Demoed JM Lab sib & cub today

salva

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, After diching BW 600's because space. I was looking for Sat /Sub system, budget 500 -1000E euros.

I've demoed Kef 2005.2, Infinity Alpha, Infinity HCS ii, BW VM1 and JM Labs sib cub.

The final showdown has been between, VM1 and sib cub. The VM1 was more aggresive but much more les detailed. On a clasical piece you were not able to identify all the instruments, while the sib/cub defined clearly all the orchestra. And on films, as well the details, were again clearly defined.

I've to say that the best package is the JM Labs sib cub, the detail and definition beats the rest (to my ears, at least). I've got a good deal at 900 Euros (642 Pounds).

Perhaps, the only two faults are a lack off "deep bass" due to the
small 8" driver, and a lack of upper mid range detail (hence the lack of agressive sound)...

My only concern, even if I have close the deal, is that as per this test

http://www.focal.tm.fr/bancs/export/jmlab/sibcub/gam_11.pdf

There is a gap on the end of the band, at around 12K ..

- Any coment on that ?

- Any comment, either negative or positive abt those speakers ?

Tks

Salva
Spain

Originally posted by salva
Perhaps, the only two faults are a lack off "deep bass" due to the small 8" driver, and a lack of upper mid range detail (hence the lack of agressive sound

I think most of the sub sat systems suffer from a lack of deep bass as the subwoofers aren't really true syb bass speakers.

The Americans call them midwooofers :D

I've upgraded the sub so i'm running 5 sibs with a velodyne SPL1000 and they sound much better

To my eyes they also look great on their matching stands

Originally posted by common
I've upgraded the sub so i'm running 5 sibs with a velodyne SPL1000 and they sound much better

Well ... I'vo got a very good deal, in wich if I taked the whole package vs taking only the sib's, there was only a difference of 142 Pouns. So, that's why I've taken the JM Lab's cub sub.

Perhaps I will upgrade in the future.

I've taken as well on the process of selection a few measurements of frecuency response of sib's vm1's and some expensive Jamo's that were on the shop.

I'll put those today, just for fun.

Salva

I'm not great with these graphs - looking at the JMLab one does it tell anyone which would be the best crossover setting I should use on my amp ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom