1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Demoing Pioneer 504, Suggestions welcomed

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rnjones, Jan 17, 2004.

1. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, after some research and a bit of casual viewing of plasmas, I have decided that the 504 is the one I want to focus on.

My two key sources are Sky+ and Denon 2900.

This afternoon I went to a localish HiFi shop where they had one on demo. Unfortunately they couldnt hook up a Sky+ box to the 504. They did have Sky+ connected to a 434 and I thought the picture was sufficient.

They had a Denon 2800MKII which we connected on component. We watched a bit of Gladiator (I assume R2) and Die Another Day (R4). Even after a bit of tweaking I have to say I wasnt blown away by the DVD picture quality.

They also demoed the Home gallery feature which I though looked very good.

Coupled with the 6K price tag, I wasnt sufficiently motivated to flex the plastic.

Anyway whilst trailing around other shops, with the bird, it occured to me that the 2800MKII was almost certainly outputing an interlaced PAL picture as it does not support PAL Prog.

Unless of course the Gladiator disc was R1. I am not sure but it didnt have any of the traditional FBI warning logos so I am pretty sure it was R2.

So the question to you good people. If I had demoed with the 2900 using PAL prog would the picture have been dramatically better? I hope so.

What I need to do is find a 504 where I can demo Sky+ and 2900 PAL Prog. In or near Hertfordshire.

Any other hints and tips on getting a good demo would be welcomed.

Cheers Rog

2. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have a 504,and have played several dvd players through it both in region one and two_On all accasions the picture has been super.Why you found a poor picture I just cant undrstand
    Players I have used,are pioneer 868,denon A11 and my reference player the proceed with pvp card.The pioneer plasma is in itself so outstandig that it should be near impossable to produce a bad picture.

3. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The 2800MKII Does Do Pal Progressive.......

4. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rscott, thanks I didnt know that. However the chap in the shop did no setup on the 2800 as he did not have the remote. He just plugged the component cables into the media box of the 504.

In this case would you expect it to run PAL Prog as standard?
    I am not sure.

Anyway I take Alwyns comments on board and I need to see the 504 with a setup Iam going to use and with parameters tweaked.

Rog

5. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Did you notice a little blue light on the front of the 2800MKII?

If there was a small blues light on the left hand side of the display, then it was outputing progressive scan..

Ryan :smashin:

6. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it would be well worth getting a demo of the 868 player via HDMI to the 504. It can do interlaced and progressive and you can switch between component and HDMI in order to compare the PQ.

The 868 will output 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p & 1080i.

And there's a huge number of parameters to adjust - it's a tweaker's delight (or you could just watch lots of films....our DVD spending has gone through the roof!)

7. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi , Ryan, yes on at least one disc I did notice this. I remember because the 2900 has a blue light when it is playing SACD. As the 2800 doesnt support SACD I was wondering what it was.

Now I am really kicking myself for not getting into the config more. As a fully fledged techy I feel ashamed to have not done this. :eek:

Suzywong, yes I would like to look at the 868. But as my 2900 is only 8 months old there is no chance of a new DVD player so it will just make me groan inwardly if I see a top picture on HDMI.

Rog

8. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well if you noticed the light on, and there was no setup done between discs then it means that Pal Prog will have been on all the time, there is no way of turning it off without going throught the setup menus and it isn't disc specific, once on its on.

Ryan :smashin: