Demoed a Sony HS1 today - need advice!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Paulherb, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Paulherb

Paulherb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi everyone,
    I had a look at a HS1 today, not checked out LCD projectors for a while now and wanted to know how close they are getting to CRT.

Was quite supprised how visible the pixels were considering its native res is 800 x 600. Any how I only want it to play video games on as my CRT is not very Console friendly with burn in etc.

Just a few questions

1. Can I hook up my Iscan pro to the HS1 and feed it 576P. I think in the shop they were feeding it 480i from an american DVD.

2. The shop screen was only about a 1 to 1.5 wide, I was wanting to go at least 7 to 8 foot. Any comments.

3. Does the HS1 have an anamorphic squeeze mode to get the extra res from DVDs. The guy in the shop said he thought it had one but said you would never need it. Think he was talking through his a** my self.

4. How does the HS1 compare to the Panasonic Pt-ae100? A lot cheaper.

Any help would be most welcome!

Cheers

Paulh.

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,051
    The Sony does have a 16:9 mode, but it letterboxes on its LCD panel, so you get less resolution than with a 4:3 image. But for games, which are mostly 4:3 at the moment, it should be fine.

For me, the panasonic gave a much better picture for movies.

But I haven't tested it with games. And bear in mind that it has a 16:9 panel, so 4:3 games will only use the center 640x480 pixels. If you're only using it for games, the higher resolution of the sony in 4:3 mode might make a difference.

3. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Can't say that I've notice distinct pixels, but maybe if you are used to a CRT you would be more inclined to seem them (I sit approx 2.5m away from the supplied 1.2m wide screen).

According to the manual, the unit will accept progressive PAL signals. You'd need the appropriate cable (extra cost) though.

The supplied screen is 1.2m wide, I wondered about using a bigger screen at a later date myself and when I asked around the group received a report that said even at 2m wide the picture was still good.

The unit doesn't so much have an 'anamorphic' squeeze mode, as allow you to input a full anamorphic signal and scale it appropriately. ie. you aren't getting any more scanlines per inch of screen but instead are getting more scanlines from your source before scaling. I can confirm that it makes R1 widescreen material look a lot better, R2 material looks a little better to my eyes.

Gav

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Top man Paul

CRT for watching films

LCD for playing games.

This matter of burning CRT's with games is a bit blown out of proportion. So long as the contrast an brightness are brought to sensible proportions I see no reason why damage should occur with sensible game playing levels.

Unless like my son you are going to be a proffesional games player. He has asked for a job as a games tester but they have not replied yet.

5. Paulherb

Paulherb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers Gents