1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

demoed dyns and pmc today

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mick23, Feb 17, 2004.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi all had dem of dynaudio 62 and pcm tb2 today was trying to find speakers that would possibly be a bit forgiving than my cdm1nts ,without loosing out on detail.

kit used below.

arcam cd72 , denon 2803 (nearest to my 3802 they had in stock)

chord speaker cable ,ixos 101 i/c??

all 2 channel sterio no av

tried da first then tb2 felt tb2 a bit overpowering in midbass ,and the metal tweeters a bit too sharp .

so most of demo was with da 62 as i prefered the sound to pmc tb2.

they had ex dem pair of 62 , used these to see what i thought.

could not however tell exactly what volume level 2803 was set at the display was not working or turned off .

then tried with cyrus 8 integrated found sound to be a bit thin.

tried musical fidelity 3.2 a step up no doubt,

tried with more modest arcam a75+ at first this sounded a bit "tinny" but after modest time 6-7 mins is was quite good .

in the end bought ex dem of dynaudio 62 after a good listen .

cds were tubular bells/eagles /chris rhea/michael jackson, and ol

2. Digger

Digger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    welcome to club dynaudio. . . .club exclusivity, as i prefer to regard it:smashin:

good choice

3. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You will not regret the Audience 62s.

I have Audience 72/62/122C and the Sub-30A driven by an Arcam AVR200 & DV88+, and the kit sounds great with both music and movies.

I'm planning a AVR300 when it comes out, at which point I think I'll add pair of Audience 52SE for the surrounds (and use the 62s I have for rears).

Don't know how many hours are on your dems, but the Dyns start to sound much better after they've been run in for a while.

Good pick!!!

Dean

4. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    digger/dwette see your both using a 122c as center ,the revelant center for 62 , seems to be the 42c, whats the differance between the two??

re 62 first heard the shop pair ,then the ex dem ones, ex dem ones sounded a tad better, could be the fact that the (amps ) had got a bit warmer though??

only slight concern i could not tell what the volume was on denon , i forgot about the dimmer switch on front panel, although the arcam 75 seemed to drive them ok, not sure what the arcam 75 is rated at though watts wise.
    thank you

5. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The 122C is bigger and has two low/mid (+ tweeter) drivers. The 42C is smaller with one low/mid driver. The 122C is designed to match the 122 towers, and I choose it because I have the 72 fronts, which are somewhat similar. I would think the 42C works great with 62s for fronts.

The ex dems could very well have sounded better if they were more broken in. When I got my Dyns they sounded better after running them in for about a month, and they really opened up after several more months use.

The AVR200 I use to drive the Audience speakers is 70 WPC, 5 channels driven, at 8 ohms. The Dyns are 4 ohms. In a 14' x 22' x 8.5' room I can drive my system to very loud levels without problem. The AVR300 I'll get later will be 7 x 100 WPC @ 4 ohms. I think my sub is about 150 W (w/a 12" driver).

Dean

6. JonLeach

JonLeach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Dean,

i have the 42 range all round in 5.1 config apart from sub. i have more than enough power amps to run 7.1 and actually have a pair of 42's spare. bought from a friend who upgraded!! to a pair of bi amp'able speakers.

i was actually thinking of going 6.1 instead of 7.1 and buying the 122c and using the 41c at the rear.

Will the 122c match the 42's or should i buy the £50 mounting bracket for the 42's and run them at the back???? on the wall

What do you think?

Jon

7. Digger

Digger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    Mick123

apologies for the late reply
    i bought the 122C for two reasons. first, was for the aesthetics as i have always carried out my listening and viewing with grilles taken off and the thought of staring at a speaker with a "standard" driver arrangement lying horizontally on top of my tv kind of persuaded my decision to look at the pricier more symmetrical 122C instead; second is that you get a better sounding centre channel. i spoke to Dynaudio who told me that tone-matching would still be more than adequate across the front soundstage. looking at the specs, they suggest that they might be a tad easier to drive at 6ohms as well as having better power handling

i have no complaints so far

cheers:D

8. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks all had dyns since monday, on dealers suggestion left amp powered +cd powered up overnight, so amp is warm,

still finding dyns simular to my cdms a bit too revealing and showing up some of my cds a bit too clinical sounding.

tried vdh i/c in place of dnm reason 2 found "bass a bit too ploddy" am using silver aniversery sp cable.

i do not know how many hours 62 have had ,dealer stated they had not been used for a while apart from 2 hour dem i had .

seems from other threads dyns require a long run in time ,

do not find using dyns+3802 compared to cdm1nts +3802 dissimular as regards amp volume though ,

could do with a bit "more smoothness " as regards sound quality ,but have no idea how i can achieve this,

did find getting the 62 level and solid on carpet over solid floor a rather "trying experience"

what are nad 319 powers???

9. Digger

Digger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    NAD 319 was a fairly well respected integrated amp from a couple of years back. NAD amps allow you to split their pre and power amp sections by removing connector pins on the back panel so i am now using it as the power amp for the front l & r speakers

cheers

10. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    The A75+ is rated at :-
    8 ohm continuous 50W
    8 ohm, 1 channel, 1 khz 60W
    4 ohm, 1 channel, 1 khz 90w

I have the A75+ and use it to drive my Linn Ninka's. I have them bi-wired at the moment and they're driven effortlessly rarely going past the 9 o'clock position at normal listening levels. The A75+ also has tha av in functionality which is very usefull. Would recomend it to any one wishing to increase their front end for music. It's been replaced by the A80 now so you can find them around at a good price too (best I've seen was £260 iirc):)

11. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hawklord i tried a75+ at dem ,must admit it was a step up over the 2803 that was used , and as you point out has the av processer option , and are reasonable price now.

the dyns though cannot be biwired/biamped??? they only have single pair of terminals as i believe do all the dyns.

how you getting on with your new cd player ??? do you find its a big step up over cd72

12. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I have'nt got it as yet I'm due to receive it later this week:)
    I certainly believe it's a marked step up from the cd72t it even bettered the cd93T imo. Looking forward to having a play when it arrives.

13. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Give the Dyns a chance, they'll sound much better after you've used them awhile. I'm about to go thru the same thing, since I'm getting a pair of 52SEs to use as surrounds when I get my AVR300 (leaving the 62s for rears). I'm considering getting the 52SEs sooner so they'll be run-in by the time the AVR300 ships.

As regards, the 62s on carpet. If you can get through to a wood subfloor, drive some philips-head woodscrews thru the carpet into the floor and position the speakers spikes on them. That will give you better stability and some extra leveling leeway. If you ever need to remove them, you'll never notice the carpet has holes in them.

Dean