bit at the end........yes, I am a sap and yes, I do get emotional at almost anything on a movie screen. Nothing in real life mind, just what's on a cinema screen.............

Thanks for the review Mark, and therefore a very easy pass.
Always considered Blomkamp a hack with a half decent first film and 2 turds since.
Thankfully we were spared his total destruction of the Alien franchise.
Let him stick to his own studio shorts and spare us anymore turkeys.

'The much-missed Neil Blomkamp' - Nope
'while we all can agree that his aborted Alien sequel would have been the greatest film ever made' - seriously, just no.

I must be the minority then, because I really enjoyed District 9 AND Elysium, and find Chappie flawed but hardly a turkey - I think I just expected more from him.

I also think Ridley Scott is the one who we should all be terrified of being near the Alien movies.

Why are people happy somebody with a different vision hasn't had the chance to do something with the mess Ridley made? That Aliens sequel idea sounded tremendous, think the closest we'll get to it is an audiobook and a couple of comics.

I'm with Cas. Even if you aren't fan of Elysium or Chappie (both flawed but fun), the way Blomkamp directs sci-fi action and showcases weaponry and hardware makes him a perfect fit for Aliens. Look again at his visual style: imagine it with xenomorphs, marines and power-loaders. I'm geeking out just thinking about it.

I must be the minority then, because I really enjoyed District 9 AND Elysium, and find Chappie flawed but hardly a turkey - I think I just expected more from him.

I also think Ridley Scott is the one who we should all be terrified of being near the Alien movies.

Why are people happy somebody with a different vision hasn't had the chance to do something with the mess Ridley made? That Aliens sequel idea sounded tremendous, think the closest we'll get to it is an audiobook and a couple of comics.

I still feel if Ridley had stuck to his original plans for his Alien trilogy, things might have turned out better. But because of the negativity surrounding Prometheus, he back tracked to try appease Alien die hards and thus made a mess of Covenant and killed the franchise. Blomkamp would have been fan appeasement at best. Just my view, and slightly off topic.

I still feel if Ridley had stuck to his original plans for his Alien trilogy, things might have turned out better. But because of the negativity surrounding Prometheus, he back tracked to try appease Alien die hards and thus made a mess of Covenant and killed the franchise. Blomkamp would have been fan appeasement at best. Just my view, and slightly off topic.
Absolutely nothing good could have come from Prometheus. His entire concept was a muddled, silly, pretentious mess, and he managed to ruin the 'space jockey' for all time.

Absolutely nothing good could have come from Prometheus. His entire concept was a muddled, silly, pretentious mess, and he managed to ruin the 'space jockey' for all time.

All good and as film fans we can agree to disagree 😀 I still watch Prometheus every now and then, especially in 3D, but rarely Covenant. To me, any new sci fi is better than none, or rinse and repeat sequels, which is what Blomkamp would have made.

All good and as film fans we can agree to disagree 😀 I still watch Prometheus every now and then, especially in 3D, but rarely Covenant. To me, any new sci fi is better than none, or rinse and repeat sequels, which is what Blomkamp would have made.

What sci-fi? ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom